Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

Is it prohibited to hunt with a full-auto rifle as well? Serious question.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: is pa the only state where you can't go hunting with a semi auto rifle?

+1 to that. Also add most of the states I hunted that allowed semi autos
    very few big game hunters use them. Mostly used for varmints only.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmark.35 View Post
    This might be a switch, but IMO allowing semi-automatic rifles is really a horrible idea. Your rate of wounded animals, especially if allowed for big game, would increase dramatically. Fact of the matter is, when you can pull the trigger over and over in rapid succession, you will take more careful aim and will make better shots. You can ballyhoo all you like about your ability to make careful shots with a semi, but the fact of the matter is that you won't. If your first shot misses, there's a much higher probability that you'll rattle off more poor shots than if you use a manually loading firearm.

I would be HEAVILY opposed to any change in the hunting regulations that would allow semi-automatic rifles in big game seasons. Small game and varmints aren't really as big of a deal, but if it were an all or nothing thing.. I say nothing.

(Wayne County)

hmmmmmmmmmm yes

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Is it prohibited to hunt with a full-auto rifle as well? Serious question.
    Last edited by JDC; February 28th, 2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: mistake

(Northampton County)

Reason I ask is that in NJ a guy was charged with magazine over 15 rounds but he got out of it because his weapon was not semi auto as the ban applied to - it was full auto. He must be part of the very, very small club of FA owners in NJ.

I was thinking it could be possible that the hunting regs in PA similarly discussed semi auto but did not consider full auto.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
    Odd, but the use of a semi automatic shotgun is legal!!!

Nothing like double standards.
    well, to add to your "double standards" debate...

shotguns also have a mag limit, while rifles dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmark.35 View Post
    This might be a switch, but IMO allowing semi-automatic rifles is really a horrible idea. Your rate of wounded animals, especially if allowed for big game, would increase dramatically. Fact of the matter is, when you can pull the trigger over and over in rapid succession, you will take more careful aim and will make better shots. You can ballyhoo all you like about your ability to make careful shots with a semi, but the fact of the matter is that you won't. If your first shot misses, there's a much higher probability that you'll rattle off more poor shots than if you use a manually loading firearm.

I would be HEAVILY opposed to any change in the hunting regulations that would allow semi-automatic rifles in big game seasons. Small game and varmints aren't really as big of a deal, but if it were an all or nothing thing.. I say nothing.
    no, i wont.

but i also believe most will and agree 100%
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
    Well the reason why i created this thread was because for all intents an ar is just a fun gun then if you can't use it to hunt, varmits its ok but big game it is not.
    not 100% sure of what your saying there, but it is not legal for varmints according to the pagc handbook.

(Wayne County)

Are you talking hunting ? You can't hunt with full auto anywhere that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Reason I ask is that in NJ a guy was charged with magazine over 15 rounds but he got out of it because his weapon was not semi auto as the ban applied to - it was full auto. He must be part of the very, very small club of FA owners in NJ.

I was thinking it could be possible that the hunting regs in PA similarly discussed semi auto but did not consider full auto.

(Susquehanna County)

I think in PA you can hunt with a semi if your handicapped. Other then that why would you want to. If you can't drop them with a bolt action what makes you think you can drop them with a semi.

Beside you hit it with a semi you may ruin it enough that it's uneatable. Might just as well use a frag grenadine

(Venango County)

I dunno....I've seen people throw a hellish amount of lead from Pump 760's. I can crank 9 rounds outta my 1894 pretty damn fast as well.
    I really don't think allowing Semi's will lead to any more bad shots than there already are....
    i just would really like to have an AR varminter cause it's cool!
    I probably will end up getting one, and removing the gas tube and flipping the gas block...probably get arrested, though

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast