Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury duty.

Default Jury duty.

I've been called up for jury duty end of this month. Anyone have experience using the lock boxes as the court house? Any tips for getting through security smoothly?

Thanks!

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Default Re: Jury duty.

I would imagine the lock boxes are all the same in Pa. . Walk in and ask where the lock boxes are. Go over lock it up. (((((TAKE YOUR KEY!))))) Then walk back through the detectors.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Maybe your ticket out of jury duty.

Prosecutor: "How do you feel about guns?"
    You: "Great! As a matter of fact, I brought my Glock with me today!"
    Prosecutor: "Next!"

(Allegheny County)

If your going to intrust your firearm to strangers I'd suggest giving it to them in one of these, that way you know your gun is safe from fondling.

http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(York County)

I can only tell you about my experience here in York. Both York courthouses have magnetrons and lock boxes for firearms, and the folks staffing the checkpoint seem very knowledgeable in what to do.

My suggestion would be to try to do a search based on the name of the courthouse, see if any incidents or experiences are reported here.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I've been called up for jury duty end of this month. Anyone have experience using the lock boxes as the court house? Any tips for getting through security smoothly?

Thanks!

Justin
    Yeah, I got the call too. They don't reimburse for one's considerable -- potentially outrageous -- expenses, but I feel all goose bumpy with pride just thinking about the honor of it, though not sure I can afford it if selected. I've crunched the numbers, and they show clearly that if my assigned trial were to run over about 15 minutes, I can't afford it.

That's okay, I can panhandle out in front of the courthouse for lunch money. Maybe shine shoes to pay for bus fare or rob a Subway Sandwich to pay for parking. That's just week one of my budget, according to the numbers. Main thing is I love all the math and stuff.

Anyway, as to your issue, Justin, I figure to just leave my guns at home. What could happen in a courthouse, for pete sake? Front page news? Instant fame and the gravy train that follows? You bet. I'm in. Shoot me, you nutjob. From whatever dark corner or room you spring, just aim for the periphery. I need the money, and an interview with CNN couldn't hurt my movie career.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsyHowl View Post
    Yeah, I got the call too. They don't reimburse for one's considerable -- potentially outrageous -- expenses, but I feel all goose bumpy with pride just thinking about the honor of it, though not sure I can afford it if selected. I've crunched the numbers, and they show clearly that if my assigned trial were to run over about 15 minutes, I can't afford it.

That's okay, I can panhandle out in front of the courthouse for lunch money. Maybe shine shoes to pay for bus fare or rob a Subway Sandwich to pay for parking. That's just week one of my budget, according to the numbers. Main thing is I love all the math and stuff.

Anyway, as to your issue, Justin, I figure to just leave my guns at home. What could happen in a courthouse, for pete sake? Front page news? Instant fame and the gravy train that follows? You bet. I'm in. Shoot me, you nutjob. From whatever dark corner or room you spring, just aim for the periphery. I need the money, and an interview with CNN couldn't hurt my movie career.

^^^^^

Best answer. LOL.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsyHowl View Post

Well, since he can't carry it in the courtroom that point is moot. But a lot could happen on his way to and from the courthouse. He could get mugged walking there, he could get carjacked getting his car from the parking garage, he could come home to a robbery.

BTW, I like the idea suggested above about bringing your own locking device, except I think a locking bank deposit bag would be easier to deal with. Easily rolled up in a back pocket while you walk in. Easily deployed. I may do that the next time I have to go to the courthouse.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bradford County)

I've openly carried a handgun directly into the courthouse in Towanda... there's a second set of doors (right near the giant cannon thing on the step) separating the "illegal area" from the "OK here".

IF you look to your left as you enter the main set of doors, there are several lock boxes on the wall. You lock your personals up in there, and there's no issue.

I'm not sure how to proceed if you're carring a DE .50 or something, and it won't fit in the box... maybe you alert the Sheriff Deputy standing at the metal detector, and they'll check your belongings for you until you return?

I got called for jury duty a couple years ago when I still lived in Allegheny Co.

It is (was) a simple procedure when I went. You'll have to enter the courthouse from the rear entrance on Ross St. since that is where the lock boxes are located. This entrance is at the top of a set of maybe 10-12 steps off of Ross St. if I remember correctly.

Enter the courthouse, there will be security right there about 10 feet inside, and off to the left before the metal detectors is the Sheriff's office area, which is where the lock boxes are located.

I'm not 100% on the "correct" procedure, but I just asked security working the metal detectors if I could check my firearm (before attempting to go through security naturally), and they pointed me to the Sheriff's office door on the left.

Poked my head in there, stated I needed to check my firearm for jury duty, and they said just put it in a box and take the key.

No one attempted to "assist" me or "unload" my pistol, they just went about their business while I put holster and all into a box, and pocketed the key.

Kind of funny, because the remainder of the day, I kept getting called "detective" every time I went through the metal detectors (back from lunch, etc...) because I put the lock box key with a County Sheriff's key fob into the box when emptying my pockets. I guess they don't get many "regular" people that check guns there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast