Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default Opinions on a .22 pistol

I was at my local gun shop the other night with my wife, and was getting some ideas for a pistol for her. I am looking for a shooter and a carry for her, if she can get over her fears. She had a very big scare when she was little.

Anyway, we were looking at the Walther P22. She likes it, just wondering what opinions you guys have as far as durability, reliability, and stuff along those lines. I know there are probably better choices out there, BUT, this is the one she seems the most interested in, so on that note, I am going to take advantage of her expressing interest. Don't want to push something else and have her lose that interest.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Opinions on a .22 pistol

I've only shot one on two seperate occasions and it ran fine. We were shooting it suppressed which was pretty nice as well. I plan on picking one up when I see a good deal on one.

If that's the one she likes and it feels good to her, then go for it. I'd maybe try to find one she can try first, but it's a slick little pistol.
    Last edited by clarion44; December 21st, 2011 at 03:39 AM.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by clarion44 View Post
    I've only shot one on two seperate occasions and it ran fine. We were shooting it suppressed which was pretty nice as well. I plan on picking one up when I see a good deal on one.

If that's the one she likes and it feels good to her, then go for it. I'd maybe try to find one she can try first, but it's a slick little pistol.
    I planned on buying her one with tax money in a few months. She was able to hold it and get an idea of what it was like, I would like to get her to shoot one though, but I don't know anyone local who has one.

She has shot pistols before, I had a S&W Sigma in 9mm and currently have a SA XD40. She was OK with those, but being 4'11" and barely 100lbs, she didn't like how the recoil hurt her wrists. She has shot a .22lr revolver and was comfortable with that. We were looking at different pistols that night and she had some interest in a .38 revolver, but changed her mind. She saw the P22 and that was the one she expressed the most interest in.

She said she felt comfortable with it, and manipulating it. I don't want to push too hard, like I said earlier. So I figured, I would ask here, about this, then possibly get it for her. Once she is comfortable carrying, maybe move to something more suitable for self defense. But for now, I don't want to turn her off to the idea of carrying by pushing to hard.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

If she feels comfortable with it then that is what she should use. Don't let other try to get you to get her into another caliber that she isn't comfortable with.

While a .22 isn't your typical self defense caliber it can and has done the job. If it can take down deer, it can take down a human.

(Lycoming County)

Right now just focus on her getting to the range and becoming comfortable and familiar with the pistol (once purchased). The P22 should be a good start. Definitely don't push the subject of carrying. It's a decision she needs to make herself.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Bucks County)

the walther p22's are decent guns that had a few issues years ago but walther has since worked out all the bugs. if you're trying to get her interested in firearms and she likes the p22 by all means buy it for her. the only reason i don't have one is because i already own 3 22 cal pistols and don't need a 4th. if you haven't already done so checkout the beretta tomcat. it's a bit smaller than the walther but it has a tip up barrel that eliminates the need to charge the slide to load a round. in my opinion the beretta is a better gun but i think the walther is easier to shoot because of the longer pistol grip. taurus, ruger and SW make some fine revolvers chambered in 22 so you might want to have her take a look at them before making a final decision. if there's a range near you that rents the walther it would be a great idea to let her shoot the p22 and other 22's before laying down your cash.
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 21st, 2011 at 07:03 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

The p22 is a fine gun for her to start with, just use HV ammo, when I had mine I used CCI mini-mags and never had any problems, I would also have her handle a Walther PK 380, just a little bit larger than the P22 and is real easy to rack the slide.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

You mentioned that she shot a revolver and was comfortable with it. Ruger has just announced an 8-shot .22LR version of the LCR. Might be tough to find for a while, but definitely worth a look. They are also re-introducing the .22 LR SP101, also 8-shot but a lot heavier.