Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FNHX 9mm

(Montgomery County)

Default FNHX 9mm

I am leaning towards a FNHX - anyone have thoughts or experience with this handgun? A Sig P229 is a little outside of my budget right now! Your help, as always, is appreciated. Barb

(Beaver County)

Default Re: FNHX 9mm

Had my eye on the FNH then the FNX. I did some reading and talked to some guys that owned them and although the Guns are great shooters,it seems over time the more shot, the Gun starts to loosen up and rattles. I didn't like that so I never purchased. From what i've been reading lately, the FNH 45 doesn't seem to have that issue. Have you thought about a S&W M&P...?

(Bucks County)

i think FN makes great guns and are the most under rated handguns out there. in my opinion FN hand guns and rifles are every bit as good as any SIG, beretta or glock. im own several FN rifles and hand guns and i have no regrets about buying any of them.

(Lehigh County)

I have an fnp 45. It's a tank... Not a easy carry. If you are looking for a duty level carry piece, its a good one.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

I had one for a very short time that I got on trade. I got it with the idea of 1) trying out the brand and 2) trying out cocked and locked.

1) The DA/SA was somewhat similar to my brand new HK P2000, but with all the grit of a SIGMA. The DA was probably lighter than the P2000, but not as smooth a pull. The SA had way more of a sponge feel before it broke the shot. I don't know if it would have improved considerably...it was pretty bad. I'm a DA/SA guy, too, so keep that in mind. It was serviceable though, unlike a SIGMA or VP70 which are abysmal and demand the intervention of the beard of Zeus to not disturb the sight picture.

2) It was painful just to hold the thing for 5 minutes and dry-fire. I couldn't imagine doing a 2 day course with it. Sharp edges everywhere, the grip is especially uncomfortable. I would wear gloves if doing any heavy shooting. FWIW, I've had 3M grip-tape on my P2000 for the last couple months, which I do all my carryin' and shooting with, so it might be a case of me being a wuss but I'm not too sure given the liberal use of 3M grip tape on my go-to gun.

3) The ambidextrous mag release was junk. It was not easy to push the button, as it was generally very stiff and would also bind throughout the press of the button. I felt this way about the mag release on an FN Five-Seven as well, but not as much.

4) With a high grip, the function lever was digging into my right hand knuckle. This made it impossible to decock without really breaking my grip to something resembling how a person who's never received instruction on a gun would hold a pistol; almost like cradling the gun instead of gripping it. This was because my right hand knuckle would physically block the lever from decocking. Since guns come out fast and get put away slow, this was just an annoyance. I might also be heavily biased since I really like the rear mounted decocker button on the HK P-series.

5) I did not find the weapon easy to take off safe. It was nowhere near as fluid, user friendly or intuitive as a 1911. The lever just wasn't in the right spot for my hand in order to make a smooth presentation. It resulted in establishing a proper grip way too late in the presentation, since I couldn't unsafe it with a decent grip.

6) The FNX9 generally felt like it was going to break, or was assembled with material resembling cheap Taiwanese made toys you get at Walmart. It just didn't feel solid and smooth like a SIG, Glock, HK, Walther, M&P, ect.

7) I've never had a mag that was so tight to load. The only time I've cheated and used an Uplula was during one class...besides that, I've always used my fingers so I don't think it's an issue of me being new to loading mags. I've loaded mags for the SIG P220, P226, P228/229, P239, CZ75 SPO1, HK USP, HK P2000, P30, P7, Glock 26/19/17/22/23, Beretta M9, XD's, Kel-Tecs, LCP's, Kahrs, FN Five-Seven, various curio and relics.....I don't know, a lot of different guns, some of which had +10% Wolff springs. I have NEVER had so much trouble loading a freakin' mag. Unless you're Andre the Giant, I would seriously recommend an UpLula even just to load up one mag.

That's about all I can remember. I've met people who've had the exact opposite experience as me.

If you're concerned about price, consider used west german SIG's.

(Montgomery County)

Great info, thank you - also, a friend of mine who is a PA Game Commission Officer recommended a Beretta. I have a HK USP 9mm compact for carry, but thought about getting a full size for at home/business when I am "minding" the store. I am all ears.......thank you and Happy New Year.

(Montgomery County)

Hmmm.....recommended place to find German Sigs? Good idea.....

(Montgomery County)

Sure... check the used racks at Tanners in Jamison PA. There are fine weapons to be had there.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lehigh County)

Yep... Just don't take them to York council meetings
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Centre County)

I think FN guns in general are very under rated guns.
    I recently bought FNP, and was extremly pleased with it.
    Its accurate, reliable so far, and fits my hand nicely(with flat back strap)
    DA trigger is smooth, and light. SA trigger is short and crisp. Reset are easy to tell.

I've looked at few H&Ks in the past(P2000, USP, P30), and none of them fits my hand(although if money is of no object, I would love to own USP in 9mm, just have it. I think its one of the meanest looking hand gun...).

Sig are nice, but I really don't see anything that Sig(such as P226, P229, P250) have over FN. All I can tell you is that my Sig P226 Combat cost me almost $1200, and it didn't do anything better then my $399 FNP does. And my FN came with 3 mags.

Try handle all these guns. And buy what fits your hand the best.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast