Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Looking to buy a gun - need purchase and training suggestions

For only home protection, I'm considering buying a gun and need advice on what kind of a gun to purchase, where to purchase, general cost of a gun, and where I can get free or low cost gun safety training. Help!

I live in the Lancaster County area. Any thoughts?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Looking to buy a gun - need purchase and training suggestions

I'm not an expert, but for home protection a shotgun is commonly a very good choice. I'll leave the details to those more experienced than I am.

(Berks County)

There is a lot of good into for first time gun buyers in this thread >>

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/15...r-opinion.html

Check out what they said. Ps some guns can range from $60 to $2500 or even more, so theres a lot of research to be done. Doing a class with an NRA instructor for safety and learning the functions of pistols (semi auto vs revolver) BEFORE you buy your gun would be the best Idea, I know what works for me (Glock 19 / LC9) but I have no Idea what would work for you. Check out that link.
    "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" -Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by mindymac1 View Post
    For only home protection, I'm considering buying a gun and need advice on what kind of a gun to purchase, where to purchase, general cost of a gun, and where I can get free or low cost gun safety training. Help!

Would this thread help?

http://tinyurl.com/83feggw
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Training first, gun second.

Don't skimp on either. It's not a cheap hobby.

(Lycoming County)

Here is a website devoted to female related firearms issues and run by female firearms users/instructors.

You will learn a lot!

Check out: http://corneredcat.com/

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

Like most hobbies, you can spend as much or as little as you like. However, training, at the very least in gun safety, is a must here. Gun locks, safes, etc. are also necessary. Not everyone can afford shooting as a sport, but that doesn't mean they can't at least defend themselves.

I'm going to take a guess here: if you are wanting a gun to protect your household and children, but don't want to necessarily join the shooting sport, this would be my advice.

A gun is only part of the security solution. If you can afford the time and upkeep, a dog would help. The small yappy ones are the best, as they provide you with notice that something is amiss.

Whether you have a dog or not, once you are aware that there is trouble, grab your gun, gather your children, and move to one room that has a phone and a good view of anyone approaching. Call 911 and wait, gun in hand, for the police to arrive. No one gets through the "safe" room door, unless the 911 operator can identify them as a police officer.

This is very brief advice, as others have written there are plenty of good articles online.

Shotguns do require a 100 round break-in, as well as some practice. It really isn't just point a shoot. Lots of guys will tell you 12 gauge is best, but at 2:00AM, I best most of them couldn't handle the noise, muzzle falsh, or recoil, effectively. I use a 20 Gauge and Dick's has a good H&R pump, which is essntially a Remington 870 (one of the best for this purpose) and it goes on sale for $180.

If you want to have a handgun, for both home defense and carry, then more practice is required. Regarding what caliber, keep in mind that it doesn't matter how big the bullet is, if you can't hit the barn door with it. Again, it's 2 AM, you were woken from a sound sleep...think 9mm. Some experts actually keep a 22 caliber on their nightstand, because they know they can hit their target under these circumstances, without much effort.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Allegheny County)

Shotguns do require a 100 round break-in

What? Please explain why this is "required", and where it says so in the owners manual. I don't remember breaking my shotguns, or any gun I've owned for that matter.

Lots of guys will tell you 12 gauge is best, but at 2:00AM, I best most of them couldn't handle the noise, muzzle falsh, or recoil, effectively.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. The difference in muzzle flash is negligible, noise will always be a problem no matter what gun you make loud in a confined space, and recoil can be handles with proper recoil management techniques. If you're worried about muzzle flash, and recoil...get a rifle with a flash hider. (which is a better choice for home defense anyway)

Some experts actually keep a 22 caliber on their nightstand, because they know they can hit their target under these circumstances, without much effort.

.22 isn't a caliber that any serious trainer would keep on his nightstand simply because the poor ballistics, and lack of penetration make it a very bad choice for self defense.

Also, you say they keep the .22 because they can make the shot when they are in the worst case scenario, and everything is working against them.....then why not just carry that gun all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by mindymac1 View Post

Even though you may not be considering carrying a handgun for personal protection now, a PA License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) is a good thing to have.

See details here for your county:
    http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/sherif...p?A=3&Q=620126

Welcome to the forum!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Shotguns do require a 100 round break-in

What? Please explain why this is "required", and where it says so in the owners manual. I don't remember breaking my shotguns, or any gun I've owned for that matter.
    You should be breaking in every rifle and pistol barrel you plan to own for the rest of your life with a proper break in procedure using good ammunition and lots of cleaning every 5 or 10 shots to season a barrel. Look it up.

With shotguns, I think it is more about wearing in the moving parts. I agree, a shotgun should be shot AT LEAST 100 times to consider it functional, especially if used for home defense. I apply this to a $1500 Benelli or a $250 Pardner pump.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast