Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Why the limit on rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    I used to shoot at the Southern Chester County Sportsmans range and I think they had to institute a ban on rapid fire and 'continued' fire as a noise abatement agreement with new housing developments in the area. Not so much a magazine restriction as to the slowing down of the rate of fire.
    If that is the concern then it would be rate of fire that should be limited, not total capacity. Place a 1 second mandatory delay between shots and I'm fine....force me to reload a mag 3 times just to use one mag worth of shots...not good.

(Montgomery County)

The biggest peeve I have is when they have a 5 foot berm. WTF. Guys you have a pistol range that's 50 yards. Have a 20+ foot berm. You have a rifle range that's 300 yards. what slight angle gets the bullet over the berm. Spend the damn money and get some free fill please.. We all know you should never be that off but we also all know idiots happen. At the very least you should do something reasonable to protect from the random idiot..

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    Some local ranges have such restrictions even on pistol ranges. The ones I've seen are ones that don't have the mechanized target-return carriages. I assumed it's so everyone on the range doesn't have to wait for the guy on the end to fire 50 rounds from his 10/22 drum mag before the line can go cold and everyone can check/change their targets. I think 6 is a low number, and 10-15 would be more reasonable, since most of us aren't just shooting revolvers.
    I used to shoot at the Southern Chester County Sportsmans range andI think they had to institute a ban on rapid fire and 'continued' fire as a noise abatement agreement with new housing developments in the area. Not so much a magazine restriction as to the slowing down of the rate of fire.
    Combine these two and you have your answer. I don't buy the old guy evil gun theory, especially since the same rule applies to handguns. It's mostly to appease the neighbors.

My club has an agreement with the church on the other side of the woods, no shotguns or magnum rounds before noon on Sundays. The shot gun ranges basically point in the direction of the church and the sound travels right to it.

(Chester County)

I used to shoot at the Southern Chester County Sportsmans range and I think they had to institute a ban on rapid fire and 'continued' fire as a noise abatement agreement with new housing developments in the area. Not so much a magazine restriction as to the slowing down of the rate of fire.
    I can't imagine that is effective once you have more than one shooter on the line. Add 5 users and it could sound full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    Yeah, mine too.
    Or any other reputable club for that matter.
    You are literally arguing that loading to full capacity is unsafe.
    I am not sure you mean to, but you are.

I am not trying to be confrontational.
    I am just trying to point out that limiting rounds in magazine in the name of safety is kind of stupid.
    If you are going to limit to 5 rounds for "safety", why not just limit to one?
    What kind of reaserch went into deciding 5 rounds is safer than 10?
    ^^Quoted for emphasis^^

That being said, I agree that limits on number of rounds are likely related to the combination that Soberbyker described.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Most of the ranges in the SE corner of the state (Commonwealth) have a five round restriction. Most likely the reason is for safety. These ranges are in populous areas. We have all see/heard of inexperienced shooters "lose" control of the firearm during a sustained rapid fire. Some of these rounds could find their way out of the range. A stray round could spell disaster for a range especially around these parts. The range I belong to has this rule. The range is not run by the "good old boys". When a prospective member comes to the orientation at our club he/she has already been sent a complete set of range rules. If the rules are too stingent for them they are encouraged to join another organization Again, at our club safety is paramount.

Jeff
    Well said. That's the way I see it. Plus it cuts down on the damage/vandalism. I've seen enough times where people get bored shooting at the paper , and decide to see how fast they can chew up and cut down the 4x4 target holder posts.

Don't like the rules , don't shoot there.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12