Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default hunting deer with a shotgun?

Hello all I was wondering who all out there hunts deer with a rifled barrel shotgun. I have a mossberg 500 that I hunt geese and duck with but have been thinking about buying a rifled barrel for it to hunt deer this season. Just looking for some general information.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: hunting deer with a shotgun?

Growing up, my Dad always hunted whitetail with a shotgun. A beautiful, old, bolt action, 16 gauge with slugs.

They are all that we are allowed to hunt with in Ill. With the new loads and barrels the range has been stretched to a comfortable 150 yds. Our smooth bores with forrester (?)slugs are deadly at about 100 yds.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lancaster County)

Well i figured buying a rifled barrel would be cheaper then buying deer rifle.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by kman25 View Post
    Well i figured buying a rifled barrel would be cheaper then buying deer rifle.
    In the short term maybe! With the cost of those fancy sabot slugs, you could probably save enough dough over the course of a year or two to buy a deer rifle. I've seen some of those slugs close to $15.00 for a box of 5. That's pretty steep shooting if you ask me.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    They are all that we are allowed to hunt with in Ill. With the new loads and barrels the range has been stretched to a comfortable 150 yds. Our smooth bores with forrester (?)slugs are deadly at about 100 yds.
    I'm guessing you have Crook County to thank for that. Are you guys any closer to kicking Chicago out of the state yet? You deserve so much better than having to settle with living with those slimeball politicians running your state without your consent.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Westmoreland County)

I don’t know your situation, But for about $300.00 you can pick up a Savage /Stevens 200 or a Marlin XL7. Both are pretty decent Rifles for the money. As said above the ammo is pretty steep on the high end slugs. And you will have over $100.00 in a slug barrel. I hunted Delaware for 16 years. And was glad to get back up here and away from slug hunting. Don’t get me wrong most deer are shot at 40 to 60 yards and a slug will do a job on a Deer. To me it just is not deer hunting with a shotgun.

(Jefferson County)

Depending on the distances you may have to shoot, a smoothbore shotgun with standard Foster slugs will suffice. I know guys down in NC that only use they shotguns and lead slugs out to 100yrds on deer reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    In the short term maybe! With the cost of those fancy sabot slugs, you could probably save enough dough over the course of a year or two to buy a deer rifle. I've seen some of those slugs close to $15.00 for a box of 5. That's pretty steep shooting if you ask me.
    jeeze how many deer you kill a year? i mean your not gonna be blasting all over the place on a hunting trip, and it only takes a few to get sighted in

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    jeeze how many deer you kill a year? i mean your not gonna be blasting all over the place on a hunting trip, and it only takes a few to get sighted in
    Thats what I was thinking, prob three shots to get it sighted in, and around here its easier to find shotgun ammo then it is any other. Im still looking for 9mm ammo that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. A friend of mine just spent $25 bucks for some .308 bullets and they only come in packs of 20.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast