Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default The Sportsmans Shop in New Holland, Pa.

I have to give kudos to The Sportsmans Shop in New Holland for customer service, especially with women!

Twice my wife has bought a pistol for me and they have gone to great lengths to help her out since she is not fluent in gun.

The first time was when the XDm had just come out and I wanted one BAD. She says "What do you want for your birthday?" I said a Springfield XDm .40. New Holland has 1 in stock. (Even Shyda's didn't have one).

She didn't write it down.

She goes over during their annual open house with buses going to the local range to try out guns, gun celebrities, manufacturer reps, place is full of stinky amishmen...it's like the mall on black friday.

Salesman "can I help you?"
    Wife "I'd like to buy a gun for my husband."
    "Do you know what he wants?"
    "Yes... a Smithfield?"
    "Uh.... Smith and wesson?"
    "Noooo...that's not right."
    "Springfield?"
    "That's it!"
    "What model?"
    "Oh geez. It's a bunch of letters and numbers."
    "Sigh, TRP? (no) 1911? (no) XD? (that sounds close) XDm? (that's it) 9? .40? .45? (.40)"
    "OK, so you want to buy a Springfield XDm .40?"
    "Yes that's it!"

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: The Sportsmans Shop in New Holland, Pa.

Fast forward to September 2011.

We're watching some gun program on history channel and they're highlighting the 1911. She says you have one of those don't you? No, but I've always wanted one. The only one I ever bought is the one I bought for Darling Daughter number 1. She says I'm getting you one for Christmas. How do I know which one to get?

I wrote it down for her. Springfield PX9109LP. She calls around to every shop in the phone book. Nobody has one.

Remembering how they helped her out the first time she heads to New Holland and talks to a salesman there.

"This is the gun he wants."
    Salesman calls every source he can, including Davidsons, and can't find one.

He calls Springfield Armory and tells them what he wants. The rep tells him that they are not actually making any of the loaded series because they are not selling and they do not know when they will make more.

Then he shows her the Range Officer model, tells her it's about as close as she's going to get and they can be change out the sights, since she knew that was one of the things I wanted.

That's +2 for The Sportsmans Shop. And 3 strikes for Shyda's, but that's a different story.

(Lancaster County)

I am looking to order a few lowers online. How much do they charge to do the transfer? Most places I have been talking to want 40 dollars per lower. Which sucks when the lower only costs 50 dollars.

(Lancaster County)

I can't tell you that. I have never done a transfer there. I think they are on the high side, but that's just a guess.

Doug

(Lancaster County)

that seems to be the case with almost all of the lancaster dealers. They are all $40 + kind of annoying considering they are usually 25 or under out towards pittsburgh

(Berks County)

Never been here before but after needing a shotgun for this weekend and it being close to work I figured I'd check it out as I wouldn't have time to make it to Shydas and my local dealer couldn't get my SuperNova in.

The store is cool, geared toward hunting. The place was full for a Wed afternoon, seemed like a lot of locals and old timers shooting the breeze. There were also a bunch of Amish guys in there. I guess it's New Holland right? They had a nice selection of used guns. All three guys working the counter were pleasant, and helpful. They took the time to show one Amish guy how to disassemble and clean his shotgun.

When I asked that they price match Shydas price on the gun, they did so willingly.

All in all it was a good trip in a pinch.

ps - To those that asked about transfers, they charge $10 for PICS and $50 for the transfer which is outrageous. The gentlemen that asked milled around for a bit, I let him know of a few other places in Lancaster a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredxlt View Post
    I am looking to order a few lowers online. How much do they charge to do the transfer? Most places I have been talking to want 40 dollars per lower. Which sucks when the lower only costs 50 dollars.
    I am not sure what they charge, but I have heard it is $50. Check with Kerpers. They only charge $20.

(Montgomery County)

I've been there several times and they're all really friendly. It's nice to have a shop open near the range I go to. Paper target selection is lacking (at least that I've seen), but they have a great ammunition selection and plenty of firearms.

Never had a bad experience there.

(Montgomery County)

I've shopped there a few times in the past, very helpful group of employees there. Prices seem a little on the high side but they've had what I've been looking for at the time so i bought from them. Their transfer fee is $60, at least thats what they told me and my friend a couple of months ago. We ended up going to Kerpers for that. I would still stop by and check them out if your in the area. Also when they have a sale going the ammo can be a good deal.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Lancaster County)

I was in The Sportsman's Shop on Monday to buy my very first rifle and was very impressed with their customer service and overall attitude. I'll definitely be going back.

Anyways...as a new forum member/gun owner I just wanted to give a big Thanks! to Frank over at TSS in New Holland. Check em' out if you're in the area.
    Last edited by DHenry2112; February 14th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast