Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Montgomery Wards Model 60/ Savage 620A Age?

I have an old Montgomery Wards WesternField Deluxe Model 60, which is a relabeled Savage Model 620A if I am not mistaken.

I picked this up today for free. It's a bit rough but I am getting ready to restore it and am curious to it's age.

Can anyone here tell me from the Serial Number which is: U59XXX ?

How about a link to a reference guide (Serial # to year of manufacture?)

Thanks,

TC
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; August 10th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Montgomery Wards Model 60/ Savage 620A Age?

Thanks to another member I have the following info:

Model 60 was made 1940~1943 approx 66,500 made.

(Berks County)

Just picked mine up 2 days ago. So far I absolutely love it! Make sure it's not a US military marked receiver before doing anything to it. I'll post some pictures up of it, do you have any issues with loading it? I can't get the shells to catch in the mag tube when loading. The shells back up onto the ramp making it impossible to load another shell.

From what I read online, the foregrip wood is prone to crack. I put a thin layer on the barrel side surface of carpenters glue to keep the cracks from getting any bigger.

Have you taken it down yet?

My gun is nothing special so I cut her down. In total I have $115 into her and she probably is my favorite 12 gauge.
    Last edited by Zet70; January 1st, 2012 at 11:24 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Just picked mine up 2 days ago. So far I absolutely love it! Make sure it's not a US military marked receiver before doing anything to it. I'll post some pictures up of it, do you have any issues with loading it? I can't get the shells to catch in the mag tube when loading. The shells back up onto the ramp making it impossible to load another shell.

From what I read online, the foregrip wood is prone to crack. I put a thin layer on the barrel side surface of carpenters glue to keep the cracks from getting any bigger.

Have you taken it down yet?

My gun is nothing special so I cut her down. In total I have $115 into her and she probably is my favorite 12 gauge.
    Just seeing this. Thought I subscribed, hmmm.

Anyhow, took it down to give it a cleaning and inspection today. It has alot of surface rust on the barrel and receiver, but the bore is unbelievably pristine and smooth, and the internals have no rust. It took some fiddling with the shells to stay in the tube, but I did get it to hold three, then it fed, fired, cycled, and ejected all three flawlessly.

Cool beans, I got me a free pump 12 gauge that will slam fire

Definitely not a military model. Mine is rebranded for Monkey Wards.

No cracks in the stock or fore end (mine is different than yours and had the ribbed wood).

Not sure what I will do with it yet, but with it being able to slam fire, I may cut it down to 18.5" and make it a defensive gun if I can fix the mag tube issue. If it helps, I found a source for parts here:
    http://www.gun-parts.com/savageshotgun/

(Berks County)

Is there a wooden dowel in the mag tube? When I took mine apart for the first time there was a wooden dowel in the tube limiting capacity to three rounds. She fits 5+1 now which is a ton of fun to slam fire!

Careful though, these old stevens shotties are addictive. I ran into another in a shop a few days ago. A 1909 model 520 for $55.

Yup, she came home too. We are now a happy family.