Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Sig P220 on Lay-A-Way...UPDATE!! Not on Lay-A-Way Anymore!

UPDATE with Pics! http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/15...ml#post1851662

Some of you saw that I was looking for a P250 but I ended up putting money down on a gently used P220 in .45acp. I'm no Sig expert, but I have always wanted one and I have wanted a GOOD one! I think this is it! It fits my hand like a glove and has a SA trigger pull like a dream! It has a little holster wear on the front of the slide but nothing too major. The inside looks great...crisp, clean bore, no marks on the feed ramp...no noticeable galling on the slide or rails. I think it was carried but not shot a lot.

So, I am interested in learning everything about this gun. Is the slide stainless? I see mention of no external safety but it does have a trigger block safety on the left side above trigger. I believe it has an internal extractor. It has the mag release just behind the trigger, not on the heel.

So if you guys would be so kind, please tell me more about the P220 platform, what to look for and anything else I need to know! I closed my other thread since it was originally posted in respects to the Sig P250.
    Last edited by RocketFoot; January 7th, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig P220 on Law-A-Way...need more info on this gun

Pics would tell the tale - And date code, too (if it has one).

If it's an older folded slide gun w/ dual roll pins (usually marked "Made In Germany" or "Made In W. Germany"), then it's a carbon steel slide.

If the pin is solid, then it is a newer milled stainless slide (probably with Nitron over top of the SS).

The best source of info on the awesome P-series Sigs is the SigForum.

I bet 1BlindRef might be along with some pointers as well. I think he might have a Sig or two

Regards,

Bones

ETA - Do a Google search for "Flork's Guide" or something to that effect - Very detailed guide to gauging wear on a used Sig, as well as advice on proper lube to maintain the anodizing on the frame... Good stuff.
    Last edited by JoeyBones; December 30th, 2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Mention Flork's Guide

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Sig P220 on Lay-A-Way...need more info on this gun

This Wiki appears to be accurate: Click Here!
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Monroe County)

I have the older P220. It was the first pistol I ever owned. All I can say is that it is excellent. I love the trigger. It is accurate. Eats everything I've loaded into it. Never an issue. Carries well. Decocker kicks ass...oh yeah 45ACP!!

I have a P220R Carry, which is has a barrel length about 3/4" shorter than the standard 220. Everything else, (grip, frame, etc) is the same as the standard. The ergonomics are really good. Almost like a 1911. I've found mine to be totally reliable & an accurate shooter. I like it.

If yours has a rolled slide, then it's an older model. Those are preferred by some Sig people. Newer models will have SS slides & probably frame rails for WML's.

There have been some complaints floating around the error-net lately about QC & reliability issues with Sigs made in the last year or so. Both my Sigs (220 & 229) are about three years old & I haven't had any problems with either.

Oh; and if you like the 220, you'll be happy to know that a 226 will fit the same holster. Now you can start planning your next buy.

Hope this helps.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Can't go wrong with a P220. In the interim, if you'd like to try one out, I've got several. Just bring ammo!

Congrats Rocket, I'm in the same boat. I put an old WG 226 on layaway couple weeks ago. It will be my first Sig and I dont have much knowledge or experience with them. Its a bit beat up (the finish, it looks good inside) but thats ok. I dont even have the damn thing yet and I'm already thinking about different upgrades I can do for it. Grips, sights, re-finishing. Uh-oh, this could get bad.

+1 on visiting SigForum, our resident expert, 1BR, is over there too.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Westmoreland County)

Well, I called and got my SN: G187xxx Date Code: KC which indicates that it is a 1992 vintage. Looks like it was made in the US...not West German. So It should have the SS slide with Nitron coating, correct? I hope so because I WANT this to be stainless! LOL!

ETA: It also has Night Sights that still glow although very dimly. I'll probably need to replace the inserts.

Registered on SigForum but no email validation yet!
    Last edited by RocketFoot; December 30th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Well, I called and got my SN: G187xxx Date Code: KC which indicates that it is a 1992 vintage. Looks like it was made in the US...not West German. So It should have the SS slide with Nitron coating, correct? I hope so because I WANT this to be stainless! LOL!

ETA: It also has Night Sights that still glow although very dimly. I'll probably need to replace the inserts.

Registered on SigForum but no email validation yet!
    Nope, I'm pretty certain that you've got a folded carbon steel slide 100% German made P220 - The best of the breed (After 'W. Germany,' they stamped them 'Germany' for a number of years). It's probably got serials on the barrel, slide, and frame (I think they were still doing that in 1992)...

Finish should be either blued or "K-Kote."

Someone throw up the "Ref-SIG-nal"... He would not only know for sure, but probably has ready access to an identical specimen...

Congrats! You will love it. Now go buy the Hogue G-10 grips that I try and sell everyone on Oh and maybe an SRT kit for it... And some proper IWB leather, of course... And...

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; December 30th, 2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo

Some say the best 45acp ever made. Its a Sig so you will get comments like that really its never hardly ever entirely the equipment its the man behind the good gun even a P220 you need to practice with, standing there looking sly with that beautiful pistol in your hand means nothing if you can't shoot it well.
    Its a Sig we expect you to shoot it well. Pressure on what will you do.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast