Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Part time resident

Hello all & Merry Christmas. I have a house in Tannersville (3 yrs now) that I am at every weekend & any free time in between. I am a NY resident & want to be able to purchase fireams for use in PA. How do I accomplish this? Switching residency is not an option yet.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Part time resident

Quote Originally Posted by Divodave View Post
    Hello all & Merry Christmas. I have a house in Tannersville (3 yrs now) that I am at every weekend & any free time in between. I am a NY resident & want to be able to purchase fireams for use in PA. How do I accomplish this? Switching residency is not an option yet.
    Dave you dont have to switch residency just yet if you dont want to, you just have to switch driver's license, get your PA. drivers license and you are set.

As a Pa. property owner you are a pa resident owning a home and all.

Go down to the DMV. in Snydersville and get your Pa drivers license, bring some utility bills in your name and your social security card , the actual card not just the number, get your DL then you can buy any gun anywhere in PA.
    after that apply for for LTCF at the Sherrifs office in Stroudsburg as a 3 year resident you are more than qualify for your LTCF. But you DO NOT need a LCTF to buy guns just your DL, after you get your DL license and insure your car in PA and save thousands of dollars off your car insurance.

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome to the forum. If you must retain your principle place of residency in NY due to working for a Government Agency, the below link will not help. However if you desire to establish PA as your principle residence/domicile, here is a legal guide: Click Here!
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Chester County)

(Monroe County)

Thanks so much for the great advice. I will check out all your suggestions.
    Have a great Christmas & a successful new year. Happy shooting!

(Monroe County)

Update. I switched my drivers license over to PA. I went to Dunklebergers (big mistake) showed my (temp) license & the Gestapo like interrogations begun. The lady I was initially dealing with was nice enough, then this self absorbed 20 something got his beak in. I was asked where I pay my taxes, where I have my cars registered, what I use my PA house for. I very politely answered all their queries & was told that the ATF law didn't allow me to purchase a firearm because PA was not my primary residence. I explained (again very politely) that this was not the case & suggested they check the ATF website for clarification. Thats when the nasty pills kicked in & the 20something got his chest puffed out & barked "it didn't matter what the ATF law said, its what I say". They then insinuated that I would be taking the firearms back to NY for some nefarious plot or other. I thanked them for their time & left, quite discouraged! I will never purchase a thing in that store, neither will my friends. I had intended to spend around a $1000 on Saturday & planned to add approximately 5G's worth of merchandise in the near future. I have like minded friends who would have matched that & then some. DB just screwed themselves!

dunkle's has been kind to me in the past, too busy though.
    should've waited till you had your full license, it takes about 7 days to mail.

the guy's behavior was completely inappropriate. if you were planning a nefarious plot, you could have just bought local off the NYC corner drug dealer.
    and IMO, the ATF should disband and rot. and trying to cite personal beliefs under atf guise.<sigh>

personally, i don't feel comfortable with people leaving guns in vacation houses, they're robbed often and I'd assume the guns run to NY and NJ where the citizenry is unarmed and a prime target for an armed intruder.

but you could always try another dealer, there's a few who are on the forum and might see this topic. ASS is my favorite.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Monroe County)

Can't say I agree with how the employees at dunkelburgers handled this one, but I can't blame them for not going ahead on a sale with the OP. Losing an entire business and facing heavy fines/imprisonment to make one guy happy simply isn't worth the risk. You will find this kind of occurance is not uncommon anywhere in the country where an FFL is just trying to keep their business running within the law/support their family. Whether or not the OP has nefarious intentions this is the nature of the beast when you're under the federal governments scrutiny. You can thank the ATF, thank NY, and all the liberal fear mongers ruining our country.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Excerpt from the ATF handbook:
    State of residence. The State in which
    an individual resides. An individual resides
    in a State if he or she is present
    in a State with the intention of making
    a home in that State. If an individual
    is on active duty as a member of
    the Armed Forces, the individual’s
    State of residence is the State in which
    his or her permanent duty station is located.
    An alien who is legally in the
    United States shall be considered to be
    a resident of a State only if the alien is
    residing in the State and has resided in
    the State for a period of at least 90
    days prior to the date of sale or delivery
    of a firearm. The following are examples
    that illustrate this definition:
    Example 1. A maintains a home in State X.
    A travels to State Y on a hunting, fishing,
    business, or other type of trip. A does not become
    a resident of State Y by reason of such
    trip.
    Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains
    a home in State X and a home in State
    Y. A resides in State X except for weekends
    or the summer months of the year and in
    State Y for the weekends or the summer
    months of the year. During the time that A
    actually resides in State X, A is a resident of
    State X, and during the time that A actually
    resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Example 2, clearly states that I am a resident of Pennsylvania as soon as I put my head on the pillow there. Black & white as far as I'm concerned. I will wait for the permanent DL to come in the mail & try another store. I will be pissed if that doesn't work.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    dunkle's has been kind to me in the past, too busy though.
    should've waited till you had your full license, it takes about 7 days to mail.

the guy's behavior was completely inappropriate. if you were planning a nefarious plot, you could have just bought local off the NYC corner drug dealer.
    and IMO, the ATF should disband and rot. and trying to cite personal beliefs under atf guise.<sigh>

personally, i don't feel comfortable with people leaving guns in vacation houses, they're robbed often and I'd assume the guns run to NY and NJ where the citizenry is unarmed and a prime target for an armed intruder.

but you could always try another dealer, there's a few who are on the forum and might see this topic. ASS is my favorite.
    I appreciate the concern, although not foolproof, guns will be locked away in secure room & house is alarmed/video recorded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast