Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 45acp

(Indiana County)

Default Re: 1911 45acp

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    "It is an antiquated design."
    Hmmmm.
    Please expand on that a bit. What elements of the 1911 design are antiquated?
    Pete
    Really?
    It's 100+ years old and hardly anyone buys a 1911 style pistol in it's original configuration anymore.
    They want the flared ejection port (wonder why?), adjustable sights, fancy grips, a rail, skeletonized trigger, "combat" this and "combat" that.

The original design was not made to feed nor eject modern ammunition, why? Because it was made before such ammo was available, antique.
    Heavy steel frame.
    Low capacity as compared to modern designed full sized weapons, antique.
    Horrible sights, antique.
    Ever get the web of your hand ripped open? Maybe that is why the extended beaver tail was invented.

Cocked and locked? Sounds more like a tough guy punch line on a tv show than a method of carry/safety.

If it were not an antiquated design there would still be more bone stock copies of the original 100 year old design being sold than of the more modern "upgraded" styles.

No matter how much people love to be nostalgic, it's an antique in design.

I'm not saying they don't have their place, but the modern upgraded models made with current technology are a different animal than Browning designed and when comparing the old design to modern pistols either in 1911 style or of a modern plastic gun, it is what it is, an antique.

I do not get all warm and fuzzy for the 1911, it was a great gun in it's time and still has a place as a historic firearm, but there are better choices out there and hanging on to the past like an Amish man simply for Brownings legacy is misplaced IMO.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Really?
    It's 100+ years old and hardly anyone buys a 1911 style pistol in it's original configuration anymore.
    when comparing the old design to modern pistols either in 1911 style or of a modern plastic gun, it is what it is, an antique.
    In truth,though, we are not discussing Browning's original design, the guns as they were made 100 years ago. The focus is on the 1911 as it is nowadays, since, as you point out, the "original' versions are not what are commonly purchased.
    So, then, what about "modern" 1911s remains antiquated?

Note: Low capacity. is capacity really an indicator of "antique-ness"? (The HP 9mm, a design begun by Browning, was produced in 1935 - an age that makes it an antique. An antique hi-cap.) Is a "low capacity" magazine really a handicap? No, at least not in any use that I have for a gun.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; December 29th, 2011 at 07:33 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Antiquated, maybe. But not usless. Needing more rounds has more to say for the gunner than the gun. My 1911's are all standard out of the box. Maybe I've put new grips on them, but that does not change how they work.

While the 1911 may be an older format, that does not make it bad. I have a number of single action revolvers that I like to shoot. The design is older than the 1911 and they still do what I want them to.

If someone feels the need for the newest thing on the block, please feel free to go and get it. But don't fault those of us that want something we know works.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Really?

If it were not an antiquated design there would still be more bone stock copies of the original 100 year old design being sold than of the more modern "upgraded" styles.

No matter how much people love to be nostalgic, it's an antique in design.

If the 1911 had stayed in it’s original form, it would surely have
    been outdated. Then some gunsmiths came along and realized
    that with just a little fine tuning, the 1911 could be not only be an
    easy gun to shoot, but have great accuracy. This is the major
    difference between what Browning designed for the military, and
    what civilians wanted for a sidearm, and the reason why it is still
    around today. The tech of CNC and MIM has even lowered the entry
    price for obtaining this particular styled handgun.

The internal combustion engine is even older by design, but is still
    in use today.

... and what about the V twin engine of H-D? For years, riders have
    endeared (endured) the oil dropping from where ever the bike stood idle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lancaster County)

How many rounds is enough? I guess carrying a revolver would be antiquated. Is 15 -17 rounds the sweet spot? Or 15 plus two spare mags giving us 45 rounds to take on the gangs in the streets. Geezus carry a rifle. The 1911 is alive and well and being used by swat, seals, rangers and so on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123