Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Can I take a shotgun and a bow out at the same time for deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    What if I took my rifle and my bow during rifle season?
    Since it's not limited to Archery, I'd say you're good to go. Would you agree?
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    Since it's not limited to Archery, I'd say you're good to go. Would you agree?
    Huh? What's the difference between his situation and mine? Both scenarios involve having a firearm and a bow during overlapping gun and archery seasons.

My season is not limited to archery for doe, only for buck. I can use either a gun or a bow for doe, so whats the problem? That I might use the shotgun for a buck?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Huh? What's the difference between his situation and mine? Both scenarios involve having a firearm and a bow during overlapping gun and archery seasons.

My season is not limited to archery for doe, only for buck. I can use either a gun or a bow for doe, so whats the problem? That I might use the shotgun for a buck?
    Honestly I don't know. I always heard that you can only hunt with one OR the other, not both... but up until recently it wasn't actually much of an issue... I would like clarification as well. someone email the PGC or call them and ask... or PM our resident WCO?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Erie County)

Actually his scenario was during "rifle" season not archery. My reasoning is that a rifle and any "lesser" weapon may be used during that season. For instance I sometimes carry both a rifle and a Ruger SRH during deer and bear season. One short range and one long range.

I'd pose that almost anything would go...rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader, crossbow, or bow could all be carried (unless specifically limited for a specific locality) during "rifle" season.

But in archery season you cannot carry a firearm for hunting, even if the archery season overlaps small game, muzzleloader, etc. Subtle difference, but a difference none the less.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    Actually his scenario was during "rifle" season not archery. My reasoning is that a rifle and any "lesser" weapon may be used during that season. For instance I sometimes carry both a rifle and a Ruger SRH during deer and bear season. One short range and one long range.

I'd pose that almost anything would go...rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader, crossbow, or bow could all be carried (unless specifically limited for a specific locality) during "rifle" season.

But in archery season you cannot carry a firearm for hunting, even if the archery season overlaps small game, muzzleloader, etc. Subtle difference, but a difference none the less.
    But there is also "regular firearms" season that starts on the 26th for 5C, that's my point. Here is the text from the digest:

DEER, ANTLERLESS only, Extended Regular Firearms (WMUs 2B, 5C & 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 28, 2012. An
    antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.
    So I can legally go out with a shotgun for deer. And I can legally go out with a bow for deer. The question is, can I legally go out with both at the same time?

Or am I missing something?

(Erie County)

But there is also "regular firearms" season that starts on the 26th for 5C, that's my point. Here is the text from the digest:

So I can legally go out with a shotgun for deer. And I can legally go out with a bow for deer. The question is, can I legally go out with both at the same time?

Or am I missing something?
    But there are limitations on the firearm...no antlered deer. But it's just my opinion.

Call the regional office. You'll get an answer. It may not be the best legal answer, but it will most likely be how the PGC will enforce it.

Preferably, talk with a supervisor. They will have the most accurate answer.

Another option is to post the question on huntingpa.com under their "law" section. Several WCo's post there, including a retired law enforcement supervisor. They give good, straight forward answers.

Report back when you do get an answer...interesting question.
    Last edited by ChuckS; December 21st, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

(Bucks County)

Okay I just talked to Ed at the southeast regional office (610-926-3136) and he said it was illegal. I said, "can you tell me where in the law I can find that statute?" He said he didn't know, but it's illegal. I kept pushing for more of an explanation but he kept repeating over and over that it was illegal and that's that.

I'm not totally satisfied with that. I wanna see the law. I assume it's in Title 34 but can't seem to find it:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=575665&mode=2

ETA: Just got a call back from Ed, he directed me to page 40 of the digest where it says:

Archery Seasons: Long, recurve, compound bows and crossbows
    with broadheads of cutting-edge design. An arrow and crossbow
    bolt must be equipped with a broadhead not more than three inches
    long and at least 7/8 inches wide, with at least two cutting edges
    on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface.
    Magnifying scopes and red dot sights can be used on crossbows.
    Persons hunting deer in the archery seasons may not possess a
    firearm, except those individuals who have a License to Carry
    Firearms permit, and then only those firearms authorized by the
    permit (most sporting arms are not authorized). Muzzleloading
    firearms can also be carried by bowhunters during any
    muzzleloading season, providing the hunter has an archery license
    and a muzzleloader license and meets the fluorescent orange
    requirements of the muzzleloader season.
    But I told him I was looking for the actual statute, not just the text in the digest. Also that's not 100% clear because it doesn't say anything about when gun and archery seasons overlap. He said he was going to look into it and call me back.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; December 21st, 2011 at 06:26 PM.

(Bucks County)

Just got another call back from Ed. He directed me to Title 58, 141.43:

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the archery deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use or possess a firearm. Exceptions:

(A) A person may possess certain firearms during the archery deer season under the authorizations of section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

(B) A person may possess and use both a bow or crossbow and a muzzleloading firearm during the overlaps of the early archery and muzzleloader deer seasons and the late archery and flintlock muzzleloading deer seasons if that person is in possession of both a valid archery deer license and a valid muzzleloader deer license and meets the greater protective material requirements for the muzzleloader deer season, if applicable.
    Looks like it's a no-go. Oh well, at least we have confirmation now!

Although I see a loophole for carrying an SBS. If you had a shotgun with a 17.5 inch rifled barrel, it seems that it would be legal. And I don't see anything that would prohibit using said SBS to shoot a doe. Thoughts?
    Last edited by bac0nfat; December 21st, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

(Delaware County)

so take your inline and your bow, got your distance and your bow for buck. problem solved
    Volunteer firefighters, unpaid professionals

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by orangejeep54 View Post
    so take your inline and your bow, got your distance and your bow for buck. problem solved

An inline is not legal during the late muzzleloading season, only flintlocks.

bacOnfat, that's the trouble with having laws that are so prescriptive. I'm sure that when that law was written, no one considered that a shotgun season may overlap.

The way the seasons change from year-to-year now there are a lot more opportunities to overlap (conflict?) and the laws haven't kept up with the original intent.

For instance, by changing and extending the bear season it goofed up turkey season last year.

The difference in accuracy between a muzzleloader and a shotgun is minimal in my opinion. It doesn't make sense to allow one but not the other in your situation.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast