Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Taurus TCP

(Lehigh County)

Default Taurus TCP

So I searched the forums, and yes there are threads on this gun, primarily negative, but I thought adding another for people potentially interested in this gun would be beneficial, mostly because my experience has been very positive thus far.

I also want to note that most of the issues with the TCP happened with their "A" series (serial numbers ending in "A". The "B" series got better reviews, but with a fair mix of really crappy experiences. Mine happens to be a "C" series gun. I have found nothing about this series of guns anywhere, which is part of the reason I'm posting this.

So my EDC is a G23 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I love my glock, and the TCP is not a replacement. I have a convention to go to in Philly early next year, and I absolutely cannot risk printing while in attendance. Would it break any laws? Nope. BUT professionally speaking it would be suicide (I'll throw out that I'm a graduate student working towards my Ph.D. -- we all know how gun friendly academics are ). On the other hand, walking through Philly late at night back to my car is pretty close to real suicide (okay, that's an exaggeration, but all the same, I'm not dumb enough to think there is no danger).

That said, I've been looking at the LCP, the P3AT, and the TCP to fill the roll of a deep concealment / BUG. Basically, all three are the same gun. the TCP being different in that it has the slide lock on the last round, something I was immediately interested in because I'm sure I wouldn't be counting rounds if I needed to use the gun.

I liked the feel of the TCP the best, and I liked the trigger pull the best. The LCP's trigger break was odd to me, the P3AT's seemed shorter -- it's all personal preference, I walked away liking the TCP the best - despite terrible reviews by people (including people here).

I looked around a bit, I'm in the Lehigh Valley; Golden Trigger is down the street from me, they had $300+ on their TCP, went to Cabelas, didn't have TCP's, (The LCP and P3AT were both in the $270ish range if anyone is interested).

Made my way over to Boyer's in Slatington. They had a TCP for $199. Sold. Picked up a DeSantis nemesis holster and a spare mag. Brought it up, took it apart, and cleared off the 6 pounds of oil from the factory (it was really ridiculous how much crap was on that gun).

I took it to the range today to figure out if I wasted $200 on a paper weight to throw at my potential attacker. First mag fed flawlessly, not an issue. 2nd mag sucked, FTF, FTE. 3rd mag was fine, 4th mag sucked - actually the mag dropped out when I took a firm hold of the gun. I checked about 6 times to make sure I wasn't hitting the mag release. I wasn't. The pressure from my hand was enough to have the mag drop out. It didn't take me long to realize that it was a magazine issue, not a gun issue. I figured out that the spare mag I bought simply would not function with my TCP. I also noticed the spare mag wasn't seating correctly as I could simply pull it out, despite hearing the "click". No problems with the original magazine, just the spare.

Once I figured out which mag was giving me the problem, I put it aside and started shooting with just the original mag (the one that came in the gun). I did not have a problem what-so-ever. Shot just under 100 rds of Federal 95 grain FMJ and did not have a hiccup when using the original magazine. I honestly could not be happier with this little gun!

I'm far from a good shot, but here are the results of my last few magazines after getting a feel for the gun. Distance was 7 yards, about as far away as I could ever imagine needing to shoot this gun. I shot in both 1 and 2 shot bursts. They would all hit center of mass which is all I care about with this thing.

I'll brake this out into a second thread, or a post in a Boyer's review thread, but I took my gun and mags back to Boyer's, showed them the issue I was having. They grabbed a 2nd TCP mag, popped it in, had the same problem (could pull the mag out). They refunded my money for the spare magazine, no questions asked - Could not be happier with my experience with Boyer's.
    Last edited by Tetelestai; December 17th, 2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Clarification

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Taurus TCP

Im confused. Did they take back both the gun and the mag or just the extra mag? I havent looked iunto the TCP and really dont plan to but it seems like it was working for you.....with one of the mags anyway. My deep concealment piece is a KelTec P3AT. I dont like its trigger either but for what it is I dont mind. After its initial testing I take it to the range about twice a year, make sure it still runs and put it away again until I need to carry it. I hate guns that only come with one mag btw (like the KelTec). I have had good experience with Taurus. Good luck with it. Brian

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Im confused. Did they take back both the gun and the mag or just the extra mag? I havent looked iunto the TCP and really dont plan to but it seems like it was working for you.....with one of the mags anyway. My deep concealment piece is a KelTec P3AT. I dont like its trigger either but for what it is I dont mind. After its initial testing I take it to the range about twice a year, make sure it still runs and put it away again until I need to carry it. I hate guns that only come with one mag btw (like the KelTec). I have had good experience with Taurus. Good luck with it. Brian

Clarified in the original post -- they refunded the $$ for the spare magazine.

Thanks

(York County)

I just fired my new TCP for the first time today. And have to say I like it. Accurate for what it is. No problems on its first trip. Came with 2 mags, slide locks back on last round. What else could you ask for?

(Lehigh County)

OP - you will find there are many, many negative opinions on all Taurus products. I'm not really sure why. I've had 2 Taurus - 1 revolver (38s) and 1 Millenium Pro (9mm) and had no problems with either of them. I think it has something to do with them being made in Brazil. I dunno.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    OP - you will find there are many, many negative opinions on all Taurus products. I'm not really sure why. I've had 2 Taurus - 1 revolver (38s) and 1 Millenium Pro (9mm) and had no problems with either of them. I think it has something to do with them being made in Brazil. I dunno.
    Their revolvers have a much better reputation from what I read before my purchase. They seem to have QC issues with their semi-autos. As for them being made in Brazil - the TCP is made here in the US (Miami).