Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pistol hunt

(Dauphin County)

Default Pistol hunt

I shot my first deer with a revolver this season. it wasn't a big buck, but with 7pts it was big enough . the gun was an open sight Taurus 66 6" .357mag, the ammo, Corbon Hunter .357 200gr. 55-65 yard shot (I didn't get an exact measurement) clean through the heart, and he dropped within 10 feet. looks like the 700rds I shot with this gun over the past year paid off.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Pistol hunt

Congrats!

Your distance was about the same as my kill on a Florida white tail with my Colt Python many years ago. At that range getting a heart shot isn't easy with open sites on a handgun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

Good shooting.Congratulations on a nice buck.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Several years ago, I took a 6 pt with a Savage 510 Striker, chambered in 7mm-08, and 140gr Remington Premier Boat-tails. It wasn't my first or biggest buck, but I definately felt more accomplished with it than any rifle kill I've had to date. Congrats Automan, hunting with a pistol makes it as personal as archery season.

(Lehigh County)

now thats what i call hunting with a revolver.. that is a challenge in itself..good choice of ammo for the job at hand..

Ive been trying for a pa bear with a revolver for sometime.

last year i had 4 bear(momma and 3 larger cubs) come running about 75-80 yards from me but there was very dense vegetation between them and me and all i could do was watch them run off, never fired..

Thanks for sharing and a

Big Congrats to you...
    Last edited by wildsofpa; December 28th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.

(York County)

Nice job! They're all trophies with OS revolvers, IMHO. Welcome to the club. Tell us how gratifying it was! I know, right?

First a little bragging, then a self imposed slap down. I've killed round 'bout 17 deer with an open sighted (OS) Redhawk .44 mag since 1982 and I used'ta could keep them all on a 6" pie plate at 100 yds with a casual rest. Over the years, the yardage kept getting shorter and the groups kept opening up (same load, same pistol) until lately, I've been milking everything low and groups at 25 yds are no longer clover leafs, they're the same groups I used to shoot at 100 yds. Last year, missed a beautiful buck at 30 and this year two doe at 40-60 yds, all formerly chip shots. Needless to say, the missing component in this equation is trigger time. Gone are the days when I can take it out of the safe a couple times a year and do some dry fire before opening day, and still guarantee a solid performance. The hair gets grayer, the eyes get squintier, and the arthritis makes the grip a little more painful.

Next year will be different. Never lax on time at the range, and never count on having a good rest. Off-hand practice is a must. So much for the old -fart tips. Keep up the good work.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Nice job! They're all trophies with OS revolvers, IMHO. Welcome to the club. Tell us how gratifying it was! I know, right?

First a little bragging, then a self imposed slap down. I've killed round 'bout 17 deer with an open sighted (OS) Redhawk .44 mag since 1982 and I used'ta could keep them all on a 6" pie plate at 100 yds with a casual rest. Over the years, the yardage kept getting shorter and the groups kept opening up (same load, same pistol) until lately, I've been milking everything low and groups at 25 yds are no longer clover leafs, they're the same groups I used to shoot at 100 yds. Last year, missed a beautiful buck at 30 and this year two doe at 40-60 yds, all formerly chip shots. Needless to say, the missing component in this equation is trigger time. Gone are the days when I can take it out of the safe a couple times a year and do some dry fire before opening day, and still guarantee a solid performance. The hair gets grayer, the eyes get squintier, and the arthritis makes the grip a little more painful.

Next year will be different. Never lax on time at the range, and never count on having a good rest. Off-hand practice is a must. So much for the old -fart tips. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, it really was a great feeling, I shot a yearling the week before with a .243. Having hunted with that rifle since I was old enough to hold it, it just felt more like a trip to the grocery store than an accomplishment these past few years. Just walking up to where I shot, and seeing him laying there brought back all of the passion for hunting that I thought I had lost. I have been looking at other hunts, everything from groundhog and porcupine to bear, elk, and boar.

(Allegheny County)

Congratulations! I got my first deer with a pistol last year it was pretty exciting.... I cheated a bit with a scoped contender chambered in 7x30. My next goal is to but a revolver and try to bag one with open sights.