Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here

(Bucks County)

Default Newbie here

Hi! I'm new here... due to all the scary news articles I've been reading, my husband and I decided to fill out the paperwork to concealed carry as soon as possible. My husband is already a hunter, also was in the Army reserves, and owns a couple of handguns and rifles but they just stay hidden away. I haven't shot too often but my husband will be taking me to the range soon.

Anyway...three questions....

Its really difficult to find a website that lists the off-limits places for carry permit holders. I get the schools thing (although its sad, it would be nice if a few people could carry, because it seems that's where the gunmen like shooting up)...and then federal places, right? Like post offices, courthouses, and...state parks?

Also....I'm seeing online that the Kahr PM9 is looking like an amazing carry handgun. Anyone have one? The handguns we have now are probably a little too large to comfortably carry.

Third, for whoever gets this far....haha....what would be the best and most affordable practice range in the Bucks county area? Also where kids would be allowed because my oldest son needs to start learning a small hunting rifle.

Thanks in advance!

(York County)

Default Re: Newbie here

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Hi! I'm new here... due to all the scary news articles I've been reading, my husband and I decided to fill out the paperwork to concealed carry as soon as possible. My husband is already a hunter, also was in the Army reserves, and owns a couple of handguns and rifles but they just stay hidden away. I haven't shot too often but my husband will be taking me to the range soon.
    Welcome to PAFOA.

Its really difficult to find a website that lists the off-limits places for carry permit holders. I get the schools thing (although its sad, it would be nice if a few people could carry, because it seems that's where the gunmen like shooting up)...and then federal places, right? Like post offices, courthouses, and...state parks?
    Start reading here... http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

Also....I'm seeing online that the Kahr PM9 is looking like an amazing carry handgun. Anyone have one? The handguns we have now are probably a little too large to comfortably carry.

Third, for whoever gets this far....haha....what would be the best and most affordable practice range in the Bucks county area? Also where kids would be allowed because my oldest son needs to start learning a small hunting rifle.

Thanks in advance!

I can't help with the other questions, someone else will have to chime in.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Thank you! Did I understand it correctly that the concealed carry license also allows you to open carry except in the city of Philadelphia and except in your vehicle?

(Schuylkill County)

Thank you! Did I understand it correctly that the concealed carry license also allows you to open carry except in the city of Philadelphia and except in your vehicle?
    In Pennsylvania, there is no "concealed" carry license. The correct term is a "license to carry a firearm" or LTCF.

The license allows you to carry anywhere (except the places mentioned in the link like school zones etc.) concealed as well as in a vehicle. Technically, you do not need a license to carry openly (except Philadelphia). Philadelphia has its own rules that seem to conflict with the rest of the state because it is a "city of the first class".
    Last edited by Coops; December 24th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

(Centre County)

Thanks in advance!
    Merry Christmas

Let me address the part of your OP which I have in bold:

Obviously you need to carry what is best for your individual needs BUT do not buy into the myth that smaller is "necessarily" better for CC/OC. You will find many on here who be it either CC or OC (or both):
    -Carry full sized weapons
    -Carry 2 weapons (main and BUG)
    -CC one and OC the other simultaneously

I am a believer in - Carry what is best for you and dress around your protection. Yes there may be times in which the smaller weapon is preferred/needed because you must dress in a certain manner but then this could be a good excuse to add to your collection.

I would say that I dress around my weapons about 99.9% of the time. I carry 100% of the time that I legally can. Currently I OC a Taurus Judge 3" chamber 3" barrel and CC a smaller Judge as my BUG when not on the job. When in the Company vehicle I CC BOTH. I have never been "made" by any customers - at least they have never brought it up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you really like what you currently have - experiment and try dressing around it/them.

Good Luck!

Still didn't get it quite right - or at least all in one place:

You can open carry (OC) without a LTCF, except in Philadelphia (city of the first class) or in a vehicle.

You can open carry (OC) or conceal carry (CC) anywhere in PA and reciprocal states (except the noted prohibited areas) with an LTCF.

As for a range - try Classic Pistol in Southampton/Feasterville area. They also offer training.

Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Thanks all!

(Lancaster County)

I will give the standard disclaimer that your perfect carry firearm is based on personal preference and/or need and there is no single firearm that is 'perfect' for everyone.

I do, however, own and carry a Kahr PM9 and can say that it seems to work for me. For me, it is very easy to carry and very easy to shoot (out to distances I feel would be reasonable in a defensive situation). There are a lot of reviews on here, youtube, and the 'net about this firearm- highlighting positives and negatives- that also point out carry options.

That being said, IMHO, the holster you select to carry your firearm might play as much into the comfort and concealability as the firearm itself. Example- right now I tend to carry my Glock 33 over my Kahr PM9 because I tried a different holster with the Glock and it carries easier than the Kahr in its different holster.

So my advise will echo everyone else in the fact that you should definitely shop around and find your carry firearm. But I will undoubtedly add that you should likely spend as much time finding the right carry device/holster.

Thanks for reading and I hope I have assisted in some way. Merry Christmas and have a safe and Happy New Year!

(Bucks County)

I wouldn't have thought about the holster like that...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    The license allows you to carry anywhere (except the places mentioned in the link like school zones etc.) concealed as well as in a vehicle. Technically, you do not need a license to carry openly (except Philadelphia). Philadelphia has its own rules that seem to conflict with the rest of the state because it is a "city of the first class".
    A couple of minor nits: with a LTCF, you can carry in a "school zone." State law forbids carry (or even possession) on school property -- unless you have a lot of cash and time on your hands to become a test case for "other lawful purposes." And the legitimate special rules about Philly (no open carry without an LTCF, etc.) are actually state law, not Philly ordinances, so state pre-emption doesn't apply there. Philly does from time to time pass its own gun ordinances (with the goal of becoming crime-free like New Jersey), which are struck down by the courts when they try to enforce them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast