Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Colt failing with the new Mustang?

When I first hear about Colt re-releasing the Mustang Pocketlite I was pretty excited, considering they were/are going for $800ish on Gunbroker. That is, until I had a chance recently to look one over.

Besides switching to cnc/milled upper/lower and tightening up the fit, it appears that Colt didn't do much to fix the flaws in the pistol, or at least offer features that would make it a serious competitor to the Sig p238.

What struck me the most was that the Mustang still lacks decent sights or dovetails on the slide for night-sight options. And, it's still got a plastic guiderod.

At the same price-point of a Sig P238 (with so many options/variations), it seems like Colt isn't offering much more than the pony aesthetic.
    Thoughts?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Is Colt failing with the new Mustang?

It's got a pony on it and people will buy it just because of that. I'm not a big fan of the pony but I do respect them as a company and what they did for the firearm industry. I group Colt, Harley, and Nike as similar companies for sales. They built a name and people buy them for the name. Many other companies sell better products but that won't stop people from not buying them. I'm not hatin I'm just sayin.

I would though buy a reissued Delta Elite. Not enough good all steel 10mm stuff out there to steer me away from one of those.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Centre County)

My pocket lite was great little gun. I wish I kept it.

My only dislike with the pistol was the stupid plastic guide rod, trigger, and machined sight.

I know that plastic guidrod and trigger does its job. But for some reason, when I held the pistol, it lacked the feel of quality, because of those 2.

And sight - can't say nothing, other then its pointlessly small...

Too bad Colt didn't redesign few small detail of the weapon...

I do want their Rail gun in two-tone tho!
    Last edited by Mity2; December 28th, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I know that plastic guidrod and trigger does its job. But for some reason, when I held the pistol, it lacked the feel of quality, because of those 2.
    Plastic guiderods, in my limited experience, work fine. But, it just rubs me the wrong way and leaves me somewhat paranoid about a (perceived) weak-link.

Colt is late to the game again, as sig is now offering an ambi-safety p238:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...stols-in-2012/

And, of course, a 9mm model.

(Lehigh County)

wolf gunsprings has SS guide rods for mustangs, $20
    i have a colt mustang plus II .380 i bought new in 1983, still have it, i love it.
    (no, it's not for sale) but i replaced the guide rod "just in case", never had a failure, but as some, i was concerned about the plastic one, i still have the plastic one sitting in a drawer somewhere.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...ID1/mID1/dID68

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtk215 View Post
    Plastic guiderods, in my limited experience, work fine. But, it just rubs me the wrong way and leaves me somewhat paranoid about a (perceived) weak-link....
    I'm not sure why it's perceived to be a problem. Glock factory guide rods are plastic. They work just fine. Polymer guide rod can reduce weight, even ever so slightly.

As for the sights, OP, isn't this a mouse gun essentially? It's for close range no-aim point and shoot, not a targeting gun. Look at the very popular Ruger LCP, which has virtually no sights.

If the gun has functional issues, then I can see "failures", but thus far not really. I don't own one and wouldn't buy one because of the price though.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Lancaster County)

Seems like an odd move to me as well. The sig p238 is almost an exact copy of the colt mustang and they have already worked out the kinks, have I think 8 models, and have been able to lower the price significantly to the point where they are selling new for under 500.

I guess colt just realized they need to jump on the pocket .380 train, just seems like they did it a little late especially after letting sig pretty much make a carbon copy of their mustang.

I also cant stand the idea of a plastic trigger or guide rod. Not sure why I just want my gun to be made of almost all SS. There are SS p238 trigger replacements out there, now somebody just needs to come out with the SS mainspring housing for the p238.

(Pike County)

Some people might not be happy with their sell out to the gov. back in the lawsuit days.

(Allegheny County)

Interesting. I'll have to look for one. (to look at)

I don't have a Mustang, but I do have a Pony. Sort of wish I could have found a pocketlite and I REALLY wish I could have gotten a Pocket Nine, but overall, I love this little handgun.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

personally i feel the mustang/pony/.380 govt were and still are the best .380's available. I have owned a few and still own a mustang and a .380 govt. I have shot almost all of the newer .380's and dont feel they can compete with the colts except for the sig which is a carbon copy. The ruger offerings that everyone likes so much are harsh on the hands and have terrible triggers. They are brutal to put rounds on target even under 10yds. And thats with someone who is an avid shooter. Put one in a newbies hands and forget about it. So while they should have re-released the guns probably 2-3 years ago, I see nothing wrong with them being a little late. For someone who wants one, would you want to pay the $6-$800 for an old one or $500 for a new one and chose your options?

As for the "sell out to the govt" crap? Dude seriously your gonna hold it against a company for slowing production of civilian arms to meet a 100 million dollar .gov m4 carbine contract? A lot of people buying one of these handguns were not old enough to drive a car when that was going on lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast