Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Correction Officers Carry Questions

A friend of mine is a corrections officer in Northampton County. They have had a couple shootings in the area of the prison lately and he was talking about it. He said it was too bad he can't carry while walking from the building to his car and vise-versa. I thought he meant because he lives in NJ. I told him to get his non-resident LTCF and lock up his weapon when he gets to work; since the LEO's can lock theirs up, I figured he would be able too. He tells me that it's not that he doesn't have a LTCF but that it's that their code of ethics that prohibits the carrying or a firearm on County property. My questions are these:

1. Is this a violation of 6120?

2. 6106 B has an exception for prison deputies, but they aren't considered officers of the Law here, so isn't that exception moot?

3. I'm having trouble finding the section that states there must be somewhere to secure your firearm if it's a prohibited place like a court house and does this include prisons?

Any help would be great. Thanks
    Criminals LOVE gun control. It gives them a safe work enviroment.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Correction Officers Carry Questions

Prisons provide lockers for visitors who have License to Carry. However, firearms are not permitted to be left in vehicles. It appears that as least in this case, employees are not permitted to bring guns to the prison.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-D View Post
    Prisons provide lockers for visitors who have License to Carry. However, firearms are not permitted to be left in vehicles. It appears that as least in this case, employees are not permitted to bring guns to the prison.
    They are civilians just like you and me till they punch in for work, then their employer can say whatever they want to. Seems like the county is in violation by saying no firearms on the property.

(Monroe County)

A lot of places have the same restrictions in place for employees at jails. It's stupid and needs to be changed. A disgruntled ex inmate knows exactly where to find you and what time you get off work if you work there. The distance from the building to your vehicle is a death zone.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; December 31st, 2011 at 01:52 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pamedic View Post
    A friend of mine is a corrections officer in Northampton County. They have had a couple shootings in the area of the prison lately and he was talking about it. He said it was too bad he can't carry while walking from the building to his car and vise-versa. I thought he meant because he lives in NJ. I told him to get his non-resident LTCF and lock up his weapon when he gets to work; since the LEO's can lock theirs up, I figured he would be able too. He tells me that it's not that he doesn't have a LTCF but that it's that their code of ethics that prohibits the carrying or a firearm on County property. My questions are these:

1. Is this a violation of 6120?

2. 6106 B has an exception for prison deputies, but they aren't considered officers of the Law here, so isn't that exception moot?

3. I'm having trouble finding the section that states there must be somewhere to secure your firearm if it's a prohibited place like a court house and does this include prisons?

Any help would be great. Thanks
    1. No since the authority is through state statute (18 Pa CSA 5122) which gives the detaining authority the ability to ban weapons;

2. unclear;

3. 18 Pa CSA 913 - applies to 'court facilities', not prisons.

An NJ resident cannot get a Pa LTCF unless he already has an NJCCW.
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-D View Post
    Not always true. They may provide lockers for police bringing in new commitments, etc...but do not always supply them for a simple visitor with a LTCF.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by pamedic View Post
    A friend of mine is a corrections officer in Northampton County. They have had a couple shootings in the area of the prison lately and he was talking about it.
    Could you provide links or information relating to these shootings? I live in the area and I don’t recall any shootings in that area at all.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Not always true. They may provide lockers for police bringing in new commitments, etc...but do not always supply them for a simple visitor with a LTCF.
    Hmmm, As gun unfriendly Philly provides lockers for LCTF, I assumed the rest of the State would.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 30Glock View Post
    Could you provide links or information relating to these shootings? I live in the area and I don’t recall any shootings in that area at all.
    I'm guessing he means this:

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-12-19...ive-joe-alonzo

Not sure about the 2nd one he was talking about. I'll ask him.

(Lehigh County)

I think perhaps this is partially due the fear, while probably irrational, that an inmate who has escaped, could get their hands on the weapon, even though we know (some of) the corrections officers already carry firearms, handguns and long-guns, in various aspects of keeping control of their duties..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast