Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Safety?

(Lycoming County)

Default Glock Safety?

So I have been on here for over a year now, done a fair amount of research. Talked to friends, went to some gun shops. Pretty much have started to narrow my search for a hand gun.

I want something I can conceal carry on occasion, have it in my vehicle when going on drives, and take out to the range for target practice.

Looking to stay with 9mm or .40 cal, and like having more than 10 in the mag. Also price is somewhat of an issue, $500 is the sweet spot.

So I have been eyeing up Glocks for awhile. Liked the 19 but it is rather large for conceal carry, some friends suggested the 26 which proves to be a much more compact gun.

However my issue is safety. Obviously Glocks have made a name for themselves and people stand by the product. But something about that DAO Trigger safety just doesn't seem like enough to me. Granted in an attack situation fumbling with safeties isn't ideal but if this thing is going to be unused 99% of the time I conceal carry I'd rather not be afraid with every step of an accidental discharge.

So people of PAFOA, Do you find Glocks safety stands up? Or should I be scoping for something else?
    Last edited by Scubaru_Steve; December 22nd, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock Safety?

You need to search the subject, there's a 10,000 page post titled with the exact question you are asking and it was a train wreck.

But to answer your question they are as safe as their user, now going to get some popcrn.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    You need to search the subject, there's a 10,000 page post titled with the exact question you are asking and it was a train wreck.

But to answer your question they are as safe as their user, now going to get some popcrn.
    My bad, its 11:30p and I'm exhausted, completely forgot to check before I posted.

(Montgomery County)

I posted a similar question, and the responses will more than cover your question. That thread is below:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/15...ty-enough.html

I ended up test firing numerous handguns since, and decided on a Ruger SR9C. The main reason wasn't so much the safety, but the feel of the gun when firing. (although the trigger safety was still a consideration for me)

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    I posted a similar question, and the responses will more than cover your question. That thread is below:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/15...ty-enough.html

I ended up test firing numerous handguns since, and decided on a Ruger SR9C. The main reason wasn't so much the safety, but the feel of the gun when firing. (although the trigger safety was still a consideration for me)
    I actually had looked at that gun. Looked like a solid gun and a good price. I'll have to stop back at my local gun shop to get a feel for one.

The safety is my biggest concern with the Glock, I just know I'll go to reholster that one time I don't look down and something will catch the trigger....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru_Steve View Post
    I actually had looked at that gun. Looked like a solid gun and a good price. I'll have to stop back at my local gun shop to get a feel for one.

The safety is my biggest concern with the Glock, I just know I'll go to reholster that one time I don't look down and something will catch the trigger....
    Training, training and training. Best thing you can do if you've never handled a firearm before. Take the time and sign up for a course, you won't regret it.

My first firearm was a Glock 19, bought it about 10 years ago, still have it. Refused to buy it until I least took a basic safety course, followed that up with a few other courses afterwards.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Before you get blasted with the whole "booger hook",bla bla bla...

I will just say yes they are very safe pistols and as long as the trigger is not pulled they will not fire.
    You must respect and train with them(same as any gun), learn safe handling and be very aware of the trigger when drawing and holstering making sure that nothing gets into the trigger guard area inadvertently. I have a G26 and love the gun, its a great choice!

As a new gun owner you should get what you feel comfortable with and if that means picking a pistol with a manual frame or slide mounted safety and or grip safeties then there are plenty of other choices as well.
    Last edited by Beardog; December 22nd, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Glock's are perfectly safe, as long as you are. The ONLY way a GLock is going to go off, is if you press the trigger. You carry in a good holster that covers the trigger, you won't have a problem.

(Lackawanna County)

Agree with rich, I have been carrying a glock in either 19,17 or 26 variation since 2001. I have never had any issues without having a manual external safety. And I even carried small of the back with a shitty uncle mikes velcro holster for about 2 years!! Then I became informed and now carry in a serpa. Some people dont like serpas but thats a whole nother topic lol. Basically practice your draw and reholster with a GOOD solid non-collapsible holster that covers the trigger and you should be fine!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru_Steve View Post

Up until I shot the Ruger I thought I'd be going with a SW M&P 9. But the Ruger just felt great. I had a much easier time getting back on target between shots than I did with the Glock. The grip on the Glock is "blockier" and while the recoil was essentially the same I found it more difficult to shoot with the same accuracy. I ended up buying the SR9C last weekend at the Oaks gun show for $398, so I think I got a good deal for my #1 choice.

As for the safety, after reading all the opinions I came to a conclusion about the Glock safety. The gun itself is 100% safe. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you want to bet your life on your ability to be 100% safe at all times. It only takes 1 distraction, one slip of a finger on that trigger to fire a round in ANY gun. On a Glock, you don't have that extra layer of protection against your own negligence that other weapons can offer. When I was testing out different guns I was sure to use guns that had different safeties to see which I preferred. For me, it's definitely the ambidextrous type of safety like is on the Ruger.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast