Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Delco Field & Stream Military Service Rifle League

On Sunday, January 8, 2012, DCF&S will begin to hold its annual military service rifle league on the high-power range. Shooters may compete with any issued military type rifle from any era with the following restrictions:

• 6mm caliber or larger (sorry, no 5.56)
    • Original configuration with iron sights (no scopes or red-dots).
    • Slings, if attached, may not be utilized

The course of fire will be 100 rounds (shooter supplies their own ammo) over a 5 week period (20 record shots per week) from the offhand standing position using the standard 100 yard small-bore target(TQ-4). Shots are taken in 10-round relays. Each relay has a 10 minute time limit. If you miss a week or two you can make them up at a later time, but all record shots must be made by February 5, 2012.

The fee for the league is $15 & shooting will be Sundays from 9am to 12 noon. The league is open to all shooters, not just DCF&S members.

We usually see a lot of Garands, M14's, 1903's and Mausers on the line but if you want to compete with a Mosin Nagant, SKS, AK, etc feel free to sign up and shoot.

Default Re: Delco Field & Stream Military Service Rifle League

Curious, Why isn't the 5.56X45mm included? The Round has been in service since 1963. and the M-16 M-4 and AR platforms are still in current use.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; January 3rd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Curious, Why isn't the 5.56X45mm included? The Round has been in service since 1963. and the M-16 M-4 and AR platforms are still in current use.
    My thoughts also??
    if the 5.56 round is not included they should change the name of the league.

(Delaware County)

I have drill this weekend so I can't make it, but it might be fun to take my M1917 for the later shoots..

Just wondering - what's the prize? If its just bragging rights, thats fine..

(Delaware County)

Other folks have also been asking about the "6mm" and larger rule. For the past 30 years or so, the league was limited to M1 Garand rifles (it was called the "Garand" league). In 2011 it was decided to open it up to any military service rifle in order to get more participants, hence the name change. However, the match director felt that the 6mm rule was warranted because there is at least a perceived advantage of the 5.56 round over larger calibers in terms of accuracy, recoil, etc.

Perhaps we should call it the "vintage" military rifle league next year and have rifles conform to CMP vintage rifle class rules, assuming that the 6mm & larger limitation will still be applied.

I know of one other shooter who will be using a 1917 this year. The "prize" is really just bragging rights, although all participants do get their name and final score engraved on a plaque which is hung in the HP range office for all to admire (or ridicule). If you miss the first week that's fine. You can come by next weekend and make-up for it.

(Delaware County)

Just curious. Is this league still around and if so, has it been opened up to 5.56 yet. I would think it would be beneficial with so many AR shooters out there these days. May be a good way to pull in more new members as well.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    Just curious. Is this league still around and if so, has it been opened up to 5.56 yet. I would think it would be beneficial with so many AR shooters out there these days. May be a good way to pull in more new members as well.
    Yes, the league is still being held and it always starts on the first Sunday of January. We had 17 shooters this year. Top score was an 850-7x out of a possible 1000-100X using an M1A. Despite my wishes to the contrary (I don't shoot my AR much but would like to see more shooters) the 6mm rule was still in effect.

I will however, point out that this year we're going to be holding a military service rifle bench rest match on June 8th and AR shooters are allowed to compete. Course of fire consists of 10 record shots from the bench rest position at a paper bullseye target using military service rifles. Classes will include Issued Sights rifles (rifles with original, as-issued sights), Any Open/Iron sight class (rifles utilizing non-issued sights) and AR-15 class (rifles built on the AR-15 platform). Issued Sight and Any Iron/Open sight classes will shoot at a TQ-4 (8” bullseye) target and AR-15 class shooters will shoot at an MR-31C (5” bullseye) target.

If you can get a lot of AR shooters to show up, shoot, and complain about not being able to shoot their rifles in the offhand league then maybe he'll consider opening it up to 5.56 shooters next year.

While I'm at it, I'll also advertise our Lever Gun league which starts this coming Sunday, March 16. 100 shots, offhand, at targets placed at 100 yards with any lever action rifle of 6mm caliber or larger. Iron/open sights only. Shooting is done over 5 weeks on Sunday mornings between 9AM and Noon.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

(Delaware County)

I know I can get two to show up. But I'll spread the word best I can. Thanks for the info! I'm planning to head up on Friday morning to check the club out with a friend. And the shoot in June sounds fun.

(Delaware County)

I am a member at F&S, have friday off, and would love to meet some PAFOA members. Let me know what time you are going and I'd meet up with you.

(Delaware County)

Meeting my friend around 9am. probably stay for an hour / hour and a half. Going to get my app and all and hopefully get my signatures and sign up or the orientation. I'd be happy to meet anyone who belongs. We will be on the high bore range. He's shooting his ar and ill have my remington 700.

hope to see you out there.

mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast