Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm sucks

Default Re: 9mm sucks

[QUOTE=135Grain;1834719]
    Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    What's your basis on why the 9mm sucks? Can you give us factual information on this? Other then your opinion.

I used to own a 9mm. It was a great gun, great round and did everything I personally needed it to do. Now I am not an LEO or in the military, etc... So I can say how it can perform in those fields of play.

- Cost effective
    - Carry more rounds[/QUOTE Here's some facts, it's small and can't do a damned thing against auto glass. Plus perps carry more powerful weapons. Do you want a little 9 to go up against a 12g in the hands of a felon with nothing to lose doped up on PCP? Good luck.
    Again I ask you to show me credible proof that it does nothing against auto glass.

Also while a felon might be crazy and be high on PCP and have a 12ga. You as an LEO should have the training to...

1. Get cover, whatever you can find that is suitable.

2. Know when to make your move and counter theirs with a precise shot. Be it to their hands, legs, head, chest, shoulder, etc... No matter if you have a 9mm, .40S&W, .357mag, .45ACP
    Last edited by PA1936MN; December 23rd, 2011 at 05:00 AM.

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=PA1936MN;1834726]
    Quote Originally Posted by 135Grain View Post

Again I ask you to show me credible proof that it does nothing against auto glass.

Also while a felon might be crazy and be high on PCP and have a 12ga. You as an LEO should have the training to...

1. Get cover, whatever you can find that is suitable.

2. Know when to make your move and counter theirs with a precise shot. Be it to their hands, legs, head, chest, shoulder, etc... No matter if you have a 9mm, .40S&W, .357mag, .45ACP
    Window glass issues are mostly angle related and rarely have anything to do with the round itself.

(Beaver County)

Sounds like the OP is over compensating...

I don't have a link to show all the info but from my research, it seems that most reports agree that the difference between the rounds is minimumal. Something along the lines of the .40 has 8-10% more "impact force" with approximately 20% more "recoil force". The .40 also usually had less penetration depth. There's tons more data out there. Truth is .357 Sig is the better choice.

Which department are you with?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post

I don't have a link to show all the info but from my research, it seems that most reports agree that the difference between the rounds is minimal. Something along the lines of the .40 has 8-10% more "impact force" with approximately 20% more "recoil force". The .40 also usually had less penetration depth. There's tons more data out there. Truth is .357 Sig is the better choice.

Exactly
    To me it sound like somebody right out of the academy with no real firearms experience.
    Shot placement comes into play too and too often in high stress situations LEOs can hit the broad side of a barn.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 135Grain View Post
    Short & Weak hmm, 10x21, 9x19 mine is still bigger than yours lol! There's some nicknames for your powderpuff caliber as well 9mm Lady, 9 mini-meter, 9 Mary Mary, Euro-pellet.
    A well articulated post. So happy to have learned something here.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post

I don't have a link to show all the info but from my research, it seems that most reports agree that the difference between the rounds is minimumal. Something along the lines of the .40 has 8-10% more "impact force" with approximately 20% more "recoil force". The .40 also usually had less penetration depth. There's tons more data out there. Truth is .357 Sig is the better choice.

Back in the day when 9mm got all the bad press there was a big difference. Today as you said, they are all so close. I had a P226 in .357 I carried for a while.... loved it. The round shot flat and was fast and I felt as it had less recoil than the .40 Shame it didn't catch on more.. cost may have been a big factor.

(Philadelphia County)

The faster lighter vs heavier slower debate has been going on for quite awhile. The two rounds that have scored the highest one shot stops have been the .45Auto and the 357 Magnum. With the .45 Auto edging out the .357 by a percentage point or two.

Personally, I prefer the 1911 in .45 Auto as it makes a larger hole. Unless a person is hit in the brain or spinal cord, they must bleed to death. Which can take several minutes. Larger holes result in faster bleed outs. Also, the .45 Auto has less recoil and muzzle flash than a 357 Magnum.

There is good reason why the U.S. Army's elite Delta Force uses 1911 .45 Autos. FBI Hostage Rescue Teams, LAPD SWAT and many other specialized units across the Nation also utilize 1911 .45 Autos.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Berks County)

If 9mm was 'all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips', 10mm would not have been developed. Of course, 10mm had it's issues, and thus 40S&W (10mm Lite) came along.

I get what the OP point is. Here's the test I'd apply; if you knew there was a good chance you were going to be in a gunfight today, what would you rather bring? 9mm or 40S&W? The OP is saying 40S&W. And I can't fault him for that.

I bet most of the folks posting here have both! I do! And in my driveway there is a Chevy pickup, and a Ford pickup. I like 'em both!

Ray

(Monroe County)

I could be wrong but doesn't the most elite fighting force in the world, the Navy Seals carry that pussy round in a Sig 9mm? Of course their shot placement is pretty good.

They do have some other choices but many carry the 9 including I think Marcus Luttrell

(Chester County)

Really ? are we having the 9mm vs 45 vs 40 ? whatever ?
    Seriously I used to think the 9mm was wimpy until I found out that modern 9mm hollow point expands well is much more effective than it used to be. Heres another rumor 1-2 shots of 45 is all you need .Except the Reality is most gun fights typically go to slide lock not one or two shots and you may need more that 7 rounds of 45 to stop 1 person So in that case id rather have as much ammo as I can carry I still like the 45 but in the end what that matters is penetration 12 - 18 inches expansion 2.5 times diameter and weight retention after hitting its target in any caliber for a bullet to be effective
    Last edited by Phillygunguy; December 23rd, 2011 at 08:21 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast