Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default I love my new FNP9! But there is one nagging issue with it...

So I've recently purchesed new FNP9.
    Its one hell of value packed pistol if you think about it.

(Pic is off of armslist.com I suck at taking pics)

For $390, you'll get:

Stainless slide and stainless cold forged barrel - Its machined, unlike those stamped one like that on sig

3 Mags - Yep, 3 magazines. Other manufacture should take note here. Hey Kimber, are you listening?!

DA/SA with decocker - Smooth DA pull with crisp SA trigger. Light as well. Guessing SA is around 4.5 pounds. DA is about 11 .5 pounds. Great trigger.
    It breaks cleanly though not so cleanly as a tuned 1911.
    Ambi ecocker is right at where it needs to be. my short finger have no trouble getting to it. Beretta could take a note or two on this here

Removable rear grip strap - Arched/straight Most folks like arched one. I think it look better too. But some unfortunate soul with small hand like myself would be better with straight one. With straight back strap on it, grip look very similer to 3rd gen S&W Auto - like 5906.

Cavernous magazine well - mag change is snap. Mag release is switchble.

Massive claw extractor - it firmly grabs cases. Look sort like one on Glock or 75B.

And more then acceptable accuracy. Below is from 7yds, off hand.
    I'll get to the flyers here shortly

Anyhow, so far, I only found 2 cons. and one regret.
    My only regret is that I didn't get the two-tone model. I think they look sharp.

First con is the lack of aftermarket support. I found only one manufacture is making a night sight - Ameriglo. Its a duty/defence weapon. If you like to modify it like 1911, get 1911 i guess.

And another one is rather annoying one. While weapon functions frawlessly, and eject every empties, it send it straight back to shooter's forehead.
    And it HURTS!
    I was closing my eyes when I shot those flyers. Because shells came straight back to my forehead.
    I'm guessing that important thing is that empties comes out. and next round would chamber. But I have got to fix this ejection issues.

Does any one have any idea how am I go about doing that???
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I love my new FNP9! But there is one nagging issue with it...

I have the same gun but in .40, awesome gun as you pointed out, Sigs and berettas have nothing on this gun.

Cheaper than dirt has Trijicon night sights for this gun on sale for $69 , i put some on mine back in 07, they were made in o7 and they are still as bright as day, give them a call and see if they have anymore , it were in their paper brochure not their web site.

I keep this gun as my house gun loaded with magsafes.

BTW any holster that fits a Sig 229 will fit this gun as the dims are the same and the slide release and decocker is in the same place as a SIG , mine fits my Sig DeSantis holster like it were made for it.

Mine doesnt throw the shells in my face, but you can tune the ejector your self to cure that , all you need is a small file to angle the ejector so it throw the rounds where you want it to go.

I dont like 2 tone anything so i bought the black one like you did, i find the finish to be tougher than Sigs Berettas and Smiths.

Enjoy

Before I put a file on it, I would check the usual suspects, first. Extractor spring tension and cleanliness around it. It has to be able to move freely and quickly to perform like it is supposed to.

Soft ammo (low charge) can be a culprit. If the loads are too soft, it will not put enough inertia on the slide to kick it back hard enough to spit the case out where it is supposed to go.

Loose grip and wrist will also cause inertia problems and not let the slide kick back hard enough to spit the case out to the side or up and to the side. Example: I have a Taurus 1911 9mm that will spit every case in your shirt pocket if you shoot loose. Tighten your wrist and grip and they go over your head, to the right. If everything checks out, then it may be time to adjust your ejector.

I agree with you that it has a great trigger, especially in SA. The only polymer HG that comes close, in my opinion, is the HK USP.
    Last edited by harold63; December 25th, 2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: got ejector and extractor confussed
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Mine doesnt throw the shells in my face, but you can tune the ejector your self to cure that , all you need is a small file to angle the ejector so it throw the rounds where you want it to go.
    I was leaning towords this as well.
    I was slowly cycling it manualy at the range, and I noticed that as you pull the cartridge out, as it hits the ejector, it will first tip up to about 45degree angle before tip back diagnaly.
    So i figured I can tinker with ejector. Just not sure exactly how I needs to file the tip of ejector to clear my forehead...

It is, one hell of a bargen gun. I'm uncertain as to why it hasn't cought on yet from both civilians, and LEO...

300WM, you have a good point. I do not recall it spitted out the empties straight to my forehead when I shot the defence round(mostly 124gr +p type, and some 147gr stuff).
    I was shooting 115gr Russian steel case stuff, and PMC brass case ammo yeasterday. I may want to try few other ammo type before whipping out my files...
    Last edited by Mity2; December 25th, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I do not recall it spitted out the empties straight to my forehead when I shot the defence round(mostly 124gr +p type, and some 147gr stuff).
    What a dope. I put ejector where extractor was supposed to go, again, but I corrected it. Too much on the brain.

Yea, when that 9mm 1911 was new, everything hit us in the head or chest. After a few boxes of WWB and a thorough cleaning of the extractor area, they started going where they were supposed to, without adjusting anything. Maybe when the recoil spring loosens some, they will get spit out the right direction.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.