Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Glock?

(Allegheny County)

Default Why Glock?

I have been in the market for a sub-compact 40 for quite sometime now, and everyone refers me to the glock 27. I have never been afan of Glocks, but they seem to have quite the following. Is there something I am missing?

Default Re: Why Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybusiness View Post
    I have been in the market for a sub-compact 40 for quite sometime now, and everyone refers me to the glock 27. I have never been afan of Glocks, but they seem to have quite the following. Is there something I am missing?
    No, you're not missing anything. I've never been a fan of sub compacts. I had a G30 for a short time, but it was too small for my liking & I replaced it with a G23. Glocks are fat, ugly, with generic ergonomics & they have no soul. They do have a reputation for dependability, though.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

My suggestion is to try and find someone who owns one and try it out, then you can be the judge on weather you like or not. Glocks you either love them or hate them, not much in between.

(Lancaster County)

I had one when I was new to firearms. I thought the recoil was snappy. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it either. I recently shot one and I was accurate and the recoil wasn't bad at all.

Sub compacts are great for concealment. I rather sacrifice comfort for more capacity though. Just my opinion.

(Luzerne County)

You're not missing anything. They are dependable and reliable but most of the big names are. I think a lot of the Glock following is due to movies and media. That being said, I own a 27. It is accurate, it goes bang when I pull the trigger.

When I went shopping for my EDC I knew I wanted a sub compact 40. I didn't want to fuss with any manual safety devices, when my life is in danger or I am pinned down I don't want to worry about having the right grip or flipping a switch with my thumb. I want to draw and fire. Glock fit those requirements.

I have nothing bad to say about my 27. If I were looking for a new carry weapon, I would buy another Glock. If I am looking for something to decorate my safe with or show off at the range, I would buy something else.

Just my .02
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    You're not missing anything. They are dependable and reliable but most of the big names are. I think a lot of the Glock following is due to movies and media. That being said, I own a 27. It is accurate, it goes bang when I pull the trigger.

When I went shopping for my EDC I knew I wanted a sub compact 40. I didn't want to fuss with any manual safety devices, when my life is in danger or I am pinned down I don't want to worry about having the right grip or flipping a switch with my thumb. I want to draw and fire. Glock fit those requirements.

I have nothing bad to say about my 27. If I were looking for a new carry weapon, I would buy another Glock. If I am looking for something to decorate my safe with or show off at the range, I would buy something else.

Just my .02
    omg I feel like such a noob... what does "EDC" stand for ??? So many acronyms so little time..

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jshwak View Post
    omg I feel like such a noob... what does "EDC" stand for ??? So many acronyms so little time..
    Every Day Carry

Or

Especially Dense Customer

Pick the one that fits the sentence.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Every Day Carry

Or

Especially Dense Customer

Pick the one that fits the sentence.
    wow...now I feel worse...

(Lehigh County)

csmith pretty much hit it on the head. They are reliable guns with nothing extra to fuss with. They aren't pretty, but they work (but again, most big names do). Like csmith, I went with the glock because I didn't want an external safety for the gun. I didn't want the extra step. I went with the G23, but that's because it fit better in my hand, and I don't really have a problem concealing it in my Crossbreed supertuck as my every day carry piece.

(Philadelphia County)

1. Ubiquitous - 65% of US police force use Glock. If it's good enough for them, it's more than good enough for me. In term of the accessories department, they are like the iPhone. There are TONS of options aftermarket, from night sights to holsters.

2. Reliable - Until the screw up with the 4th Gen on some models, Glocks are known to be extremely reliable, even without putting a lot of care into them. People can say "well, other brand name are too", but Glock reputation has been unmatched especially given the # of reported problems and the sheer massive number out there.

3. Affordable - a typical good gun costs on average $400 - $600, pretty much the cost of all standard Glock. Used Glocks can go for as low as $300.

4. Ease of use - No fancy schmancy attachments/options, just point and pull trigger. I have never heard of a Glock what is picky about ammo either.

Glock is the first and is the de facto standard polymer handgun. Everything else is an imitation, in one form or another.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast