Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: No Go Walther

Default No Go Walther

I have an Walther P1 from 1966 that I've had for about 4 years. It has since I bought it had some issues firing at the first trigger pull, when I took it back to the store they said it just needed to be cleaned, and it did work a little better after that, though not perfect. Now it's not firing at all!!! It puts a dent in the primer, but not enough force/travel to fire. Since it stopped working I've cleaned it far beyond 'field-strip', replaced firing-pin and spring, and hammer-spring! Also tried different ammo, still no go. It worked okay this summer, and I always clean my gun after a session. Any ideas or similar experience???

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: No Go Walther

I never touched one, but I have a question. Does this pistol have a firing pin block? If it does, is it possible that it isn't moving out of the way when the trigger is squeezed?
    Last edited by Breadman03; January 3rd, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

(Berks County)

Did you check the hammer drop and the springs that run that part?

Also take the cover off of the top of the slide that covers the firing pin and loaded chamber indicator. With the hammer cocked, and slide locked back, see if the firing pin will move forward.

Did you check the firing pin for damage?
    gotta love her ;)

(York County)

You said that your firing pin is denting the primer of a cartridge case:

I'd start by checking how powerful my mainspring is. Does the hammer tension "feel" normal when you cock the pistol? Is there a change in tension and does it feel very light? If so, your mainspring may simply be tired and needs replacing. Your gun is over 40 years old after all and it may have been well used before you got it.

Second place I'd check is the firing pin and assembly under the dust cover of the slide. Lift it up and out to get to the firing pin, spring, loaded chamber indicator, etc... (you can google detailed directions from the Marstar web site to remove the top of the slide) Next check to see if all the parts are in correct arrangement and nothing is binding inside. Another poster already suggested checking the tip of your firing pin to make sure it wasn't broken off.

It could be that a object has gotten into the mortise of the firing pin and is partly blocking it. Look at the on-line diagrams to see how things should look inside, though if you've got a foreign object inside you should be able to see it.

Good luck getting your Walter's problem cleared up. Hopefully all you have is a minor one.

Good advice, My first thought was crud built up in the firing pin channel, But if you replaced all that, I assuming you cleaned it. Second thought is what type of ammo are you using? Reloads? Factory? have you tried different brands of Factory?

I have (2) P1's and never had any trouble, Mine are later models from the 80's though, But that shouldn’t matter none.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check the movement with the slide cover off.
    It does have a firing pin block, though if that didn't get out of the way I don't think I would even get a dent in the primer (which I do).
    The firing pin is new, as well as the main spring, and everything under the slide cover is well cleaned and graphite-lubed. So that should rule out quite a bit...

With any surplus pistol that old that's been thru who knows what , a thorough cleaning and a fresh set of Wolff springs is always a good idea and cure for most ills.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(York County)

2Hotrob:

So the problem don't seem to be the springs or blockage.

I just thought of two other things that might be the source. One other poster already suggested that it might be your ammo. Are you shooting a milsup ammo? Some of that has very hard primers, esp. if the ammo was made for SMGs.

The second (my likely culprit at this point) would be to check your firing pin protrusion. Simply put, is your firing pin long enough to hit the primer?

The last possible thing that I thought of that could cause the light primer strike is headspace in the chamber. If your chamber is too long it would cause the case to slip forward when hit by the firing pin. This could also happen if the slide isn't going fully forward (or if the barrel isn't all the way back), though I have NO idea what circumstance would cause this to happen.