Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need advice on my first 1911

Hey all I want to pick up my first 1911 pistol. I know that the more expensive custom pistols made by Kimber, Les Bayer, etc are amazing....but I have a 600.00 price limit.
    I have it narrowed down to the RIA GI model at 419.00 or a Remmington R1 at 599.00. I really wanted a Springfield Armory GI WWII model but they seem to no longer make them. This is not a carry gun just always wanted to own a 1911. One last thing I would like to stick with a more GI look so no stainless models.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need advice on my first 1911

I have had a RIA and now have an r1. I have to say for the extra bucks the R1 feels like a much nicer gun. I can also shoot a lot better with it using the same brand ammo.

(Northampton County)

I recently bought an American Classic for $454 out the door including tax and background check. It looks similar to the GI, but has better Mil-Spec sights and a lowered ejection port. I'm very impressed with how tight the gun is and a great trigger.

The RIA pistols have a good reputation, especially for customer service.
    Don

(Centre County)

You should be able to pick up RIA tactical(With most bells'n whisle you want on it) for the same price as RIA GI model(from where ever you got your quote from).

http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TACA.aspx

Centerfire systems are big on RIA line up. I have personally never delt with them. But I have heard that they are very good to deal with
    http://centerfiresystems.com/1911.aspx

If you look around enough, sometimes you can pick up Springfield Mil-Spec for less then $600...
    I think last one I saw was $575...

R1 is nice looking weapon. Comes with thick barrel bushing. I would certainly buy them. But for what they go for($599 most place I saw), I'd rather get something else, like RIA(which I have tactical model, and I love!) or like Para GI expert(around $525. Stainless model is still under $600 in most places)
    Last edited by Mity2; December 27th, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Would a Springfield armory be a better built gun than the remmington? I love paraordinance they build excellent weapons I had an old p16 in .40 cal. It was a great gun fired very smooth.

(Lycoming County)

When I found out that Remington sold a 1911 I checked reviews on it thinking; "Wow! A great company like Remington now sells a 1911."

According to the reviews I found Remington should stay just in the rifle market.

I found poor reviews on it.

I would consider the RIA and American Classic.

Both produced in the Philippines.

Both have a very good reputation.

Here is Chuck Hawkes review of the AC: http://www.chuckhawks.com/metro_arms...an_classic.htm

And I have heard RIA customer service is second to none.

That they do everything it takes to satisfy and keep customers.

Just some thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by blueknight6670 View Post
    Would a Springfield armory be a better built gun than the remmington? I love paraordinance they build excellent weapons I had an old p16 in .40 cal. It was a great gun fired very smooth.
    I think almost all springfield 1911's are good right out of box. Meaning that it'll go bang when you pull a trigger.

In my opinion, however, their fit/finish is sort of hit or miss.

My first 1911 was Springfield GI 45. slide to frame fit was sloppy. Grip safety siggled side to side. side of slide was not perfectly flat, trigger had all sorts of movement.
    But it shot great. was accurate, and ate everything I fet to it.

My next Springfield was stainless Loaded 19111. Slide to frame fit was tight. grip safety was fitted nicely, trigger was tightly fitted. shot everything from cheap ball to expensive hollow point.
    But it shot low to the right. sloppy barrel bushing fitment. I sent it back to them, they fixed it, it shot great after that. But I traded it for the CBOB I have.

My next Springfield 1911 is my current one - Stainless loaded in 9mm. This gun is a winner. it shoots good, shoots everything, fit/finish is more then acceptable, it look good, make me feel good having one.
    My barrel bushing is slightly on loose side. But accuracy seems to be not affected by it.
    This gun will go to my grave with me(next to my CBOB)

It should be noted that all 3 Springer I have had were serial number with NM prefiex - means it was made in Brazil. I have seen few springer with N prefix(assembled in US), and as many say, they do seem to have better overall quality...

My local funshop had a N prefix Park Loaded week ago or so. I know its slightly above your budget, but I'd be happy to check it out for you if you like.
    I also think they had a GI in stock too...
    Last edited by Mity2; December 28th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

My friend just picked up a RIA Two-Tone Tactical for $460 in VA. I haven't seen the gun in person but he said the slide/frame fit is awesome and everything on the gun seemed very nice, especially for the Price. I don't think you can go wrong with any RIA Tactical, I wouldn't get the basic GI or a Springfield 1911. I personally have my heart set on a Ruger SR1911 but I haven't been able to find one to look at let alone one for sale near me.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    According to the reviews I found Remington should stay just in the rifle market.
    PPP
    I'd even steer clear of newly built Remington rifles and shotguns. Since the Cerberus group bought them out a few years ago, it is said that the quality has gone down tremendously. I've read that they moved some factories and hired new workers to cut cost. Reportedly since these changes they've been having quality problems with scope mounting holes not proper, trigger issues, etc.
    Don
    Last edited by levergun; December 28th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

I recently bought a Ruger SR1911 for $600 it probably one of the better 1911s that I own. Its not all dresses out with intricate fish scales or fancy grips or non glare seams on top of the slide its just a great simple 1911 with all the necessary upgrades. Stainless steel with black inserts like the beaver tail and slide release with a nice trigger and sights. Its ready to go anywhere you are.

On another note my Series E is just beautiful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast