Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Commander 1911's

Looking to purchase my first 1911 in the near future.

I'm pretty conservative with my money, so I like my purchases to function all around as a carry/range/HD weapon. The 4/4.25" barrel really seems to fit all of my desires with carry/comfort/concealment being it's primary use.

I really have my eyes set on the Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator, I just love the way the gun looks, and I really prefer the look of it with a rail as opposed to without.

My issue is that I'm a generally poor college student, and from what I've been able to gather while shopping around, is that this gun will probably set me back anywhere from 800-1000. Seeing as this is going to be my first 1911, I feel like I could get my feet wet with something cheaper, but I have been unable to find a Commander sized 1911 with a rail from any other manufacturer.

Anyone know who else would make such a gun?
    RIA and Taurus are the two that I would turn to but they only offer full size models.
    Last edited by SAB215; December 19th, 2011 at 06:01 PM.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Commander 1911's

If you didn't want the rail it'd be easier, but I've never seen one from one of the cheaper manufactuerers doing railed commander length. Surefire does make an add-on rail kit though for around $100.00

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    Looking to purchase my first 1911 in the near future.

My issue is that I'm a generally poor college student
    Search the used market, including sites like Gun Broker and Auction Arms and Guns America to get a feel for what the going prices are, look at Bud's Gun Shop website also. Visit shops in your area to see what is available locally and if you can find one that will bring a firearm in for you on an internet purchase.

Just do your homework and learn what to look for when buying a used gun.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I like the Commander size 1911 also, its a little rarer then the full size. And i could see it being a little harder to find. But you do see them around along with SFA champion (its actually a little smaller then the Commander). There out there and almost all the brands of 1911s have a version.

Usually for some reason the slightly smaller version is a little more expensive. I assume because its easier to CC. Good luck in your search.

(Philadelphia County)

Springfield makes over 100 pistol models. However, their production lines are not equipped to make all the models at the same time. Their current concentration appears to be on the EMP & XD models.

BTW: A Commander (Colt) has a 4.25" barrel with a barrel bushing. The 4" barrel pistols utilize a so called bull barrel. I say so called because the bull barrel feature is only at the muzzle, which negates the use of a barrel bushing.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Commander 1911's

i guess my question would be are you really going to use the rail or is a look that you like. imo if your not going to utilize the rail for a accessory go without and broaden your choices. you can always get a rail gun later. btw the ria commander is a good entry level 1911 for reasonable $.

(Philadelphia County)

I like the look, but also have a TLR on my shortlist for HD.

If you're going to carry the gun, you might rethink the rail. Holsters can be an issue, as can disc enlargement! I went back and forth with the rail debate and just can't justify it. I'd rather have the light in my off hand for most applications, but there are times a rail light could work.

I thought I saw that Charles Daly or Rock Island was going to make a commander size???

I love my Springfield 1911 full size. It's a no frill, but they are a good bang for the buck, with great customer service. For value, do not discount EAA with their Witness lineup. Not a 1911, but a SA that can be very comfortable for some. Their Witness Match is the most accurate production 45 I ever shot. I shot it side by side with an HK full size - both have the polygonal barrel, but the Witness was more accurate. Another feature is that you can swap top ends, so with one frame, you can have a 45, 40, and 9mm.

I had a Colt commander in 9mm. Now I have an empty hole in my heart that used to be filled with the joy of owning that gun...
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Philadelphia County)

There's a Colt Commander for sale in the classifieds, Click Here!

I also agree that the rail feature makes finding a holster difficult and also tends to tear up holsters!
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-D View Post
    Springfield makes over 100 pistol models. However, their production lines are not equipped to make all the models at the same time. Their current concentration appears to be on the EMP & XD models.
    XD's are imported from Croatia through Springfield. They do not affect their 1911lines in Brazil and the US. But they do go with batch manufactuering when it comes to the 1911s, they'll do X number of Range Officers, then so many Loadeds, then so many TRPs etc etc. Thats why at times some specific models can be hard to find.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast