Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Safely taking off someones enamel attempt from a shotgun

Picked up an old Stevens takedown model for cheap and need to remove what remains from a terrible brushed on enamel paint job. I want to only remove the enamel and not the original patina which is under the paint and remains on the parts of the barrel and reciver which the paint has alreadly flaked off of.

What would you guys reconmend for doing this? The paint flakes off with my finger nails so I was thinking about trying some 70% alcohol, some hot soapy water, and a sponge.

Ideas?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Safely taking off someones enamel attempt from a shotgun

It sounds like you're on the right track. Without knowing exactly what kind of paint, how long it's been on, how it was applied and what the surface preparation was it's hard to guess what the best method of removal would be.
    Start gentle, alcohol shouldn't be too harsh. There's a chance that gun oil or WD-40 might get under the paint and loosen it enough for you to wipe it off without using anything abrasive and it shouldn't damage the original finish. Mineral spirits or kerosene might be a mild enough alternative if none of the common gun oils do the trick.
    I'm guessing that you're working with steel only, no wood. If there's wood involved, wait for other replies.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Berks County)

That is correct sir, no wood. Just the metal. The wood was actual unmolested and is in great shape. The action is tight, racks smooth, and the barrel to recieved is tight. As it isn't numbers matching I was thinking about cutting her down to 20" and making a navy replica trench gun for my brother as a late Xmas gift as he is returning home tomorrow before a 9 month Yemen deployment.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    That is correct sir, no wood. Just the metal. The wood was actual unmolested and is in great shape. The action is tight, racks smooth, and the barrel to recieved is tight. As it isn't numbers matching I was thinking about cutting her down to 20" and making a navy replica trench gun for my brother as a late Xmas gift as he is returning home tomorrow before a 9 month Yemen deployment.
    That being the case I think I'd start by trying gun cleaning oil like Hoppes 9, CLP or Weapon Shield. Those products are intended to be used ob blued steel and shouldn't hurt the original finish. Give it a good heavy application and leave it sit for several hours or maybe even a day or two to see if it loosens the paint enough to wipe or rub it off.
    I've never tried such a project for paint removal but that method does work for removing camo tape.

(Cambria County)

If the paint comes off with only a fingernail , why don't you try compressed air . Seems the paint didn't adhere to well to begin with .
    DAN

(Allegheny County)

Toujours pręt

(Berks County)

Good call guys! Used CLP, soaking, heat gun, and a copper Brillo pad. It wiped off like butter with one swipe. Only problem is that apparently the previous owner brought the gun down to bare metal before he painted it. There is barely any blue left on her.

I used some mild soap and water on the furniture and then some ole english, came out looking amazing. I then made a trip to cabelas, picked up a 12 gauge heat shield and had customer service match midways price of $19. Headed over to the gun library and asked if they had any old leather slings come in on traded guns. The girl brought out a worn brown leather sling with swivels for $2.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the patina of the new heat shield match the rest of the gun. Any ideas?

My brother suggested putting it in a bucket with gravel and shaking the shit out of it.

I'll post pics up tomorrow of the progress so far. All in all, I have $111 into a 1942 Stevens 620 trench gun replica.

(Lebanon County)

A bottle or tube of "cold blue" will make it look nice if you follow the preparation and application instructions to the letter. Birchwood Casey is an easy to find and easy to use brand but there are others that will also give very satisfactory results (if done properly). I've seen some very nice results and some pretty crappy looking jobs come from different brands. The trick is to follow the instructions exactly. If it tells you to use a certain rust & blue remover, certain type of alcohol to clean with and cold and or distilled water to rinse with, do it that way.
    Another cheap possibility is to get a good heat resistant flat black (or OD green if you desire) paint, (think auto parts store and engine paint), prepare the surface properly, spray it and bake it on. Easy to match the color of accessories to the color of the gun too.
    You can use the oven in your kitchen but you'll probably want to wait until you KNOW your wife will be gone long enough to allow you time to finish the project and let the kitchen air out. (Hot paint will leave a telltale odor). A heat gun used properly can bake on a nice painted finish too but it's easier to throw it into a 250° oven for an hour or so.
    Ger creative, there are other ways to heat without destroying the paint and possibly avoid a confrontation with the one who cooks your food.
    I'm pretty sure it was here on PAFOA that I've seen and even been involved with threads that have more specific advice about baking on a painted finish. Search is your friend. I'm tired as hell right now or I'd see what I can find. (Awake for nearly 24 hours and about half of that time was driving, I need a nap).

(Berks County)

^thank you sir! Weighing my options. I don't know what would look more authentic, worn patina or fresh birch wood Casey cold blue job. I can't sleep so I snapped some pics if it helps you guys understand what I'm going through. The shield and the sling are not yet attached.

Anyone have an idea how to mount the front sling stud?

Last edited by Zet70; December 31st, 2011 at 03:26 AM.

(Lebanon County)

It's going to be hard, if not impossible to make the finish on that heat shield match the original patina of the gun.
    Birchwood Casey also makes a "Plum Brown" do-it-yourself finish. That might be closer to a look that would look better on an old gun.

I'll be honest here and say that if it were my project I'd be inclined to leave the shotgun as is, no new finish at all, and lose the heat shield. That's just me, it's yours to do with as you wish and I'm not going to bust your balls about what you decide to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast