Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How did all you hunters fare so far?

I hunted opening day at Hillman State park SGL #432. I saw 10 deer, none of which were bucks. My buddy was posted about 80 yds from me and shot a small bowl racked 9 pt.
    I could have shot a doe in some real thick stuff with my .44 but they were small and I chose not to shoot a doe.

I left at about 10 after 4 as I was unfamiliar with the area. They actually moved the location of the road about 90 degrees just to screw me up. My partner drug his deer for an hour, ended up at his starting point and called me on the radio asking me where the trucks were. They moved our trucks too.

Tuesday we went to familiar territory(Cross Creek lake)but heavily hunted. My buddy shot a doe. He saw 18 deer. At 2 PM , I hadn't seen a deer so when I finally saw one,I shot it. Jerky for the boy, ground meat for the pups. Tenders,chops, and roasts for me.

While at Cross Creek, the hunting gods chose to leave the road and trucks where we left them.

Next Sat I'll probably hunt Allegheny Co with slug gun for either or.

How did the rest of you hunters do?

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: How did all you hunters fare so far?

Zilch so far here - but that is because of work and a back that is so darned tweaky I can't walk too far or keep still long

Hope to sneak out once or twice and maybe next week tho it'll be way colder - try my luck. I usually use my 45-70 BFR or SRH in .454. Saves carting the rifle around.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

CombatCarry.com CCW forum

(Luzerne County)

Zip so far, however....only because I opted not to take one.

Around 9:30 I was dozing/cat napping when I heard something off to my right. Opened my eyes to see the back 1/4 of a deer walking out of sight. Oh well......I'm sure it was a doe

Around 11:30 I had my choice of three doe that were working their way towards me. I held off, hoping something bigger and better would be following. They got within 30yds of me in my blind. If I could have dug my camera out of my bag I could have got some great pics.

They were the last things I saw that day. Back at the parking lot a guy had a medium sized doe and another guy with more metal in his ears, lips, eyebrows and nose that I had in my gun said he took a 6-pointer.

Didn't hunt today because the wife had a doctors appt. I'll be out tomorrow and the rest of the week.

(Bucks County)

Not much up in Susquehanna County. Spent about 6 hours in the woods on opening day... scoped 7 doe, 0 buck. What I found supprising, however, was a significantly less than usual amount of shots fired within audible distance (SGL's are about 1/2 mile away, as well). Usually there's a fair amount of shooting to be heard the first few days of the season, but from the amount that was going on, I have to assume others in the area were having about as much luck as I had.

Couldn't have asked for more perfect weather, though!

(Cumberland County)

I love to go to the range and shoot my pistols, but I'm not much of a hunter. However, I am happy to report that the hubby got a nice size doe yesterday and my 19 year old daughter is gutting her 8 point buck as I type. They've been in Tioga county since Sunday. They have one more doe tag for Tioga, so I doubt I'll see them till Friday or Saturday.

(Delaware County)

Seeing A lot of deer in Delaware and Chester counties. I got a nice doe with my crossbow and shot another doe with my muzzleloader. So far nothing for firearms season but I am going out after work on Thursday to try and get the six point I sailed a crossbow bolt over during archery season I hunt all private property and the landowners don't like me to pass up does so I shoot whatever walks out. Good luck to all!!

(Cambria County)

I'm going out in the morning. Didn't have the hours to take vacation, so have to confine myself to Saturdays. Wish me luck, guys!
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: How did all you hunters fare so far?

Here's my daughter with her buck. She didn't get anything last year, so she was a happy little girl!

(Philadelphia County)

KL,

If I were a Saudi King, I'd offer you 100k camels for your daughter.

She doesnt seem like the type who'd throw up a fuzz if she gets a little deer blood on the gucci bag.

Now THAT'S a woman!!!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Union County)

kLPOLK3

Very nice congrats to the young lady.
    Glad to see we are getting more ladys into hunting.

grizz

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast