Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Extractor Marks/Dents

Hello All,

I'm working on reloading .40S&W with a friend for some plinking rounds mostly as an experiment to gain experience with reloading. So far, everything has been great. However I have a question about brass.... I've noticed that on some of my brass - but not all - that the ejector is leaving not just a mark but a very slight dimple in the wall of the case. This doesn't appear to happen consistently, but I've noticed it happens more with some of my "hotter" loads. Note that I'm using "hotter" in a relative sense - everything we've loaded is well below any SAAMI max load. I have two questions:

1) Is this normal? I haven't noticed this before with factory ammo but I don't know that I've looked closely enough before to notice. I shot some factory Federal ammo today as a test and there were no dimples but I only had a few on me.

2) Are these cases safe to reload again after running them through a sizing/depriming die? I'm not interested in reloading cases that would even be marginal.

This happens with ammo shot out of a Beretta 96 and a Glock 27, although the Beretta seems to do it a little more often.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Extractor Marks/Dents

If your getting dimples in the side of the case it sure isn't from the ejector , the ejector hits the bottom of the case . More than likely it's hitting the slide or ejection port . The hotter you load the rounds the more violently the empty spins when it leaves the extractor which in turns changes the angle at which it leaves the slide . Just look where the empties are landing then check the slide for brass marks .

As far as reloading the brass is concerned , if it's no cut / split / gouged or creased , it should be safe to reload .
    DAN

(Berks County)

As far as reloading the brass is concerned , if it's no cut / split / gouged or creased , it should be safe to reload .
    I agree 100%, this is pretty much the criteria I also use for culling out suspect brass. I have reloaded lots of dented brass, resizing usually takes care of most of the dent, firing "pops" the dent back out. Other than that...completely normal and you should be fine.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Butler County)

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear this is normal and the brass can be re-used. There's so many little facets and details of reloading!

Is it a dent in or a bulge out in the case wall? Dents often come from swinging around and hitting the ejection port; bulges often from unsupported feed ramps, best known as "glock bulge."

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    Is it a dent in or a bulge out in the case wall? Dents often come from swinging around and hitting the ejection port; bulges often from unsupported feed ramps, best known as "glock bulge."
    It's definitely an inward dent in the case wall halfway or more towards the mouth. Hitting the ejection port makes sense as I couldn't understand what else would have been causing the dent. There's a very straight, fine line in the middle of the dimple that looks like a tool mark which is why I wondered about the ejector. It's definitely not an outward case bulge. The whole "Glock Kaboom" issue is why we've been really observant of the brass to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    It's definitely an inward dent in the case wall halfway or more towards the mouth. Hitting the ejection port makes sense as I couldn't understand what else would have been causing the dent. There's a very straight, fine line in the middle of the dimple that looks like a tool mark which is why I wondered about the ejector. It's definitely not an outward case bulge. The whole "Glock Kaboom" issue is why we've been really observant of the brass to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughguns View Post
    If your getting dimples in the side of the case it sure isn't from the ejector , the ejector hits the bottom of the case . More than likely it's hitting the slide or ejection port . The hotter you load the rounds the more violently the empty spins when it leaves the extractor which in turns changes the angle at which it leaves the slide . Just look where the empties are landing then check the slide for brass marks .

Sounds like you have it figured out. Notenoughguns gives good advice. Don't be afraid to toss a suspect case you think the dent is too big/deep in. Cases are cheaper then fingers.