Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Glock Safety?

Default Re: Glock Safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru_Steve View Post
    I guess the biggest reason I have stuck with the idea of Glock is so many people tell me how much they love the gun.
    A lot of people swear by mustangs too, doesn't mean they're not rust prone rattly boxes of Ford junk!

(Franklin County)

Go to Youtube. If you search "accidental discharge" the first two clips are not Glocks. The first one is a Kimber, the second is a Baretta.
    Keep going down through them. There will be some Glocks, there will be other brands represented.
    My point? Giving one example of someone having an accidental discharge with a Glock means zero, giving two examples means zero, giving three.....You get the idea.
    People that are going to shoot themselves will do it with whatever happens to be in their hand at the time.
    To the OP, get what you feel comfortable using and as long as you operate it safely, it wont fire until you are ready for it to fire, that includes a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
    They can be funny,but informative as well,I remember years ago shooting an IPSC match and having a discussion with fellow shooters about whether or not they apply the safety while moving from one shooting position to another,and recalling one very good A class shooter saying he didn't need to because his finger won't be on the trigger.Well about two matches after that while running thru a course of fire he trips and goes head over heels,his hand reflexively tightens on the gun and boom.Luckily no one was hurt.So much for the "biological safety".None of us are exempt from making mistakes.
    Yep. Seen similar things myself.

Anyone that wiggles their finger at you like they're a super cool Delta Forces trooper who doesn't need a safety....remind them....they do not have even 1% of a Delta Force's troopers training or experience. Then remind them that there's about a 99.99% they couldn't even make in delta to begin with.

And that even in Delta, operators have been put out of the unit for having ND's when their "biological safety" failed.

The HUMAN BEING OPERATOR is the single most failable piece of equipment on any firearm. Yes, this means everyone who posts and reads here.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Go to Youtube. If you search "accidental discharge" the first two clips are not Glocks. The first one is a Kimber, the second is a Baretta.
    Keep going down through them. There will be some Glocks, there will be other brands represented.
    My point? Giving one example of someone having an accidental discharge with a Glock means zero, giving two examples means zero, giving three.....You get the idea.
    People that are going to shoot themselves will do it with whatever happens to be in their hand at the time.
    To the OP, get what you feel comfortable using and as long as you operate it safely, it wont fire until you are ready for it to fire, that includes a Glock.
    What it all boils down to- again- is that some designs are much more forgiving of user error than others.

PS: The 1911 has always had a high ND rate in it's own right. Before the glock came around, these conversations centered on the 1911, and it's use by beginners.
    Last edited by Valorius; December 22nd, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

(Montgomery County)

There is prob never a situation in which you much holster your firearm as fast as possible.. Take your time and make sure your equipment, including the holster are in good working condition.

The gun won't go bang unless you pull the trigger.. This is true for any gun out there.. revolvers have no safety, not even a trigger safety like the Glock.. Don't pull the trigger and it won't go bang.

practice, practice, practice and then practice some more, safe gun handling and keeping your fingers off the trigger until ready to fire.

I've seen people fall at USPSA/IDPA matches.. Sometimes it is scary for the onlookers.. As spectators we've been able to see what caliber someone was shooting, from the muzzle end (swept). again scary.. The gun safety rules almost allow you to make 1 mistake and still not end up hurting anyone..

It is the multiple mistakes that cause incidents..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    People are stupid, they won't get it.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    So would you agree that it was pointed in a safe direction?
    Straw man.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    It is the multiple mistakes that cause incidents..

This
    Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Straw man.
    I guess if we all used your thought process it might be viewed like that. We get it, you don't like Glocks.

Valorius hates Glocks!
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    There is prob never a situation in which you much holster your firearm as fast as possible..
    Sounds like wishful thinking to me. I can think of several, and most of them just plain involve being in a hurry.

The gun won't go bang unless SOMETHING pulls the trigger.. This is true for any gun out there.. revolvers have no safety, not even a trigger safety like the Glock.. Don't pull the trigger and it won't go bang.
    FIXED!

A revolver with no safety is not comparable to the trigger on a Glock. So hey...FAIL!

Now if you want to compare a cocked revolver to a glock, we're much closer to reality.

I've seen people fall at USPSA/IDPA matches.. Sometimes it is scary for the onlookers.. As spectators we've been able to see what caliber someone was shooting, from the muzzle end (swept). again scary.. The gun safety rules almost allow you to make 1 mistake and still not end up hurting anyone..

It is the multiple mistakes that cause incidents.
    Hence designing weapons and other machines that have multiple redundant safety systems.

Some are far more forgiving of mistakes than others.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    This

I guess if we all used your thought process it might be viewed like that. We get it, you don't like Glocks.

Valorius hates Glocks!
    If you used my thought process, it would go like this:

Buy a weapon with multiple redundant safeties
    Buy a weapon that a perp cannot fire instantly if he wrestles it from me, or finds it in my house during a burglary, and i walk in on him.
    Buy a weapon that has a good degree of user friendliness in it
    Buy a weapon that is NOT hideously ugly.

That is my criteria.

Based on that criteria, the Glock design is a total fail.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    If you used my thought process, it would go like this:

Buy a weapon with multiple redundant safeties
    Buy a weapon that a perp cannot fire instantly if he wrestles it from me, or finds it in my house during a burglary, and i walk in on him.
    So, would you support "Smart Gun" technology that would enable the gun to only be fired by the registered owner?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast