Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Democrats capture state House of Representatives

Democrats capture state House of Representatives
    By Charles Thompson/The Patriot-News

Almost a month after the election, the Democrats apparently have taken majority control of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.

It all came down to one seat in Chester County's 156th District, and the race — and control of the House — was decided by less than two dozen votes. Officials counted the final absentee ballots today.

Democrat Barbara McIlvaine Smith defeated Republican Shannon Royer by 23 votes. McIlvaine Smith received 11,614 votes to 11,591 for Royer. Officials had to count about 300 absentee ballots that had not been included in earlier tallies. The results still must be certified.

Fifteen votes are being contested, but they are not enough to make a difference. So when the House convenes in January, it will have to elect a new speaker of the House to replace Republican John Perzel.

Earlier today, Chester County election officials declared Republican Duane Milne the winner of the 167th state House District race, making the House evenly divided at 101 Democrats and 101 Republicans with the 156th District race still undecided.

With McIlvaine Smith's apparent victory, Democrats have a 102-101 majority and take control of the state House for the first time since 1994. Republicans remain in control of the state Senate with a 29-21 majority.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Democrats capture state House of Representatives

Great... the next two years are gonna be a hoot. I hope our gun rights aren't skewered.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Great... the next two years are gonna be a hoot. I hope our gun rights aren't skewered.
    Doubt that anything will happen. 102 - 101 with a number of the Dems being the old school JFK kind of Dems from the middle of the state it just isn't enough of a majority for us to get hurt, at least on guns. Not to mention that we still have the Senate to stick up for us.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    ...a number of the Dems being the old school JFK kind of Dems from the middle of the state...
    Too bad there aren't more of these guys throughout the country.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lebanon County)

It'll be grid lock in the house, but at the same time Slick Eddy will be pushing party line to each and every one of those with a (D) in the house. I'd actually be surprised if what is happening in DC (where the radical Dems are attempting to minimalized the centerists, and not allowing them the committe seats/ chairs they 'earned') doesn't happen in Harrisburg.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Too bad there aren't more of these guys throughout the country.
    Truth be told, that is more the type of politico that I could support. Thats why I'm regd with the other party...
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

Best thing ever! Absolutely no controversial bills will be passed! A do nothing legislature can't really make a mess of anything.

(Clarion County)

The main concern of our legislature is lining their pockets. But we now more than ever need to put the pressure on for our constitution to be followed.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Carbon County)

Keep in Mind the Majority Whip will be McCall. I dont know what his stance is regarding personal carry rights but the NRA gave him an A+.
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Best thing ever! Absolutely no controversial bills will be passed! A do nothing legislature can't really make a mess of anything.
    isn't that the sad truth. the best we can hope for these days is gridlock.

i think every once in awhile, we should "hit the reset button" on government...just wipe all existing laws and programs off the books and then immediately re-institute all of the ones everyone agrees on.

everything that is really necessary would be restored immediately and all the fat would be trimmed. then, it would take the politicians a few decades to royally screw everything up again...at which point, we hit the reset button again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast