Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm - FTE and FTL

So here are the events leading up today

June - Bought Taurus 9mm 24/7 pro
    2 weeks after purchase - 50 rounds at indoor range. Blazer FMJ 115gr. No issues that I recall. Clean pistol
    Nov 18 - 24 Federal hollow point rounds at outdoor target. no issues. No cleaning.
    Dec 22 - 50 rounds of PMC 115gr FMJ, 50 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ. After first mag of 12 rounds PMC all ok. 6 rounds through second mag FTE. next round FTE. Next round FTL. Finish mag all OK. Swich to Federal. 3 round FTE, 6 rounds then FTL. Then 4 mags 5 rounds per mag. A few FTE and FTL with both ammos. 2 8 round mags of Federal and after the 2 round no more FTL or FTE. during which i had a fast target aquire trigger pull. Last 10 round of PMC many FTE and FTL. Finished strong with federal last 6 rounds in a mag.

Examined both mags as i never cross loaded. PMC-very dirty and Federal-not as much about 1/2 as dirty.

So here are my conclusions and questions:
    1) Is there really a good breakin perior for Taurus as there is for other pistols?
    2) Might my Taurus just not like the PMC rounds?
    3) Could the issue be the fail to clean after only running 24 rounds through the pistol 1 month ago?
    4) Do most of you think it is the Pistol or the Ammo?
    5) Next trip to the range put 100 more rounds of Federal only and see if it has any FTE or FTL?

Any conclusions besides get a Glock....
    Last edited by PowerPM; December 22nd, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm - FTE and FTL

Perhaps a case could be made for the gun being really dry, lube the crap out of it with some good lube and try again. I can't help but add that this sounds like a typical Taurus story though.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Centre County)

So you fired total of...174 rounds? I say gun is too new to pass the judgement.

If PMC jammed, I'd take Remington or some other that you havent tried yet, ammo that worked(CCI, and federal I guess in your case?), PMC again and see.

Some gun runs fine right out of box, and some don't. My old M&P9 worked great right out of box. But my M&P9C didn't. Took about 200 rds to break it in, and after that, it ran fine.

I had a Sig 226 Combat I bought new. Had FTE, FTF, FTRTB. Took good 300rds or so(plus cleaning the internal) before it became a reliable pistol Sig are known for
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I agree too new to tell like suggested I'd clean it an lube it and run 200-300 fmj through it 1st then start feeding Remington and federal jhps.

I have a Taurus 24/7 1st gen DS LS 40 cal that I had to break in before it became the reliable home protector that it is now. Its even reliable with my reloads though I'm not bragging but I do a pretty good job reloading.

Give the gun time to break in 1st shoot fmj then go jhp later.
    Last edited by Neko456; December 23rd, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

This is a massed produced pistol and a lot of them were produced when Taurus fell some on quality control (in my opinion, they are now back where they should be). Field strip your pistol and look just in front of the slide rails. There is a steel brace (can't provide pics; not that smart, yet) just in front of the rail. The tips of this brace must be completely flush with the actual pistol frame; (not the slide rails). If these tips (two of them) are sticking up past the frame, or even if one is, it will cause the problems you are having, and shooting it a thousand times will not correct it. They have to be filed or sent in to let Taurus do it. I have four of these pistols and had to do it to three of them. I mostly use WWB, but they all cycle anything I put in them, now. This pistol requires very little break in and should shoot right out of the box if these frame brace tips are flush with the frame.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Another thing is with Taurus' 24/7 Pro mag followers. They have horns all over the sides of them. Simply file these burrs off so the follower will come all the way to the top and seat properly. Another mass production issue, but is easy to correct.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.