Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: homemade suppressor

You guys need to calm down. Most people that are new to NFA refer to them as class III items. I would think that this comes from most people seeing the items at class III dealers. It's kinda like when some people call a magazine a clip. You know they are wrong but you understand what they are talking about.

Yes. Anyone can manufacture a suppressor even without a manufacturing license as long as the can will be for their own use and the have an approved form 1 from the ATF. You cannot be cranking them out and selling them as that would be illegal. Anything can be registered as a suppressor as long as it can have a serial number and manufacturer's info imprinted on it.

A potato could in theory be done but it would be a waste as it would be a single use. BUT......if you made an adapter that screwed onto you muzzle that a potato would be pushed onto then that adapter would be registered as the suppressor, not the potato. The potato would just be considered a part of the whole. Personally I dont think it would be worth the money to bother. I have seen someone make an adapter to screw a 2 liter soda bottle onto a Mac 10. The adapter was registered, the bottles were not.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy17 View Post
    Class 3= A fully automatic firearm. That's what my paperwork says, but hey, the ATF could be wrong.
    OK, we will start here. Class 3 is a reference to the Special Occupation Tax. SOT 2 would be the tax for a license to manufacture NFA items, SOT 3 would be the "dealer" that you have to go through to transfer NFA items interstate. Class 3, as previously stated, is NOT the status of your machinegun... it is a title 2 items. Your non-NFA items would be title 1 items.

for more information please refer to here
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/nfa-class...ppressors.html
    or here
    http://www.titleii.com

PA Patriot and MR Bell, I would like to make a suggestion. Before this topic becomes a cluster f**k and any more hard feelings are generated and for the good of the Forum and it's members, simply make a public statement to the topic starter that in fact he can legally make and install and use a potato as a suppressor. It comes down to the manufacture of the suppressor, IE; fitting it on the firearm and having it in one's possession.

To the topic starter, make a paper copy of their statement and put it away for that rainy day. The Gov. operates with the knowledge that it has all the time and recourses in the world and will in time take all of your assets and freedom in your prosecution.Not to mention the nasty stuff that will happen to you in prison. Oh and BTW, if convicted of a felony, you'll never own a firearm again.

PA P and MR. Bell, you do realize that at this point one could see the both of you as, at worst co-conspirators and at least enabler's. All of this over a potato....

I await for your statements to be posted.

PS, If I am proven wrong I will quickly admit being so.

WTF!??! hypothetically this is possible though it is not probable. Neither one of them endorsed the idea infact they both seem to think it's a bad idea but at no point did they say it was impossible. In fact as you even state PA Pat. is researching it just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I have no idea if the ATF has ever approved a potato suppressor. I highly doubt it. I don't care either as the OP did not ask about potatoes.

The OP asked about making a suppressor and you replied to him:
    "Buddy please, don't go there."

When questioned about that reply you followed up with the post stating it was unlawful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Yeah, I'll reply.

First: Do NOT associate my name with a "potato can". The potato nonsense started after my reply.

I answered, correctly, that a suppressor can absolutely legally be manufactured by an individual on an approved ATF Form 1.
    Just like a SBR, SBS, AOW. A private individual in not prohibited by fed law from manufacturing the above listed NFA items.

That is the CORRECT answer

If you disagree, Stimpy, please cite the law that makes it not so.

I've manufactured NFA items myself on Form 1's. Your insistence that it is unlawful is beyond incorrect. It's also incorrect that one would need legal counsel/appeals and the like to manufacture a suppressor after ATF approval.

Your opinion is not congruent with neither the law nor reality.

PS: There is no "class 3" or "class 2" ownership.
    "Class 3" and "class 2" is a type of dealer SOT tax paid by dealers to deal in NFA items and manufacturers to manufacture NFA items (for re-sale) respectively.

You may own NFA registered firearms, sometimes referred to "title II" firearms, but no such thing as "class 3" firearm.

Original post of mine pulled by me while I await conformation from MR. Bell or PA Patriot if the ATF ever OK'ed a potato silencer.
    That was the topic.

PA Patriot, you ran to the high grass REAL fast didn't you.
    Not sure why you pulled your post if you have nothing to hide, though it's quoted in PA Pats right bellow your so it was an exercise in futility. Also what's with the personal attacks? not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    do not do this, hate to say it, but thats illegal.

theres also a court case in Minn about it, potato used as improvised suppressor in a pawnshop murder.
    I would be intrested to see this case or at least the specifics pertaining to it.

Buddy please, don't go there.
    if you have nothing better or productive to post that this don't bother posting.

To me it seems clear you have some sort of agenda and made personal attacks on 2 reputable members amongst the NFA board. I'm not saying they know everything but they have both proved that they know this specialty in firearms extensively. I don't know what you think your going to accomplish by doing this but I think your just going to be moving backwards. There is NO need to stir shit like that and you know it. Knock it off! Let's ALL keep giving accurate information to the best of our knowledge and keep the NFA community moving forward!

cheers,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    Yes......you can use a potato as a suppressor......as long as you register it with the ATF via form 1. After doing that do you really wanna shoot your $200 potato?

Yes you can make your own suppressor after getting an approved form 1 from the ATF. You will however need to be sure you have the specs for your design as it is required on the form. Any change to the specs after the form is approved will leave the form invalid however so know what you are doing and how you are doing it before you plunk down $200 on a peice of paper. You will need at the very least a lathe with many bits, a drill press and possibly a welder depending on your design.(type depending on materials used) You will also need the knowledge to design said supppressor and use the mentioned tools. I would say you are probably better off just buying one though. The big companies spend big bucks on R&D and I doubt that one of us could do any better than one of their designs much less have it look as nice.
    just buy a bunch of potatoes and make a serial stamp so they all have the same serial number.

Im just kidding.

The potato thing doesnt even work...sorta like the steven segal suppressor.

(Allegheny County)

Dang!

I stopped in to see that the conversation wasn't wandering in an "undesirable" direction,(legalities)and what do I find?
    Stimpy flipping out about... well, I'm not even sure WHAT he's talking about.

Stimpy. Take a deep breath, man.

And since this thread has a legitimate question being asked, do we really need to keep talking about the potatoes? This isn't the lounge.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Dang!

I stopped in to see that the conversation wasn't wandering in an "undesirable" direction,(legalities)and what do I find?
    Stimpy flipping out about... well, I'm not even sure WHAT he's talking about.

Stimpy. Take a deep breath, man.

And since this thread has a legitimate question being asked, do we really need to keep talking about the potatoes? This isn't the lounge.
    everybody seems to of gone home

(Berks County)

Personally I like my potatoes sliced thin and fried crispy with a good amount of salt...........

I doubt that any approved ATF forms refer to a firearm as being a "class III firearm". I'd like to see it.

The National Firearms Act was enacted in 1934. It was re-enacted as Title II of the 1968 Gun Control Act. Title I of the 1968 GCA covers non-NFA weapons, Title II covers NFA firearms. That's why MG's, SBR's, SBS's, AOW's, destructive devices and silencers are correctly referred to as "Title II" firearms.

A silencer as defined by the NFA may be manufactured by any person who has obtained prior approval from ATF on a Form I. Any person at all, so long as he's not prohibited by his own history or his local law. PA law allows any NFA firearm except a "bomb", under PA's "Prohibited Offensive Weapons" statute.

If one describes a potato and includes appropriate diagrams, and is able to permanently mark it with his name, town, and serial number in characters .003" deep, one could get approval for a potato silencer. I think that the marking issue would trump the fact that the potato would blow apart, I suspect that ATF wouldn't approve a silencer that could not physically be permanently marked.

On the other hand, many folks who are not FFL's /SOT's have applied for and received prior approval to manufacture conventional silencers for personal use. This is not even arguably illegal, this is established law.

If your fetish is one-shot disposable silencers, the usual route is to register a coupler with female threading on one end to match your gun (1/2 X 28 is popular), and the other end threaded to match 2-liter soda bottles. The bottle blows out after a couple of shots, but the registered "silencer" remains and can be repaired as soon as you drink the last of your Pepsi.

(Lackawanna County)

C'mon guys!

We're supposed to be a community of mature gun owners looking to enrich our breadth of firearms knowledge!

It's not nice to pick on fellow forum members.

I, for one, am prepared to take Mr. Stimpy's potato issue very seriously.

Why can't you???

-
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Montgomery County)

I think this went downhill because a fool got involved in the thread, then made it worse (if possible) by altering his post so that it was fairly nonsensical in indicating that you cannot make a suppressor.

Stimpy, better to have people THINK you are a fool, than open your mouth and prove it, as you did.

you dont have to say WHAT the can is made of, just length, caliber and have the required markings on it.

once you mount, shoot, and make mashed potatos, all you do is write the ATF saying that the item has been destroyed, and you are out the $200.

as a note to folks, Stimpy went and negative repped me on my NFA Faq on "Process to acquire/make NFA items in Pennsylvania" Sticky, because hes a moron.

he posted this:
    stimpy17 "And get it approved first" JB, how many potatos has the ATF approved? This type of action will some day hurt all legal C-3 owners. Do you care? Can you please send me any proof of the ATF "approving" any homemade silencer.

So I PMd him this, in its entirety

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell
    You really are fully ignorant of a lot of things, and REALLY love to show your ignorance.

You give me negative rep because I correctly know the law?

I've been owning/making NFA as a private citizen since 1997, the very guy who got me into it was making his own silencers, in 22lr, 223 (on M16), 308 (on a Rem 700), 45acp (for a Stemple MG) and 9mm(on M11/9), all with APPROVED Form 1s.

Thats how the process works, you APPLY for permission to make the item you want, you can make anything but a MG for your own use.
    you list the:
    Caliber and length of the suppressor

mark down what additional info is required:
    Name
    City/state
    Serial number

add prints, $200, CLEO signature, and photos, and wait for approval.

the Form 1 is NOT used by licensed MFGs, they have different registration forms as they pay a yearly fee to make NFA items, the F1 is ONLY for private citizens who are not manufacturers.

You need to read the NFA FAQ by James Bardwell, Esq on NFA items :
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wb...st/nfa_faq.txt

the ATF says in their FAQ what needs to be registered or not, nd references the process:
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m1

In this ATF letter the ATF references making silencer parts as the same as making a silencer itself, and quotes the same process:
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wb...f_letter66.txt

"home made" silencers are no more or less illegal, or "hurtful to the C3 community" (of which I am a part of, and know scads more about the law and use of which than you) than a silencer or suppressor made by Gemtech or AAC, or Bowers, or whatever 02/07 SOT is making them for general sale.

you can also reference the following books:

Paulson, Alan C (1996). Silencer History and Performance, Vol 1: Sporting And Tactical Silencers. Paladin Press.

Paulson, Alan C; Kokalis, Peter G., and Parker, N.R. (2002). Silencer History and Performance, Vol 2: CQB, Assault Rifle, and Sniper Technology. Paladin Press.

and for simple, foolproof, see it right here on the web, reference this page from CNC gunsmithing (who is NOT a licensed MFG). he details the same process, and GASP, went and made his own suppressor:
    http://www.cncguns.com/projects/22silencer.html

its legal, get over it.

So next time, how about you just LEARN, instead of giving folks grief for correctly knowing the law.
    You think I went and wrote a FAQ without knowing the law?
    Ask Gunlawyer001, hes my personal attorney, who has also made NFA items on F1.
    Jay

obviously I'm not an NFA expert, but i also dont suffer fools gladly, I find it tiresome, and a waste of time.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Erie County)

I don't think negative rep from stimpy does much, has his rep is extremely low to begin with.

For good measure, I gave you some rep for your last post, so it all works out in the end.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!
    Last edited by doug; February 1st, 2008 at 03:47 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast