Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default AK 74 mag question

First off, Merry Christmas to all!
    I just receieved some circle 21 ak 74 mags from jandg gun sales. To my dismay out of the five that i ordered three don't snap in properly to the mag well. One of the reviewers remarked that they had to do some "judicious filing" to some of theirs. Kind of irked that I would have to do any modifications to a product i just bought but figured I'd ask anyone here if they ever had to do something like that and where would be the best place on the mag to file or fix. Thanks alot everyone.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AK 74 mag question

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    First off, Merry Christmas to all!
    I just receieved some circle 21 ak 74 mags from jandg gun sales. To my dismay out of the five that i ordered three don't snap in properly to the mag well. One of the reviewers remarked that they had to do some "judicious filing" to some of theirs. Kind of irked that I would have to do any modifications to a product i just bought but figured I'd ask anyone here if they ever had to do something like that and where would be the best place on the mag to file or fix. Thanks alot everyone.
    well, unless you are snapping these into a Bulgarian made AK74, theres no guarantee they'll fit any other maker of 74.. production tolerances are different between MFGs.

that being said.. use whiteout or white chalk to see where the maag is binding, and remove material where appropriate
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

It is a Bulgarian 74 with NDS 2 receiver. Sorry forgot to mention that. Thx for the tip.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Monroe County)

What Jay Bell said plus be sure to test fire them all after you get them to sit properly unless the gun is just a range Toy.

I had to do the same to a L1A1 when i bought some after market mags, now they all shoot as well as the British MilSpeC

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    It is a Bulgarian 74 with NDS 2 receiver. Sorry forgot to mention that. Thx for the tip.
    that is NOT a "bulgarian made AK74" that is a "Bulgarian demilled parts kit built on a US Made Nodak Spud receiver".

the magazine fit is very dependent on the quality of the build, if you're off a little bit on the trunnion install, the mags will be either too tight or too loose...

Your install is a tiny bit off is all, so you have to modify/fit each mag you want to use in the gun.. but, ya only have to do it once.

the mags are right, unfortunately, your gun is wrong.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply