Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    Are you talking hunting ? You can't hunt with full auto anywhere that I'm aware of.
    Your response seems to be from a different point of view than the post by me you quoted. You make it sound like it is assumed it is not allowed unless you heard about it. The opposite is true. It has to be specifically prohibited for it not to be OK. So where you might assume it's not allowed anywhere you are aware of I would have to find it prohibitted for any specific location.

And, as I see the direction of the thread overall, of course I am not going to hunt deer with full auto. That’s not the point opf my question.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

I'm not sure how many states you've hunted in but all the states I hunted in define what type of firearms you are allowed to use. I just stated that I'm not aware of any that allow full auto. Maybe you know something I don't
    I never stated it as a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Your response seems to be from a different point of view than the post by me you quoted. You make it sound like it is assumed it is not allowed unless you heard about it. The opposite is true. It has to be specifically prohibited for it not to be OK. So where you might assume it's not allowed anywhere you are aware of I would have to find it prohibitted for any specific location.

And, as I see the direction of the thread overall, of course I am not going to hunt deer with full auto. That’s not the point opf my question.

(Perry County)

From the annual digest, which can be found at this link

Unlawful Firearms & Devices: 1) Automatic and semi-automatic
    (autoloading) rifles and handguns; 2) air or gas operated rifles
    and handguns.

The PGC specifically prohibits hunting with automatic weapons.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmark.35 View Post
    This might be a switch, but IMO allowing semi-automatic rifles is really a horrible idea. Your rate of wounded animals, especially if allowed for big game, would increase dramatically. Fact of the matter is, when you can pull the trigger over and over in rapid succession, you will take more careful aim and will make better shots.
    The above is purely speculation.

I think that you either take careful first shot, or you don't. I don't think the type of gun you are toting makes much difference in your patience and care in placing your shot.

I grew up in a semi-state and have taken numerous deer w/semi's (garand/M1A).
    Never lost a deer (archery too).

Only once ever shoot a deer twice .... and that was with my M70 bolt

I got news for you. The idiot hunters are idiots no matter what kind of gun they are allowed to use. Why should we pay the price? I see this issue exactly the way I see gun control. Please don't burden me with laws and restrictions that will do nothing to cure the problems caused by idiots.

I would be 100% for semi-autos.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; March 3rd, 2008 at 12:42 PM.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I got news for you. The idiot hunters are idiots no matter what kind of gun they are allowed to use.
    Purely speculation. Say what you want, but you can't tell me that an increased rate of fire will not result in a proportional amount of poor follow up shots. Congratulations on your personal shots/kill record. The whole point of my post was that follow up shots will be less carefully taken.

Indeed you either take a good first shot or you don't. Increased ROF will almost certainly increase the amount of poor follow-up shots taken.

(Luzerne County)

...but you can't tell me that an increased rate of fire will not result in a proportional amount of poor follow up shots.
    What I will say is that it may or may not. IMO, it is not guaranteed like you are claiming.

I'll agree to disagree with you. I base my opinion on having hunted in more than one state that allows semi-autos and not seeing any of what you are concerned with.

(Lancaster County)

Cool Re: is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

I got news for you. The idiot hunters are idiots no matter what kind of gun they are allowed to use. Why should we pay the price? I see this issue exactly the way I see gun control. Please don't burden me with laws and restrictions that will do nothing to cure the problems caused by idiots.

I would be 100% for semi-autos.
    Pa. Patriot, I agree with you 100%. I also have hunted in several other States that allow the use of semi-autos and never saw a problem.

I just guess the hunters in those States are much more responsable than PA hunters.

(Allegheny County)

Purely speculation. Say what you want, but you can't tell me that an increased rate of fire will not result in a proportional amount of poor follow up shots. Congratulations on your personal shots/kill record. The whole point of my post was that follow up shots will be less carefully taken.

Indeed you either take a good first shot or you don't. Increased ROF will almost certainly increase the amount of poor follow-up shots taken.
    You are correct, sir. Your post is pure speculation.

A lever or pump can be cycled nearly as fast, the difference being you can keep your sight picture with a semi. Now it's my turn to speculate. If I can keep my sight picture, giving me more time for a less hurried followup shot if necessary, I am more likely to put that animal down quickly and ethically.

Am I more likely to blast away at a CMP shoot just because I have a semi, I think not.

Everyone, no matter how consistent, has taken a bad shot at some point in time, for some of us it has happened when the crosshairs were on an animal. I, for one, would like the opportunity to put that animal down quickly and ethically with a fast, well aimed followup shot, rather than cycling a lever, pump, or bolt, loosing my sight picture, hurrying to regain sight picture as the wounded animal is running away and taking a poorly aimed hurried shot before it disappears into the trees.

(edited for better formatting)
    Last edited by ham385; March 23rd, 2008 at 11:54 AM.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    You are correct, sir. Your post is pure speculation.

A lever or pump can be cycled nearly as fast, the difference being you can keep your sight picture with a semi. Now it's my turn to speculate. If I can keep my sight picture, giving me more time for a less hurried followup shot if necessary, I am more likely to put that animal down quickly and ethically.

Am I more likely to blast away at a CMP shoot just because I have a semi, I think not.

Everyone, no matter how consistent, has taken a bad shot at some point in time, for some of us it has happened when the crosshairs were on an animal. I, for one, would like the opportunity to put that animal down quickly and ethically with a fast, well aimed followup shot, rather than cycling a lever, pump, or bolt, loosing my sight picture, hurrying to regain sight picture as the wounded animal is running away and taking a poorly aimed hurried shot before it disappears into the trees.

(edited for better formatting)

You're entitled to your opinion. Still doesn't convince me.

(Allegheny County)

the question of whether or not allowing semis would lead to more injured animals (which are either not taken or require follow-up shots to be taken) should (in theory at least) be answerable on an empirical level (rather just theoretical).

there are numerous states that allow semis. are there fewer one-shot kills in those states? are there more wounded animals that are not taken in those states?

i'm not sure if anyone has ever tracked these statistics, but, if so, we could do away with the theoretical speculation and see what the empirical reality is.

(btw, i don't know what the answer is. buckmark's argument certainly sounds reasonable, but is that the way it really happens?

for example, some people can make a very compelling theoretical argument that there should be laws against carrying while drinking or carrying while in a bar. yet, states that have no such laws...like PA...do not seem to have an epidemic of bar shootings on their hands.)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast