Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Positive encounter at First National Bank

Yesterday I went into the First National Bank in the South Side of Pittsburgh as I have for years, open carrying as usual, in order to cash a check and get some Christmas cash. I had been a member there since back when it was Iron and Glass so I go up to the teller and hand her my check and about to show proof of ID and she's says, "thats ok, I remember you". So, im there often enough to be remembered.

Apparently they hired a new guard and this guy walks up to me while im at the teller and says "you can't have that firearm in here".

I turn and look at him and simply and politely say, "you're mistaken, i've been a member here for years and there's no policy stating that".

He just reiterates that he doesn't think im allowed. At this point, i shrug it off and turn back to the teller to finish my business. I kind of think he initially thought i was just going to take his word for it and leave. When that didn't happen after a few seconds he goes away and I think he talks to the manager on duty.

This is where things get good.

The TELLER, looks down, sees that i'm OC'ing and says "oh, that's the kind of carry where you don't need a permit, as long as it can be seen right?"

I smile at her knowledge and say "you got it. Its called open carry". She smiles and finishes the transaction, we wish each other a Merry Christmas and I leave. While im in the parking lot the guard comes up to me and emphatically apologizes. After talking to the manager he was told that I am more than within my rights to carry and that First National does not discriminate against the 2nd Amendment. He says he didn't mean any disrespect but he's from florida and the banks he worked down there had stringent anti gun policies. He also said some of the other banks in Pittsburgh have similar anti gun policies. To which i reply "that's not why i don't use those banks".

I make one more point that its easier for a bad guy to rob a guy coming out of a bank than it is to rob the bank itself to which he responded that it makes a lot of sense. He shook my hand, apologized again and Merry Christmases were wished.

First national bank is definately going into the Friend or Foe map as a strong friend of the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.friendorfoe.us/

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Positive encounter at First National Bank

Quote Originally Posted by prophet23 View Post
    Yesterday I went into the First National Bank in the South Side of Pittsburgh as I have for years, open carrying as usual, in order to cash a check and get some Christmas cash. I had been a member there since back when it was Iron and Glass so I go up to the teller and hand her my check and about to show proof of ID and she's says, "thats ok, I remember you". So, im there often enough to be remembered.

Apparently they hired a new guard and this guy walks up to me while im at the teller and says "you can't have that firearm in here".

I turn and look at him and simply and politely say, "you're mistaken, i've been a member here for years and there's no policy stating that".

He just reiterates that he doesn't think im allowed. At this point, i shrug it off and turn back to the teller to finish my business. I kind of think he initially thought i was just going to take his word for it and leave. When that didn't happen after a few seconds he goes away and I think he talks to the manager on duty.

The TELLER, looks down, sees that i'm OC'ing and says "oh, that's the kind of carry where you don't need a permit, as long as it can be seen right?"

I smile at her knowledge and say "you got it. Its called open carry". She smiles and finishes the transaction, we wish each other a Merry Christmas and I leave. While im in the parking lot the guard comes up to me and emphatically apologizes. After talking to the manager he was told that I am more than within my rights to carry and that First National does not discriminate against the 2nd Amendment. He says he didn't mean any disrespect but he's from florida and the banks he worked down there had stringent anti gun policies. He also said some of the other banks in Pittsburgh have similar anti gun policies. To which i reply "that's not why i don't use those banks".

I make one more point that its easier for a bad guy to rob a guy coming out of a bank than it is to rob the bank itself to which he responded that it makes a lot of sense. He shook my hand, apologized again and Merry Christmases were wished.

First national bank is definately going into the Friend or Foe map as a strong friend of the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.friendorfoe.us/
    Looks like I might have to find a branch near me.

(Berks County)

I've been looking for a new bank! thanks for the info
    "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" -Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Looks like I might have to find a branch near me.
    I'm thinking the same thing, but a search of "First National Bank" results in endless responses. I'm hoping the OP can clarify which one it is so I can see if there are any in eastern PA.

(Allegheny County)

This is the First National Bank of Pa headquartered in Hermitage, PA. Here's a location guide if your curious.

https://www.fnb-online.com/personal/...ocGuide1a.ashx

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by prophet23 View Post
    This is the First National Bank of Pa headquartered in Hermitage, PA. Here's a location guide if your curious.

https://www.fnb-online.com/personal/...ocGuide1a.ashx
    Ok. Thank you for posting that. While the location here is semi-close, it may be too far for me to use as a regular bank. Maybe they offer some sort of other service that could be of use to me.

(Cambria County)

I smile at her knowledge and say "you got it. And it is a real gun, now hurry up and give me the money!". She smiles and finishes the transaction, we wish each other a Merry Christmas and I leave.
    Thought I'd add a little variation to the story...LOL!

While im in the parking lot the guard comes up to me and emphatically apologizes. After talking to the manager he was told that I am more than within my rights to carry and that First National does not discriminate against the 2nd Amendment. He says he didn't mean any disrespect
    Good job OCing and educating the guard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Pike County)

Very cool. I especially like the reasonable approach from the guard in the end, that had no problem admitting he was mistaken.
    Je suis déplorable

(Bucks County)

Must be just where I'm from....but the only place I've actually seen a guard in a bank....is in the movies.

(Luzerne County)

<GASP> You said, "Merry Christmas"? The nerve of people today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast