Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default 870 express combo

Hello everybody,
    new to the shotgun world, I recently joined delaware county field and stream and the trap shooting looks like a blast. However my first priority is a home defense shotgun. Well I was looking at the rem 870 express combo which seems to fit the bill for both? I was wondering if anyone out there had an opinion on this shotgun. It will probably sit mostly as a HD and I will get out for trap a couple times a year. I know the 870 is tried and tested but haven't heard much praise about the combo fitting the bill for both scenario's?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: 870 express combo

Have the same combo. Versatile as all get out. Smooth bore for small game and clays and a rifled barrel for deer and HD. Not the sexist trap gun but reliable. We also have a 20 gauge 870 Express that the kids have out grown that is being converted to a tactical HD shotgun.

(Delaware County)

thanks Red

Quote Originally Posted by redjollymon View Post
    Have the same combo. Versatile as all get out. Smooth bore for small game and clays and a rifled barrel for deer and HD. Not the sexist trap gun but reliable. We also have a 20 gauge 870 Express that the kids have out grown that is being converted to a tactical HD shotgun.
    870 Express has parkerized finish and its a thing of joy and beauty to behold. Wipe it down with an oily rag and spray the rails with WD40. good to go.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Philadelphia County)

I recently bought an 870 Express from another DCFS member with the same idea in mind; home defense and trap. Mine came with a 28" vent rib barrel which should be good for table trap. I'll pick up a shorter barrel for home use. Since you only load 1 or 2 rounds for table trap a pump gun will be fine for me. If I find that I really like the sport and want a dedicated gun the 870 can be relegated to home duty and an upgrade will take it's place at the range. Or it would also be easy enough to sell the 870 if I decide to upgrade.

(Bucks County)

If you consider jumping to mossberg. they make a field combo that comes with a 28" vented rib and 18.5" breacher barrel. Cabela's in hamberg has them for a reasonable price.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gif5006 View Post
    If you consider jumping to mossberg. they make a field combo that comes with a 28" vented rib and 18.5" breacher barrel. Cabela's in hamberg has them for a reasonable price.
    yes I was looking at these:
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products

for some reason the links go to the beginning of the scroll, so you have to arrow over to the field/security combo's

the pump combo is 319.00! the semi auto is around 500.

RIght now the pump is out of stock at buds, but it seems like a sweet deal, I know if I get a separate hd shotgun I will never use it, this I will cycle it shooting trap and keep it maintained. thanks for the input, I still have some time to decide

Quote Originally Posted by redjollymon View Post
    We also have a 20 gauge 870 Express that the kids have out grown that is being converted to a tactical HD shotgun.
    You hear some folks praise the 20gauge for HD due to lower recoil and being more family friendly as a result in that role.

Sorry back on topic,
    OP, couldnt go wrong with the 870 Combo. Great multi-tasker.
    Last edited by brownman; January 10th, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

(Delaware County)

My grandfather gave me a nice 870 Wingmaster Magnum last year. I've put a couple cases of shells through it learning trap at DCFS.

It stands next to the bed for HD duty when I'm not blowing up (or rather, trying to blow up) orange discs.

If you have a wife, or kids, it might make sense to go for a 20 gauge for ease of use.

(Dauphin County)

I figured I had the gun with ammo. So I added a folding stock and locked it with our our BOL stash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast