Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default CCW: looking for .45

Hey guys, first post here! Please excuse my ignorance!!!

I have a Beretta 92a1 that I really like. i like having a gun that can be decocked with a round chambered. I just feel better about it. The 92 is just a little big to carry.

I rent warehouse space in pretty bad area. A buddy of mine already had an encounter by some thugs outside but when they saw his holster they just walked away.

I really like the Kimber Crimson carry models but is there anyway to safely decock a newer variant of the 1911. Never shot a single action only semi auto so will trigger pull fire a chambered round. I am talking like the Beretta. Once I decock it, will the initial trigger pull cock the hammer or does it have to be cocked manually first. I would think I would would have to manually cock the hammer.

Other guns I am looking at are hk usp compact in .45, or glock. any others out there worth checking out. I wasn't big on the glocks but my buddy has a 17 and it conceals nicely. i am also looking for decent capacity which I know is an issue with .45.

I just really like the styling of the 1911.
    Last edited by Sants; January 3rd, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: CCW: looking for .45

First of all Welcome to PAFOA.

Second, since you are familar with Beretta, you may wan to look at the PX4 Storm in a .45auto.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/p...cp-910-rd-mag/

(York County)

If you're already a Beretta (and a decocker) fan, have you looked into the Stoeger Cougar in .45?

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...ger_cougar.php

The Mrs shoots the Beretta Cougar 8045 and she really likes it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Monroe County)

Try to get your hands on a S&W 4506.

For a .45, I'm partial to the SIG P220 myself. It has the decocker you like, but sorta big if you have a LTCF and want to conceal.

(Northampton County)

Sants you have got a lot of good info her already ,but I will give you some more to think about . First the beretta PX-4 storm in 9mm or 45acp even if you get the compacts are still on the large side. The fullsize are just to big for concealed carry-open carry, who cares use any of them. The smith and wesson and the sig are both excellent chopices and are both decockers. Another excellent choice would be a Cw45 Kahr 45acp single stack striker fired pistol or the glock subcompact in 45acp. Now you could also get a PO7 Duty in 40 cal or 9mm both are decockers and come with spare part to turn it into a single action with a safety for locked and cocked carry,gives you additional choices. The best thing to do would be to get to a range local to you that rents pistols so you could try some out before making a decision. Subcompacts come with draw backs increased recoil and requires a lot more training for some to use them effectively. My best advice seek out local forum members who own what you want to try out and set up a range trip with them. If you can not do that look for a range that rents pistols out and go try them out. For a small package in 45 acp I would go Kahr Cw45. My opinion only Brian/EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Taurus PT-945.

(Lehigh County)

Glock 30 for me. I have been lusting after a Dan Wesson CCO lately.

(Allegheny County)

It's hard to find a DA/SA .45 that's not huge unfortunately. The PX4 is not as huge as some.

If you are OK with 8 rounds, SIG P220 Carry. PX4 gives 9 or 10. If you like the slide de-cocker, go PX4.

Me, I'm trying to justify concealing the FNP 45 tactical!
    Stay frosty....

(Bucks County)

any 45 that holds more than 7 or 8 rds is going to be difficult to conceal due to the width and over all length. however with that said a good holster and the right clothing you can successfully conceal almost any firearm. if you're looking for concealabilty and don't mind limited mag capacity look at the old SW 45 series pistols they're heavy but built like tanks and 100% reliable plus you can usually find them used for around 400+/-. if you're looking for 10 rds or more the SW M&P, springfield XDM, FN FNP45, HK 45c all hold between 10 and 15 rds. once you find the right gun find the right holster to go with it and you'll be OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast