Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any chance airguns will be legal for hunting?

Does anyone foresee us being able to hunt with airguns in PA?
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any chance airguns will be legal for hunting?

NO to the near future
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

^^+1

and to hunt for?
    i would only hunt rabbit and squirrel with an airgun. even then you'd need shorter ranges and something over 800fps in .177
    squirrel have a hard head.

and the reason behind this is because allowing airguns would mean allowing little baby red ryder type toy airguns and not just the high velocity varmint takers, right?
    which would lead to inhumane slow kills on small and "slightly too large for airgun" game.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

I'm not sure what offends me more. Your total ignorance of what an airgun is, or your anti-gun statements.

[QUOTE=fallenleader;1853941]^^+1

and to hunt for?
    i would only hunt rabbit and squirrel with an airgun. even then you'd need shorter ranges and something over 800fps in .177
    squirrel have a hard head.[QUOTE]

Folks are hunting wild boar with .50 caliber airguns, not daisy BB guns. BB guns are not what the adults are talking about here. A simply regulation stating a pointed projectile, of certain weight and velocity, would address your concerns. And no, it doesn't need to be 800 FPS and no, I wouldn't hunt more than sparrows with a .177.

and the reason behind this is because allowing airguns would mean allowing little baby red ryder type toy airguns and not just the high velocity varmint takers, right?
    which would lead to inhumane slow kills on small and "slightly too large for airgun" game.
    Yes, the states that allow game hunting with airguns have reported large numbers of zombie animals wallking the terrain. It's horrific...

Your post is the basis for the anti-gun philosphy that guns kill people. You need to evaluate what your stance is. It's not the gun that kills the animal, it's the shooter. And any responsible shooter would never hunt with a BB gun, or with an air gun that did not have enough power to cleanly kill game at a specified distance. This is why responsible hunters don't shoot a deer with a 243 at 400 yards. It's the shooter, not the gun. Responsible hunters act responsibly. By implying otherwise, you must believe that gun crimes in America are the result of the gun.

So why don't you think on what your stance on guns really is and let the responsible adults talk.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

wait, what?
    i wasn't trying to be anti.
    i was pondering (typing, in a questioning form) what the reason behind not allowing my definition of airguns for hunting which as you pointed out, i need educated, not yelled at.
    and was only pondering such because i was blatantly ignorant of the fact that they make airguns as you describe.
    as i obviously misunderstood the topic, i'll leave because i have no knowledge or information to contribute, unless you would like to provide me with some education on the topic of which i'd be happy to stay and ask questions and learn.

and please don't demean me by inferring i am irresponsible or a child, i may have chosen poor wording but did not set out to offend anyone.
    Last edited by fallenleader; January 9th, 2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: wrong word.

(Allegheny County)

Get in line behind Sunday hunting and Semi Auto's....

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    wait, what?
    i wasn't trying to be anti.
    i was pondering (typing, in a questioning form) what the reason behind not allowing my definition of airguns for hunting which as you pointed out, i need educated, not yelled at.
    and was only pondering such because i was blatantly ignorant of the fact that they make airguns as you describe.
    as i obviously misunderstood the topic, i'll leave because i have no knowledge or information to contribute, unless you would like to provide me with some education on the topic of which i'd be happy to stay and ask questions and learn.

and please don't demean me by inferring i am irresponsible or a child, i may have chosen poor wording but did not set out to offend anyone.
    Ok. I certainly don't want to drive anyone away. I read your view ad synical and your last statment read like a conclusion. I can't believe it, but somehow I'm apologizing on this topic But accountability is something that lacks in our country and I thought you were passing the buck of a shooter's incompetence on to the weapon itself. If you meant no offense, then neither did I. Boy, now I'm really glad I deleted what I first wrote

GTA is an excellent airgun forum - Gateway to Ariguns. The biggest problem is, as you read about airguns, start shooting them, etc., you find yourself wanting to go afield with them. I honestly would stick more with a springer and .22 pellet, but there are guys with scuba tanks for air, than can precharge their gun and have at it. My kids are getting interested and last week I read where a shooter in Oregon, claiming self defense, shot and killed a bear with his airgun!

Honestly, in today's economy, I think pellet guns could help both hunter and retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb74 View Post
    Get in line behind Sunday hunting and Semi Auto's....
    Wait! I got it! Sunday hunting is for air guns only, semi-autos are fine. Think about it. There's no noise, so the bible thumpers won't mind and you can zing pellets to your heart's content

so the benefit to using airguns, is less cost per shot and less sound?
    i did do a google search to help alleviate my ignorance, came across some .50 caliber guns.
    never knew there was a hunting grade or market for such devices.
    can rounds be home cast out of lead like a traditional muzzle loader?

and thank you.

btw, i'm trying to get into hunting, but do so poorly(accuracy) at the range, that it's self explanatory why i'm still "trying" to get into it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    Does anyone foresee us being able to hunt with airguns in PA?
    Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    Wait! I got it! Sunday hunting is for air guns only, semi-autos are fine. Think about it. There's no noise, so the bible thumpers won't mind and you can zing pellets to your heart's content
    IF you want "no noise" go buy a suppressor & pay the tax stamp or you can always use a bow & arrow.

SH HB 1760- hot item right now stuck in the political mud and hunters are NOT doing there part to contact the Reps to support this effort.

semi-auto HB 347- another battle with politics components Eclipsed by SH and not much gun owners - hunter support for even little change for limited use to deal with pest, let alone for big game.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    NO to the near future
    The long answer is to Why NO:
    There are several section of existing law that would have to be changed about air guns, definitions that would have to be re written.

Local communities can regulate air guns so a preemption clause would have to be included.

After all of that the PGC would still have to want to legalize them for hunting, and right now never heard even a rumble out of them to even consider allowing them. (Have you contacted or talked with your PGC BOD about this subject? step one)

Never even had a legislator ever bring up the subject of air guns regulation in years of talking about hunting - firearm rights and problems within the existing UFA

Going through all of these legislative efforts, expending political capital and the PGC may not even bother to change the wildlife codes to allow their use for hunting at all, leaves air guns low on the wish list of stuff that needs addressed.

We only get so many bites at the apple in any given session to change the laws, every effort expends resources.

There is a long list of stuff that should be fixed first before air guns. Not that they shouldn't be, its just a matter of priorities allocation of effort and focus, along with the few people willing to work tirelessly at trying to change the laws. How many people are for air guns being legal for hunting? & are they willing to work for the change?

Still anyone can schedule a meeting with your Reps and ask them to submit a bill to address the problem.

Better have your ducks lines up with all the reasons to change is required.

Even IF a bill is drawn up its then going to the other Reps to get them on board to even change the laws, its not easy as you have to gather lots of people support to any change submitted, including fighting against someone hijacking your efforts and amending the bill into something anti-gun, so there is always danger with opening legislation.

IF we don't have a solid support base with many Reps and support among the general public you can have a worse result by amendments, that you might have to oppose your own bill. It happens often to kill efforts to change.

IF you want help in contacting you rep in how on to proceed or gather up information to lobby for change with legalizing air gun for hunting send me a PM, I got other legislative issue on my plate right now, its pretty full still will help support your effort to change the laws to having Any chance airguns will be legal for hunting..
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast