Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Local Gunshop, bad experience *UPDATE*

Well, a local shop, some of you from this area may know of it "Mauers Trading post".

They relatively recently, put a sign on the front door, stating all firearms going upstairs (into the gun section) have to have a tag. I have spoken with the owner, and he has explained it is just to make sure they know, it is one that was brought in, and not one that someone is looking at. Understandable.

As I open carry primarily, and CC under my coat in the winter, I always stop at the front counter, ask for a tag, and go upstairs to do my shopping.

I walk in, ask for a tag "Is it unloaded? It has to be unloaded?" I explain that it is not, I am not there looking for any holsters, or accessories for this firearm, and it will be staying in it's holster as my carry piece.

She calls upstairs, talks to one of the guys that works there, he says it is fine. Alright, similar things have happened there. No big deal.

I get upstairs, and he starts giving me a hard time about OC. I explain that I am CCing today, and that I was only following their posted rules, that I need to follow for the property. At which point in time, several people say "Well, I never check mine. I just conceal and don't tell anyone". I look at the employee, he says "Yeah, if no one knows, no one cares. Right?" So, at this point in time, I'm shaking my head.

I go about, looking for a present for my brother for Christmas. Look at a $99 AR single point sling. A $95 magpul stock. Just things that are way overpriced.

I start to leave, and look at the knives downstairs. There is a sign above some "automatic" knives, stating that sales are only to law enforcement, or EMTs. I pause for a second, because these are only $30. I ask the lady downstairs if these are "automatic" or "spring assisted". She is unsure, and gets one of the guys that work there. He confirms that they are not automatic, but instead spring assisted. And then, explains to me before they can sell one to anyone, they have to get some documentation, and send it to the local PD. At this point in time, I am just blown away.

He then, continues to tell me, that the springs, for the SPRING assisted knives, are removed, and then sent to the local PD. So, after confirming if you are an EMT or a LEO, you then sign documentation, and have to go to the police station, just to get the spring.

Now, around this point, I'm starting to get a twitch. I have been shopping there since I was 12. I've purchased countless rifles, and pistols. Not to mention, gun oil, cleaning supplies, gear, accessories, ammo. And never, never has it been this bad.

I then explain to the woman, that there was a guy upstairs who was carrying, and ignored the sign because he "didn't care". And that employees upstairs didn't care either. At this, she became quite flustered. I told her to let Jodi (the owner) know, that his sign only works when people are honest, and that the honest people are being hassled about it. Not to mention because of the knives, he would not be getting a single red cent from me, ever again.

I will not be purchasing anything more from this store, and will instead drive an extra 20 minutes to gunworld, just because the many times I have been there, at least they know the law.

Just fuming right now, because I have always frequented that place. Even spending $25 on a box of federal .45 just to keep local businesses alive.

*UPDATE*

Well, just happened to stop by on a nice day, to talk to the employees, and see if the owner is in. Turns out they are changing the sign on the door, to mention that carried weapons are exempt from being checked. From what I understand, someone came in, saw the sign, pulled his revolver out of his holster and set it down on the counter, and told the girl working to "check it".

This was done in plain view of other customers, and the owner. Had to get a chuckle. And, since they are no longer going to be giving too much trouble (one of the guys still razzes me about OC), I picked up some powder, and primers.
    Last edited by Connal; March 7th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

Default Re: Local Gunshop, bad experience

I applaud your faithfulness over the years toward this business. Loyalty to me means a hell of alot. Unfortunately, not everyone views loyalty the way I do.
    If you feel disrespected, I think you should speak with the owner directly and express your feelings. If he kisses your ass enough, great, stay a loyal customer. If not, then move on. Just my opinion.

CL

(Philadelphia County)

How about trying to contact the owner and letting him know how his employees are acting when he isn't there. It's a shame to stop shopping at a place you like for a long time without giving the owner the benefit of the doubt to correct a problem.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinPhilly View Post
    How about trying to contact the owner and letting him know how his employees are acting when he isn't there. It's a shame to stop shopping at a place you like for a long time without giving the owner the benefit of the doubt to correct a problem.
    It isn't the first time I have had issues up there. And I have voiced my concerns with other things to him. Those things are not part of this situation. However, on other occasions they give me a hard time when I ask for a tag, just to have someone else upstairs correct them. He has said before he would alter the sign to exclude carry weapons. However, to date, he has not done it. And while that sign says "ALL", I would always stop to make sure I follow the rules to a "T".

I've been to gunworld OCing, and they say "You going to be unholstering it for any reason?" I say no, and they have no problem.

The issue at mauers, is he added a "restaurant" there, where you can get subs and pizza. And the front desk is now staffed by people who are told incorrect information about laws, and regulations.

(Erie County)

Always wanted to stop in there, haven't made it yet. What about that other shop a mile or so north? Near the airport. Ever been in there?
    I liked Gunworld. Parked the truck in their back lot and strolled around a bit. Decent prices, real friendly folks.
    One of these days we're planning a gun run. Several stores from Erie to Grice's, and back.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Erie County)

Tell the owner to post a sign similar to the one that is in the door of

Bob's Gun Shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Always wanted to stop in there, haven't made it yet. What about that other shop a mile or so north? Near the airport. Ever been in there?
    I liked Gunworld. Parked the truck in their back lot and strolled around a bit. Decent prices, real friendly folks.
    One of these days we're planning a gun run. Several stores from Erie to Grice's, and back.
    Gun town mountain is an . . interesting place. Never had any issues there, but I know of many people that have. Gary is a nice guy, at times. One of the guys there "Tom", is a great guy, always gives me good deals when he has something I like. Gary has a bunch of groupies though, that normally hold precedent over everything else.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Well, a local shop, some of you from this area may know of it "Mauers Trading post".

They relatively recently, put a sign on the front door, stating all firearms going upstairs (into the gun section) have to have a tag. I have spoken with the owner, and he has explained it is just to make sure they know, it is one that was brought in, and not one that someone is looking at. Understandable.

As I open carry primarily, and CC under my coat in the winter, I always stop at the front counter, ask for a tag, and go upstairs to do my shopping.

I walk in, ask for a tag "Is it unloaded? It has to be unloaded?" I explain that it is not, I am not there looking for any holsters, or accessories for this firearm, and it will be staying in it's holster as my carry piece.

She calls upstairs, talks to one of the guys that works there, he says it is fine. Alright, similar things have happened there. No big deal.

I get upstairs, and he starts giving me a hard time about OC. I explain that I am CCing today, and that I was only following their posted rules, that I need to follow for the property. At which point in time, several people say "Well, I never check mine. I just conceal and don't tell anyone". I look at the employee, he says "Yeah, if no one knows, no one cares. Right?" So, at this point in time, I'm shaking my head.

I go about, looking for a present for my brother for Christmas. Look at a $99 AR single point sling. A $95 magpul stock. Just things that are way overpriced.

I start to leave, and look at the knives downstairs. There is a sign above some "automatic" knives, stating that sales are only to law enforcement, or EMTs. I pause for a second, because these are only $30. I ask the lady downstairs if these are "automatic" or "spring assisted". She is unsure, and gets one of the guys that work there. He confirms that they are not automatic, but instead spring assisted. And then, explains to me before they can sell one to anyone, they have to get some documentation, and send it to the local PD. At this point in time, I am just blown away.

He then, continues to tell me, that the springs, for the SPRING assisted knives, are removed, and then sent to the local PD. So, after confirming if you are an EMT or a LEO, you then sign documentation, and have to go to the police station, just to get the spring.

Now, around this point, I'm starting to get a twitch. I have been shopping there since I was 12. I've purchased countless rifles, and pistols. Not to mention, gun oil, cleaning supplies, gear, accessories, ammo. And never, never has it been this bad.

I then explain to the woman, that there was a guy upstairs who was carrying, and ignored the sign because he "didn't care". And that employees upstairs didn't care either. At this, she became quite flustered. I told her to let Jodi (the owner) know, that his sign only works when people are honest, and that the honest people are being hassled about it. Not to mention because of the knives, he would not be getting a single red cent from me, ever again.

I will not be purchasing anything more from this store, and will instead drive an extra 20 minutes to gunworld, just because the many times I have been there, at least they know the law.

Just fuming right now, because I have always frequented that place. Even spending $25 on a box of federal .45 just to keep local businesses alive.
    The whole thing sounds retarded, especially the knife part. Assisted openers are legal; they're not autos in any way, shape or form. Most also don't use springs, they use torsion bars. Taking them out of the knives would void any warranty they may have had. That's just assfuck retarded, in 100 different ways.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinPhilly View Post
    I doubt that the employees are removing the springs from the knives, sending them to the police station and making customers go pick them up without the owner knowing about it. I say find a new shop and let him know why.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    Most also don't use springs, they use torsion bars.
    nitpick time. a torsion bar is a also known as a torsion spring because it is a spring.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast