Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Shotgun ranges?

Default Shotgun ranges?

I'm looking for a good range to shoot my shotgun. I only noticed recently (whoops) that SGL public ranges do not permit shot shells... for some odd reason, I was under the impression that 00 buck was permitted. Not so. I'd like to find somewhere to shoot paper targets, at a minimum, with various loads ranging from bird to slugs. Handgun and rifle ranges would be a plus. I'm not against paying for membership, as long as the fees are reasonable.

After browsing a bit here, I've seen Daisytown mentioned a few times. What's the atmosphere like there? Any members present? Do they have any sort of trial membership or, at the very least, would they let me take a look around?

Thanks for any help.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Shotgun ranges?

The problem with shotguns is the cleanup afterwards , no one does it !
    For the type of shooting you want to do , Daisytown only has one range , thats the rifle range , all other ranges are off limits to shotguns . They do have a trap field though .

Dues are 25.00 a year , If you want to looksey , the club is open Sunday 12 noon to 3 pm .Trap is open to the public then but the ranges are members only , but you can look all you want .

May I suggest Portage Revolver and Pistol club , It's probably more suited to your needs .Their dues are 10.00 a year and they have two ranges . One behind the club house and one up in Martindale .

Have a happy holiday
    DAN

notenough, Portage sounds to be about what I'm looking for, thanks a lot! I'll probably try to get in and take a look around Daisytown anyway, just because it's a lot shorter drive.

Thanks again!

Dont forget Greater Jackson Sportsmens. Great club in mundy's corner with a rifle range and four traps. I believe membership is 15$ a year.

(Cambria County)

Greater Jackson is only $10, $2 for seniors.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Cambria County)

Daiseytown has a membership meeting tonight at 7pm.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

(Bedford County)

Don't know how close you are to Pleasantville at the foot of the mountain along Rt 56, but Chestnut Ridge Bow and Gun has a 100 yd outdoor range open to members every day. We shoot trap every Tuesday in the summer, and have Sporting Clays the 3rd Sunday of each month.

Dues are $15.00 a year, with a $10.00 fee for 1st time members. We'd love to have ya, if it fits.

Dan, I used to love shooting trap on Sundays up at Daisytown. Any idea if they're gonna start that again this year?

Bedford Fudd

(Cambria County)

Wife's been shooting at Jackson Sportsmen this winter . Daisytown has become a fair weather club as far as trap shooting goes , seems like cold weather drives everyone away . I'm sure it will pick up again when the weather suites and the people that winter over in Florida come home .
    DAN