Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default what .22lr round do you guys prefer?

Just curious.

I bought some American Eagle .22LR to sight in my Savage as well as target shoot with. I also bought some subsonics and some hyper velocity rounds to try out.

However I would like to sight it in and shoot with one brand. Therefore I'm looking for something that isn't too expensive (and doesn't fluctuate a lot), accurate, reliable and clean shooting that I can stock up on and keep reserves of.

The American eagle isn't bad, but is anything better in a similar price range?

Default Re: what .22lr round do you guys prefer?

Years ago I bought a box or two of all the brands available locally. I tried them in each 22, particularly the semi-autos. I discovered that the bulk Remington 22 ammo worked in everything, and delivered decent accuracy. So, that's what I have in bulk.

Years ago it was sold in a container similar to a paper milk container, now it's sold in a flat box.

You'll have to repeat this experiment for your own collection. Some 22s can be really picky, ammo-wise.

If your firearm is manually-operated (I'm not familiar with the Savage product line), then you'll likely be looking at just accuracy and possibly cost.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; December 18th, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

I ask because my Savage is a bolt action. For now it would take too long to burn through bulk boxes of ammo to see what's best, and I don't want to try 15 different brands for the same reason. I'd like to get a general consensus on say 3-4 brands, then narrow it down, based on my rifle, from there.

However, I plan on adding a .22 semi-auto, possibly a used Marlin I saw.

I really like Federal that is usually found at Wally World. I prefer the bulk packs that are copper plated, but the lead packs are excellent as well. They have cycled well in my semi-autos, handgun and rifle.

I do not like Remington bulk packs, hate Winchester bulk packs and want to destroy Blazer. That is ranked in frequency of issues I've had with each manufacturer.

(Allegheny County)

I like the Federal bulk packs available at Walmart (Winchesters arent bad either). Ive tried them in a large range of firearms, all with dif types of actions. They functioned perfectly, out of 550 rounds I only had 2 misfires. Now ive tried the remington bulk packs (Golden Bullets) and they were HORRIBLE, misfires jams and every other problem you can imagine. Now for the average shooter the Federals would be ideal, they have decent accuracy are priced well and get the job done. Now if your looking for something almost match grade id suggest taking a look at the CCI line of .22's, they are the highest quality .22 round thats available on the average market thats not match grade, now if you want to get the highest level of accuracy possible, Id suggest looking into the "Wolf Match Grade" ammo. Last time I saw it it was around $4-5 for a box of 50, so its not the cheapest out there, but it will give you the best possible accuracy you can acheive with your rifle. Hope I helped.

oh and also the American Eagle is very good ammo, it is produced by Federal. I would use either for day-to-day applications.
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Fed Bulk Pak

You'd have to try 'em all to find what your gun does the best with. Like others said, .22's can be finicky.

Good bet the bulk pack Federals will give you good results.

We have a wide variety of .22's. The Federal bulk pack from Walmart does well in all of them, and you cant beat the price.

I have had good luck with 40gr Blazer bulk packs that are lead round nose. They work well in all our stuff, and that ranges from pistols, wheel guns, bolt action, lever action and semi auto rifles.

If I could only buy one for all of them, I'd stick with the Fed bulk packs.

When you start looking at ALL the .22 ammo available from bulk packs to match grade ammo, it's easy to spend a lot on a small amount of ammo and not get much different results than you'd get with the cheap stuff.

.22's are a ton of plinking fun!

(Perry County)

If you are going to use the rifle for paper and can punching then the Fed'l bulk packs from Wal Mart are winners. My Marlins like the white boxed 325 pack of "Auto Match". The copper washed 550 Value Packs are great but not quite as accurate in my rifles, although I am not a good enough shot to tell the difference with a handgun. So for an Appleseed or just practicing slow fire with a rifle the Auto match is great in a Marlin 795. For fast work or with a handgun the 550 Value Pack will save a bit. I try to keep 5,000+ rounds on hand at all times, as well as a variety of premium stuff for a bolt action target rifle and a variety of HV hunting ammo.

(Montgomery County)

I will only use a copper coated bullet. I will not use Remington.

Dane

(Chester County)

For my target rifle I only use Wolf Match Target ammo. For my Ruger pistol and 10/22 I use either Winchester or Federal bulk packs. I hate Remington Thunderbolts. Those were the nastiest dirtiest most unreliable ammo I've ever used.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    For my target rifle I only use Wolf Match Target ammo. For my Ruger pistol and 10/22 I use either Winchester or Federal bulk packs. I hate Remington Thunderbolts. Those were the nastiest dirtiest most unreliable ammo I've ever used.
    Funny how things change. Years ago I would avoid federal like the plaque. Thunderbolts were all I would use. The federals had so much wax or lube on the round that you could scrape it off with your thumb nail.

Now a days I mix it up and use whats on sale.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast