Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

Cause alot fo people have ar15s but can't go hunting with them. I had an idea for a bolt that you can just replace to make it not cycle and able to use for hunting.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

I think there are a few states that dont allow semi-auto's, but I cant remember them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Default Re: is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

This has been discussed in length here before...sorry I couldn't find the threads. But the ruling consensus from the more knowledgeable members is that any conversion to a semi-auto rifle to make it "pa hunting legal," must be a permanent change, simply modifying the bolt carrier assembly so it won't cycle would not count.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Jefferson County)

There are changes that can be made to semi's to allow them to be used, but I think they must be mods that cant be changed in the field. I heard that a letter or inspection of the piece may be needed too - not sure how much truth there is to that though.

For the cost of the parts and labor to mod a good semi to manual action you can have a manually operated gun that can take anything from groundhog to elk.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I believe, after reading ATFs interpretation of "sporting use", after a poll of all 50 states game comissions, they found that only 17 states allow the taking of game animals with a semiauto rifle, and most have mag capacity restrictions.

the ATF only determines HUNTING to be a VALID 'sporting use" for the determination of importation of semi rifles and shotguns...

this is what they use to ban the importation of AKs and other "military" style rifles
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Somerset County)

Odd, but the use of a semi automatic shotgun is legal!!!

Nothing like double standards. Many states allow the use of semi automatic rifles, some with magazine limitations and some without.

Some interesting reading on the SIG 551

Question 7 is interesting:

7. Do State game commissioners allow the use of the rifle to
    hunt?
    a. Number of State Game Commissions responding 42.
    b. Number of State Game Commissions who permit use of
    high power semi-automatic rifles 42.
    c. Number of State Game Commissions who do not permit
    use of high power semi-automatic rifles 0.

They must have missed Pennsylvania.

Exerpt from http://www.biggerhammer.net/sigamt/atf.html
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

George Orwell

(Delaware County)

It would be nice to at least be able to use semi-auto rimfires such as Ruger 10/22s for squirrels and such. Just love my pliinker and would love to knock off some tree rats with it.

(Cambria County)

I'd say that the PA Game commission has some problems and dealing with this is last on their list. Most that I've run into know little about black rifles. They often give conflicting statements too. An example would be whether or not Suppressors are legal for hunting deer in PA. Some have received statements claiming that it is...while others have gotten letters saying they're not legal. I'd say go for it..it's not in the hunting handbook and takes 5 seconds to take it off if need be...

On the AR subject...if you cut a gas tube in 1/2 using the gas block end and crimp it you'll make your rifle a straight pull single shot for less than $15. The adjustable gas tubes that allow you to shut off your gas are not legal...because you can use an allen wrench to switch it back in the field. If you do make your AR a single shot expect to get the evil eye from any WCO's you run into because they probably won't even know the law...

CMS

(Perry County)

This might be a switch, but IMO allowing semi-automatic rifles is really a horrible idea. Your rate of wounded animals, especially if allowed for big game, would increase dramatically. Fact of the matter is, when you can pull the trigger over and over in rapid succession, you will take more careful aim and will make better shots. You can ballyhoo all you like about your ability to make careful shots with a semi, but the fact of the matter is that you won't. If your first shot misses, there's a much higher probability that you'll rattle off more poor shots than if you use a manually loading firearm.

I would be HEAVILY opposed to any change in the hunting regulations that would allow semi-automatic rifles in big game seasons. Small game and varmints aren't really as big of a deal, but if it were an all or nothing thing.. I say nothing.

(Lycoming County)

Well the reason why i created this thread was because for all intents an ar is just a fun gun then if you can't use it to hunt, varmits its ok but big game it is not.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast