Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P7 Thoughts

(Cumberland County)

Default P7 Thoughts

Ok, so I've talked about my P7 and the love I have for it before I know many others feel the same. I continue to be amazed at how incredible this gun is. I was at the range again today, and impressed as always. IMO, the safest, most reliable, accurate handgun ever. So, with that opinion said, why has no one, including HK, ever tried to replicate maybe in a tupperware style, or lightweight metal ? I gotta believe many would be interested - is it just cost factors ? Going along with that, does anyone know exactly why HK stopped making them ?
    Going to add another to my wishlist for the new year - maybe a hard chrome or nickel one - although I might stick pure original and go with another blue.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: P7 Thoughts

I do agree that the P7 is awesome. I would like to see a newer version of it, yet I suspect it will either not happen or it would be around 2 grand to buy!!!

Cost is everything. Today, people expect to pay 6-700 bucks and that is about it. Many of the handgun buying public think "expensive" is 1200 bucks (for something like a S&W Performance Center gun. I shot more than twice that in .38 special and 9mm last year.

A revisit to the P7 would be great, yet there is another massive problem besides the cost, intellectual property. There are many patents involved with the P7 that would most likely result in an absurdly expensive legal fight (good IP lawyers charged 650 USD an hour, three years ago!!!).

HK stopped making the P7 due to cost and profit margin. HK now makes the nicest 600 dollar pistol that people pay 800+ dollars for. Why would they mess with that business model. These 800+ dollar pistols probably cost less than a third of that to manufacture which leads to fat margins.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I have still yet to even hold one, but I am still waiting. The last two gun shows I went to didn't have a single one at either and I have never seen one at a shop in my town. It must become like a child to those who have bought them (I say that in a positive way).
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I have still yet to even hold one, but I am still waiting. The last two gun shows I went to didn't have a single one at either and I have never seen one at a shop in my town. It must become like a child to those who have bought them (I say that in a positive way).
    Once you touch and shoot you'll be hooked Here's a site that has decent ones. The blue ones look to have a little too much wear to me for $679? The nickle one at $779 is tempting. I 'm still trying to decide if I want to go with the nickle or hard chrome ones - P7's were only made in blue, anything else was done by importers so not sure if I want to stick with original or go with one of the refinished ones - if you get the right ones, the refinishes are pretty good though - decisions, decisions!

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/9mm-Firearms-c292.htm

Ok, so I had to post mine again with some replacement grips I put on - original ones were perfect, but I like wood Let the pic uploads begin, lots of nice one's out there - Steve, do you still have that sweet np3 one ????
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Just go ahead and buy one. You can find really nice German police trade-ins for about $650 online. You'll love it.

I may be the only one, but I hated my P7 and sold it as soon as I got it back from HK. (I sent it in because it wasn't working and got it back in perfect working order.) I just couldn't get over that squeeze cocker. For some reason, we just didn't play well together. I didn't care for the balance of it either. My next HK was a USP 45 which I should never have traded for that P220 Stainless Elite. Oh, well... Live and learn.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Ok, so I've talked about my P7 and the love I have for it before I know many others feel the same. I continue to be amazed at how incredible this gun is. I was at the range again today, and impressed as always. IMO, the safest, most reliable, accurate handgun ever. So, with that opinion said, why has no one, including HK, ever tried to replicate maybe in a tupperware style, or lightweight metal ? I gotta believe many would be interested - is it just cost factors ? Going along with that, does anyone know exactly why HK stopped making them ?
    Going to add another to my wishlist for the new year - maybe a hard chrome or nickel one - although I might stick pure original and go with another blue.
    The Vector VP1 (or something) used the P7's same gas retarded blowback mechanism, and was a polymer gun. (no squeeze cocker though)

They're no longer sold any more. They had some quality control issues.

I have a P7 too, and love it. Mine is out getting a nice brushed hard chrome finish right now.
    Last edited by Valorius; December 22nd, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    The Vector VP1 (or something) used the P7's same gas retarded blowback mechanism, and was a polymer gun. (no squeeze cocker though)

They're no longer sold any more. They had some quality control issues.

I have a P7 too, and love it. Mine is out getting a nice brushed hard chrome finish right now.
    Here's a link on the CP1.

There was also the Wilson ADP.

I would have a hard time believing that the ZVI Kevin's operation wasn't inspired by the P7. It directs gas straight against the slide instead of using a piston, so it's basically the same concept but simpler.

So, there's a few pistols that have used it's system.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    I may be the only one, but I hated my P7 and sold it . . . I just couldn't get over that squeeze cocker. For some reason, we just didn't play well together . . .

You're not the Lone Ranger, SC. I handled a P7 for some time at Ace Sporing Goods back in mid-October and I positively could not get in synch with the squeeze-cocking thing AT ALL. And I thought the piece was pretty heavy for its size, even given it was unloaded. Not my cup of Earl Grey.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Of course it's heavy for it's size, it's all steel! I prefer to think of it as super compact for it's weight!

I have watched a lot of people at the range struggle to understand the ultra simple concept of the P7.

In a nutshell:

Squeeze the cocker
    KEEP COCKER SQUEEZED DURING ENTIRE FIRING SEQUENCE- DO NOT RELEASE BETWEEN SHOTS
    Fire all rounds in magazine
    Eject magazine
    Insert new magazine, squeeze cocker to return pistol to battery.
    Rinse and repeat

I can hand my P7 to a gun person that is not familiar with the design, and it is the rare person that can get the gun to go "click" without telling them how it works.

This is, without a doubt, the single most user friendly, secure and forgiving design i have ever come across. Only 3 controls on the entire gun, yet, it has an extremely high level of security. And they are obscenely accurate.

I LOVE my P7! Here's a pic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast