Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Pocket 9s & Glock 26

I have a Glock 26 that I sometimes carry. I was looking for another 9mm that was smaller in size that the 26. After doing some research the ones that I have come accross are only very slightly smaller in overall dimensions and you give up a few rounds besides. Anybody in a similar position that found something else to pocket carry instead of their 26?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Pocket 9s & Glock 26

I wanted a 'pocket' 9mm, and couldn't find anything on the market that I thought was really pocket sized.

I checked out the Keltec PF9 and the Ruger LC9 and felt both were too big for true pocket carry (save perhaps coat pocket).

I ended up with a Taurus TCP in .380. This, the LCP and the P3AT are more what I'd call pocket sized, but that's just my opinion.

Look at the PM9 or CM9. The are noticeably smaller and thinner than the G26,G27, G33. I pocket carry an LCP it its smaller than either of those but I still don't like carrying it in my pocket. Its more comfortable carrying my subcompact Glock IWB for me.

(Lancaster County)

I have a Kahr PM9 and can carry it in my front pocket all day. Although comfortable and offering maximum conceal-ability, I have abandoned this form of carry due to inability to draw the gun without fumbling. I have tried IWB and just cant get comfortable so Im back to OWB.

(Monroe County)

For pocket carry, weight is a real deciding factor for me. While a g26 is only a bit larger in height or length or even width, to me its about the weight.

Every ounce more in your pocket makes it less comfortable and easier to spot. Pocket guns tend to move a little bit as you walk, no matter the holster.

I have found the pm9 pm40 cm9 pf9 and r9 All carry in a dockers pocket really well. I carried a Keltec P40 for years in a pocket, so yes you can carry a g26, but It will not be as comfortable as a lighter slimmer gun.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

I think your thoughts reinforce the reason why so many just stick with the G26. Its got the small size and capcity. Yes, a little too large or heavy for true pocket carry but, I dont really think its meant for that either. Its deffinately more suited to IWB or OWB.

If I was you I'd get a nice IWB holster and a bunch of ammo and call it a day. I've never carried one in that method but, I'd imagine youd hardly notice it was there with a good holster.

Personaly for deep concealment I carry an LCP, back strongside pocket. As small as that is, it still bangs around off my thigh when I carry it front pocket and it pisses me off. Hence the back pocket. Its like sitting on my wallet. Lately though I'm thinking of ditching pocket carry altogether. IDK.

You wanna trade a G26 for an LCP?
    Last edited by brownman; December 19th, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Philadelphia County)

Add me to the group that say weight is a major deciding factor when it comes to pocket carry. My primary is also a G26, but it's impossible to "pocket" that sucker. I also tried ankling it with a Galco. While it works OK, it's not really ideal or for carrying for an extensive amount of time. In any case, I went through the same path of research as you, but decided that I can live with a 380ACP. Eventually, I got a Ruger LCP, which weighs well less than 1/2 the G26. I don't think you can really beat the LCP in this regard.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Somerset County)

I started out with the G26 and found it too big for pocket carry also. I bought a small 380 and it was great for pocket carry but I hated the gun and could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. With the Glock I am very comfortable with my ability to hit something and it has been very reliable. I went with a IWB holster and a couple of new shirts that hide it very well and now I am better armed and much more confident in my ability to defend myself if needed. Keep the Glock you will not be sorry.

(Northampton County)

My LC9 has no troubles as a pocket carry in a DeSantis holster. Some of my tighter fitting pants enhance the outline of what I'm "carrying" but otherwise it's unnoticeable, but that's more a product of my expanding waistline than it is the pistol's size.

If my Smith and Wesson OCed is missed by most of the general public, they're not going to notice the LC9 in my pocket. If you truly want to go smaller, there's some 380 options available, but without the data in front of me, I wouldn't go banking on the 380 being as effective as 9x19.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    Personaly for deep concealment I carry an LCP, back strongside pocket. As small as that is, it still bangs around off my thigh when I carry it front pocket and it pisses me off. Hence the back pocket. Its like sitting on my wallet. Lately though I'm thinking of ditching pocket carry altogether. IDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Add me to the group that say weight is a major deciding factor when it comes to pocket carry. My primary is also a G26, but it's impossible to "pocket" that sucker. I also tried ankling it with a Galco. While it works OK, it's not really ideal or for carrying for an extensive amount of time. In any case, I went through the same path of research as you, but decided that I can live with a 380ACP. Eventually, I got a Ruger LCP, which weighs well less than 1/2 the G26. I don't think you can really beat the LCP in this regard.

Al
    Yep....LCP... the go anywhere carry.
    Except to the hood.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast