Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger Super Blackhawk

Hey everyone, I am looking into buy a super blackhawk in .44 mag. Its main function would be handgun hunting/ "bear/snake gun". I like the classic look of the blued with wood grips, but i cannot decide on barrel length 5.5 inches or 7.5 inches?

Default Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk

Two more inches of barrel will give you a little more FPS and a little less muzzle flip, which are both desirable for what you want. The only down side, IMO, is it may be a little harder to carry, which will not be a problem, either way, if you get the right kind of holster. Longer is better. JMHO
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I use to have a Super Black hawk in 44 mag it is one of the easiest to shoot 44 mag. Because of it plow handle grip it rolls the recoil up and away from you the barrel does rise but the bite that you feel in your hand like with the S&W 29s is non existing almost. The Ruger SBH is an accurate and easy to shoot revolver even in 44 magnum. The only down side is reloading, is SA revolver one round at a time, turn cylinder drop a round.

I wish I had not sold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I wish I had not sold mine.
    Yea, me too. I bought one, used, back in '90, from a guy at a car dealer (he was a salesman) and it had never been fired. He was desperate and sold it to me for $200. I sold it in '96 for $300. I see what they bring now and think how stupid both of us were. I'd like to have it back just to be in my safe, or stuffed under something as an extra means of greeting someone, not welcome.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

To the OP. I would opt for the 7.5 inch model. I currently have the 10.5 inch model and had a difficult time finding a suitable holster for it. Good luck. I hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I do mine.
    Jules

(Clearfield County)

I bought a Super Blackhawk new in 1978--7.5 inch barrel. I won a number of silhouette matches with it in the 80s and still have it. I put Pachmayr grips on mine, presentation I think, 30 years ago and still have them on there. The gun and the grips work as good now as they did back then. It is a keeper.

(Centre County)

Well, my SBH is the 4 5/8 barrel and I think it looks perfect. It balances very nicely and ever with full bore mags the recoil is fine. Very easy to carry and you can find a myriad of differnt holsters to put it in. I even have a real nice bar-b-que/Sunday go meeting holster and belt for it. When I'm out in the woods, I have a good sturdy leather holster for it.

Now, if I were getting one strictly for hunting, I'd probably opt for the 5.5 barrel as it would be a bit easier to carry and it's still plenty accurate (as long as you practice with it). If looking to it being your main hunting gun, and that's all you're going to carry, then I'd prrobably go with the 7.5 barrel. A longer sight radius, more wirght up front to tame the recoil, it makes a good hunting sidearm.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Indiana County)

Super Black Hawks are one of the few Ruger's I like, go with the 7.5 barrel.

Oh, and snakes in PA are protected by the Fish and Boat Commission and cannot legally be killed without a permit in certain circumstances.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CNTRYBOY30-06 View Post
    Hey everyone, I am looking into buy a super blackhawk in .44 mag. Its main function would be handgun hunting/ "bear/snake gun". I like the classic look of the blued with wood grips, but i cannot decide on barrel length 5.5 inches or 7.5 inches?
    i think 44 magnum is a bit much for snakes with that said i'd go for the longer barrel if you're looking to hunt bear because the extra 2" will give you more FPS out the barrel. i would find out what the down range energy is with the 5.5" barrel compared to the 7.5" barrel before making a final decision. if i was hunting bear i would want the gun that provided the most knock down power which I believe would be the gun with the longer barrel.

(Jefferson County)

You really cant go wrong with either length. I personally would pick the 5.5" for PA hunting(where I hunt). 7.5" has it's benefits of course, but they really aren't necessary for PA's environment.

If the gun was going to be for target or silhouette, then I'd definitely pick the longer barrel. But for hunting, at handgun ranges, the 5.5" is plenty - especially if you are using it for a backup hunting gun. If you are going to use it as your sole hunting gun, then maybe consider the 7.5".

Also, as 39flathead mentioned - snakes are protected. ...all of them. There is no need to kill any snake unless YOU are cornered and the snake(s) will not flee. Rattlers and copperheads are the only dangerous snakes in PA, even they will flee if given the opportunity. If you startle one by accident and it bites you, then there really isn't a reason to kill it other than identification for anti-venom.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast