Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: homemade suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by dragonofpa View Post
    This is an easy one. Stick a potato on the end of a revolver and shoot. The first shot will be quiet!
    do not do this, hate to say it, but thats illegal.

theres also a court case in Minn about it, potato used as improvised suppressor in a pawnshop murder.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    do not do this, hate to say it, but thats illegal.

theres also a court case in Minn about it, potato used as improvised suppressor in a pawnshop murder.
    To be clear: I wasn't condoning this.

(Lycoming County)

i was just wondering because i want to go on to get my class 2 manufacture license but i wanted to play around with a few before i go through all the trouble thought paying 200 for 1 or 2 different ones would be a lot cheaper than going straight out for my class 2

(Berks County)

Yes......you can use a potato as a suppressor......as long as you register it with the ATF via form 1. After doing that do you really wanna shoot your $200 potato?

Yes you can make your own suppressor after getting an approved form 1 from the ATF. You will however need to be sure you have the specs for your design as it is required on the form. Any change to the specs after the form is approved will leave the form invalid however so know what you are doing and how you are doing it before you plunk down $200 on a peice of paper. You will need at the very least a lathe with many bits, a drill press and possibly a welder depending on your design.(type depending on materials used) You will also need the knowledge to design said supppressor and use the mentioned tools. I would say you are probably better off just buying one though. The big companies spend big bucks on R&D and I doubt that one of us could do any better than one of their designs much less have it look as nice.

(Allegheny County)

Original post of mine pulled by me while I await conformation from MR. Bell or PA Patriot if the ATF ever OK'ed a potato silencer.
    That was the topic.

PA Patriot, you ran to the high grass REAL fast didn't you.
    Last edited by stimpy17; January 30th, 2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Fact checking.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy17 View Post
    I guess some people have to learn things the hard way.

Do I know what I'm talking about? Yes sir I do. But please find you own path in life. Maybe laws don't apply to you. Go ahead and submit the paper work for your "potato can" and please keep us all posted to the results. Perhaps PA Patriot will give you a hand and the previous posters will help. They seem to want to help with their opinions so maybe they will help with the money, paper work and leg-work and endless appeals. Also. I'd be interested to see their reply in this post. Talk is cheap.
    Ask them.

Legal class 3 and class 2 owner for 5 years.
    Yeah, I'll reply.

First: Do NOT associate my name with a "potato can". The potato nonsense started after my reply.

I answered, correctly, that a suppressor can absolutely legally be manufactured by an individual on an approved ATF Form 1.
    Just like a SBR, SBS, AOW. A private individual in not prohibited by fed law from manufacturing the above listed NFA items.

That is the CORRECT answer

If you disagree, Stimpy, please cite the law that makes it not so.

I've manufactured NFA items myself on Form 1's. Your insistence that it is unlawful is beyond incorrect. It's also incorrect that one would need legal counsel/appeals and the like to manufacture a suppressor after ATF approval.

Your opinion is not congruent with neither the law nor reality.

PS: There is no "class 3" or "class 2" ownership.
    "Class 3" and "class 2" is a type of dealer SOT tax paid by dealers to deal in NFA items and manufacturers to manufacture NFA items (for re-sale) respectively.

You may own NFA registered firearms, sometimes referred to "title II" firearms, but no such thing as "class 3" firearm.

(Monroe County)

"You may own NFA registered firearms, sometimes referred to "title II" firearms, but no such thing as "class 3" firearm."

Thank you pa patriot! I get so F--'n tired of everybody calling NFA firearms-Class III...idiots!

Even the local LEO has no clue, when I received a "reference" form for a friend of mine that was buying a supressor, it stated that he was applying for a "Class III license", wow even the Sheriff's office can't get it right! It should read: that he was applying for a "NFA firearm transfer".

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy17 View Post
    Original post of mine pulled by me while I await conformation from MR. Bell or PA Patriot if the ATF ever OK'ed a potato silencer.
    That was the topic.

PA Patriot, you ran to the high grass REAL fast didn't you.

I have no idea if the ATF has ever approved a potato suppressor. I highly doubt it. I don't care either as the OP did not ask about potatoes.

The OP asked about making a suppressor and you replied to him:
    "Buddy please, don't go there."

When questioned about that reply you followed up with the post stating it was unlawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    "You may own NFA registered firearms, sometimes referred to "title II" firearms, but no such thing as "class 3" firearm."

Thank you pa patriot! I get so F--'n tired of everybody calling NFA firearms-Class III...idiots!

Even the local LEO has no clue, when I received a "reference" form for a friend of mine that was buying a supressor, it stated that he was applying for a "Class III license", wow even the Sheriff's office can't get it right! It should read: that he was applying for a "NFA firearm transfer".
    well i feel like a real dip shit thats what i've been calling them for the last three years. title 11 title 11.... got it.... thanks for the enlightenment.. carry on...........
    Last edited by bogey1; January 31st, 2008 at 12:17 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Class 3= A fully automatic firearm. That's what my paperwork says, but hey, the ATF could be wrong.

PA Patriot and MR Bell, I would like to make a suggestion. Before this topic becomes a cluster f**k and any more hard feelings are generated and for the good of the Forum and it's members, simply make a public statement to the topic starter that in fact he can legally make and install and use a potato as a suppressor. It comes down to the manufacture of the suppressor, IE; fitting it on the firearm and having it in one's possession.

To the topic starter, make a paper copy of their statement and put it away for that rainy day. The Gov. operates with the knowledge that it has all the time and recourses in the world and will in time take all of your assets and freedom in your prosecution.Not to mention the nasty stuff that will happen to you in prison. Oh and BTW, if convicted of a felony, you'll never own a firearm again.

PA P and MR. Bell, you do realize that at this point one could see the both of you as, at worst co-conspirators and at least enabler's. All of this over a potato....

I await for your statements to be posted.

PS, If I am proven wrong I will quickly admit being so.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast