Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 6906

(Cumberland County)

Default S&W 6906

So picked up a few more guns this week - I really need help One is a ex - LE 6906 in excellent condition. From what I've read and seen, they are a pretty good pc., very accurate and reliable. Anyone have one ? - pro's/con's ?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: S&W 6906

While I don't own a 6906 I do have other gen 3 S&W guns and they are by far my favorite. I have a 4006, 1006, and a 4506. If your a fan of a gun with a big grip you'll love it. I highly suggest the Hogue grip for it. The factory grip is by far the worst part of the gun. Does yours have fixed or adj sights ?

There is always a bunch of stuff in GB for those guns and you can even buy an extra slide to change your current sights to the other if you should so choose. I bought all of mine with adj sights. As far as I know you cannot put a fixed sight on a gun that came with adj sights. The cut/dovetail in the slide is different.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; December 31st, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Wyoming County)

I carried a 5906 as an issued duty weapon for about 10 years...very reliable.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    So picked up a few more guns this week - I really need help One is a ex - LE 6906 in excellent condition. From what I've read and seen, they are a pretty good pc., very accurate and reliable. Anyone have one ? - pro's/con's ?
    I carried both a 669 and 5906 for duty weapons and both were very reliable. I still have them today although I switched to Glocks to carry. They are family and I will never sell them. I fired in excess of 2,000 rounds in each without a misfire.

(Westmoreland County)

I owned a 6906 a couple years ago, in that it was a very accurate and well-built gun. I reload 90% of my ammo. I do not know if it is all S&W 6906s or just this one. But this gun had a habit of bulging brass at the base much like the older Glock 22 in 40 S&W. unlike the 40S&W case. 9MM cases can not be repaired with a Bulge buster die. I sold the gun to a non-reloader. It was a Very nice gun just hard on brass.

(Juniata County)

My 6906 is my usual carry piece. I never had any issues (FTFs or FTEs) with it. While it is no way a bullseye shooter, it shoots well.

I do not have any issues with brass bulges like one of the previous poster. Sounds like he had a bad chamber. Either way, have fun. Its a nice piece.

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: S&W 6906

The s&w 6906 is one of the best they came out with back in late 80's . I had purchased that model in quantity and they lasted in dept for many, many years w/o problems. If possible gather up some extra 12 round mags when you find them( the mags for 6906, 669 469 are all the same) good shooting!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I had a pretty heavily customized 6906 for about 12 years i guess. Very good gun, i carried it on the street with me nightly for most of that time. No cons unless you don't like safeties. The triggers are just ok in stock trim, but a good polish job really improves the smoothness of the pull.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    While I don't own a 6906 I do have other gen 3 S&W guns and they are by far my favorite. I have a 4006, 1006, and a 4506. If your a fan of a gun with a big grip you'll love it. I highly suggest the Hogue grip for it. The factory grip is by far the worst part of the gun. Does yours have fixed or adj sights ?

There is always a bunch of stuff in GB for those guns and you can even buy an extra slide to change your current sights to the other if you should so choose. I bought all of mine with adj sights. As far as I know you cannot put a fixed sight on a gun that came with adj sights. The cut/dovetail in the slide is different.
    Sites are Novak style anodized 3 dot.
    Last edited by cruzans; December 31st, 2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling error :)

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the feedback all - sounds like a winner - looking forward to picking it up and getting to the range!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast