Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default New guy with some a question

Hey all,
    So i am brand new to this forum, and well, pretty new to the gun world, as a whole. i currently own a Ruger SR-9 and a Mosin 91/30 "tula". i have also owned a Mossberg 500 8rd in the past that i wasn't thrilled with. anywho, i am looking at selling my Ruger because i just want something different, possibly to carry. i also want a camp rifle because i do a fair amount of camping in bear country. so i' looking to make 2 new purchases in next week or two. i was looking at sig 2022 for carry and range and an SKS for camping. now i do not like shooting glock, but am open to sugestions or comments. (although i dont have alot of cash, so) thanks for your input.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New guy with some a question

I'm a big fan of the Springfield armory XD. I have the Compact and subcompact. Fired over 10,000 rounds through it and only had one issue ever, around 8,000 rounds or so (i think) the trigger safety spring broke and the firearm stopped working altogether. I don't know if that was just because of use or a fluke or what but surely 8,000 trouble free rounds in a few years indicates that its pretty reliable. Springfield also paid for me to ship it back to them and they fixed it and shipped it back in about a week or so at absolutely no cost to me.

(Chester County)

i do dig Springfield. they do some high quality stuff but its just not all that comfy in my hands. i mean i only shot about 50 rds though an XDM .40 but just not a natural point for me.

(Delaware County)

try a glock 19, a standard to judge others against.

camp rifle? well you can not hunt with semi auto in PA so for something easy to cary into bear land I'd try a 30-30 lever action.
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by greenedog88 View Post
    Hey all,

i was looking at sig 2022 for carry and range and an SKS for camping. now i do not like shooting glock, but am open to sugestions or comments. (although i dont have alot of cash, so) thanks for your input.

Had a 2022 in 9mm. Would shoot 500 rds in less than 2 hrs, at a time. What a beast, and reliable. It is thick, but lighter than my Colt.

No particular reason for selling it. No regrets either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramagnus View Post
    try a glock 19, a standard to judge others against.

camp rifle? well you can not hunt with semi auto in PA so for something easy to cary into bear land I'd try a 30-30 lever action.

Hunting aside, I was going to suggest a lever action too.
    They can be had in many calibers and are a heck of a lot less cumbersome than an SKS.

Note that I am a big fan of the SKS, but depending on the intended usage, there may be better options.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Note that I am a big fan of the SKS, but depending on the intended usage, there may be better options.
    Same here, for bear you should think about something a lot heavier than 7.62x39. I'd want at least an M1 rifle, maybe take your Mosin if you're short on cash. But, that might have some implications with the PA Game Commission. As in, carrying a rifle in the woods may be prima facie evidence of hunting, with or without a license. Also note that depending on where your "bear country" is, it might be shotgun only. Maybe someone more familiar with hunting regulations can advise on this detail.

WRT to your venue: You'll be severely restricted where you can fire an SKS around West Chester. Shooting larger game in WC is out. You might want to consider a 22 unless you're on a very large private tract.

My camping gun is usually a stainless 22 of sorts. The M6 Scout and Ruger Single Six get the highest marks based on actual field use. Obviously not suitable for bear, but they see a lot of local use.

Edit to add: I just realized this is in the pistol forum, maybe a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Chester County)

Thank you guys for the suggestions. As far as the pistol, i have shot the Glock 19 and i like the size, but imo i'm just not a fan of any other part of it. i think i'm going to get that 2022, but i have to shot it more first. in regards to the camp rifle, i have heard some things about all the rifle restrictions in pa and wouldn't want to risk a fine. i do a good bit of camping on some private land in NY as well though, so i would still like to have something for bears and stuff, but i like the the lever suggestion any good, inexpensive options?

(Lackawanna County)

Marlin 336 or 30AS. They can be bought used pretty cheaply.

(Chester County)

+1 for the Marlin 336.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast