Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need to find an apartment in the Pittsburgh area

Hey guys. I'm moving to the Pittsburgh area full time and looking for an apartment. What areas would you guys recommend?

Here's my criteria:

1. The job I'm taking is around the Waterfront in Homestead, so I'd like a reasonably easy commute in. If I could keep it under 20 miles one way that would be great, but I know that may not be doable.

2. I have family and friends to the north, so something to the north and maybe a bit east would be ideal. I know that probably clashes with #1 though. To some degree #1 takes priority.

3. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means, but I'd like to live in a decent place and in a nice, safe neighborhood. I have a safe, but I'd like to be able to discreetly get a long gun case out to the truck without being too paranoid about nefarious characters seeing it.

Given the work location I think this might be a little difficult. What do you guys think?

Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: Need to find an apartment in the Pittsburgh area

check out the northern end of the south hills..................my daughter lives in the baldwin area.................pretty nice....................its not Bellefonte but then no place is

How much you looking to spend? Two bed/two bath townhouses in my nice plan are about 1500/month.

Easy access to 79 and the parkway, 10 minutes to Robinson, 15 minutes to downtown. Plan is very nice, quiet and safe. It is pretty rural for being this close to the city. Collier sportsman club is literally 60 seconds away. You can hear shooting there from here.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin///M; January 1st, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Thanks for the replies guy, keep them coming.

birdhunter317: I lived on the outskirts of State College, but yes, it's going to be tough to top that. I had a pretty nice apartment away from the downtown student madness, in a nice neighborhood, the rent was awesome and I was 10 minutes from the range. I miss it already.

JustinHEMI: Looks like a nice general location, though that's a little more than I want to spend. I'd like to keep rent under $900. That's kind of an arbitrary number actually, but I just hate to spend too much on rent when it's just me.

(Allegheny County)

It may just be me, but I would make sure my commute to and from work avoided the Squirrel Hill and Ft Pitt tunnels.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Look at chestnut ridge apartments in Robinson. Nice, but cheaper. Right on parkway and all the shopping.

(Allegheny County)

I would seriously avoid the South Hills in your case. You'll have to deal with two tunnels each way every day to get to the Waterfront area and you WILL hate it. Trust me. Do NOT take a place south of the city.

My opinion would be to look at Squirrel Hill, Shadyside or the East End first and then start looking north. North Hills to the Waterfront isn't a terrible commute (and NO tunnels!).

Sorry Justin!

No skin off my back, just giving suggestions based off my knowledge area. I go the OTHER way for work, up to beaver, so I don't know how sucky it is to go INTO the city from here for work. :P

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    I would seriously avoid the South Hills in your case. You'll have to deal with two tunnels each way every day to get to the Waterfront area and you WILL hate it. Trust me. Do NOT take a place south of the city.

My opinion would be to look at Squirrel Hill, Shadyside or the East End first and then start looking north. North Hills to the Waterfront isn't a terrible commute (and NO tunnels!).

Sorry Justin!
    Umm, not true. I can get to the waterfront in 10 - 15 minutes (depending on time of day, how many I lights I hit, etc.) with no tunnels, even though its a farther drive than from Squirrel Hill. In fact, my recommendation would be just the opposite, stay out of the city. While there may be some nice neighborhoods in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside, the rent is going to be higher and there are bad neighborhoods just blocks away.

OP, take a look at South Park, Bethel Park, Jefferson Hills, Pleasant Hills, or Baldwin/Whitehall. There are also some decent neighborhoods in West Mifflin, which is closer to work for you, but it has some bad ones, too. I would steer clear of Clairton, Homestead, Duquesne and McKeesport, but I'm sure someone will come along and disagree

(Beaver County)

My buddy's roomie stiffed him and moved out when he got back from Maryland for Christmas. He lives on one floor of a three floor house (each has separate entry.) The place is in Bloomfield and is 950 total a month with most utilities included. Off street parking in the rear. It's not a stellar place, but I could pass it along if you'd be interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast